Reviews Opinion

Vella

Is iníon léinn mé
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all.

I've been freelancing for a year or so now, and I'm still trying to get established. I'm in uni, so my income does leave something to be desired currently.
I've found a magazine which is looking for book review contributors. It looks legit so far, and I've got enough experience with writing articles and things that I think I'm in with a shot.

But I've read in a few places that it's considered quite bad form for writers to write reviews, and quite frowned upon. I can understand where they're coming from; a writer reviewing in their own genre has a bias against their competition - conflict of interest. However, I also think a writer will be widely-enough read in their own genre, and know it well enough, to be able to make informed reviews.

So what do people think? Should I go for the job, or is that a major faux pas? If it helps, I'm not published yet, and probably won't be for at least a year.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In the professional/paid arena it is quite normal for reviewers to also be published authors.

Vella

Is iníon léinn mé
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks - I think my plan might be to stop once I'm published, just in case.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
But I've read in a few places that it's considered quite bad form for writers to write reviews, and quite frowned upon.

Not by anyone worth listening to.

RussPostHoc

Jackalope of All Trades
Registered
Reaction score
My first published work was a (comic) book review.

About fifteen years later, I published my first book.

About fifteen minutes after that, I was asked to write several book reviews--and wrote them.

Writers review other writers' work constantly, and it's often some of their best work. David Foster Wallace's review of John Updike's last novel was terrific, even if you don't much care for Updike, and his review of Bryan Garner's Dictionary of Modern American Usage (published as "Authority and American Usage" in Consider the Lobster) is one of the most fantastic essays I've ever read.

So yeah, take the gig.

Mystikal

Registered
Reaction score
I'd take a review more seriously if a person who actually wrote good novel/biographies/articles/etc. did the reviewing. Typically, reading an article written by someone who I have no idea who they are won't phase me in the slightest. Carry on writing, most people won't be bothered. Can you share the site?