Things you took for granted

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Lace.

I saw it everywhere in historical paintings. And besides, it's cheap in the store. Then I made it.

It's not boring, but it is somewhat tedious if you aren't paying attention. Tatting, needlepoint, crochet, knitting and bobbin. Bobbin is the worst. Bobbin lace makes the prettiest results, but you can have a heart attack giving it to someone because they don't realize that the lace you made took 3 months even though it's a mere 4 inches. (Plus you have to have really good eyesight.)

If you get a joint wrong it's also a pain to fix.

Tatting by far is the fastest, but far less intuitive in terms of making a reasonable pattern.

Those fancy lace bits you see in those paintings before machine lace could take a year or more to make. Only the rich had them.

I used to make bobbin lace so I've always noticed the amount of anachronistic lace in historical fiction - either lace in medieval or early Tudor books where it didn't exist at all, or whole gowns made from lace when that would have been far too expensive. People seem very reluctant to abandon the idea of the lace wedding dress.
It's something that writers who are otherwise good get wrong. I do wonder if they're misled by the word 'lace' which was used earlier but meant decorative braids on clothing or ties for joining different bits of clothing together.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's oddly funny that the only sound I have is a word for gate. And linguists have no clue beyond that. How do you fake it from that??

We take language for granted that it won't die out... but language death to this level happens.

Languages die all the time. There are hundreds of languages currently spoken (by a dwindling handful of people) that will be completely extinct in a few years, and most of them are barely documented, if at all. There are plenty of languages that are known to have existed and were even important, but have left little or no trace of their existence. I believe English contains ghostlike scraps of several (though I can't remember the specific words in question).

Place names sometimes hold the fossilized remains of dead languages and prior inhabitants -- frex, the new guys on the scene say, what's that called? Local informant: that's the river. New guys: okay, that's the River river.

How we got the river Avon. And Torpenhow Hill ("Hill hill hill Hill"). There are a lot of place names that can easily be translated into meaning, but a lot whose meaning is lost in time because the language went away but the name was left behind.

Tom from UK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwilliamsauthor.co.uk
Just a couple of thoughts about light. Our house is Edwardian, not Victorian, but I was brought up in a Victorian house and one thing that the houses I've lived in have that modern houses don't is really big windows. Windows in modern homes are very small by comparison. And Victorian houses were big on bay windows. (Even the littler terraced house we once lived in had a big bay window.)

I also spend quite a lot of time in countryside where there is very little outdoor lighting. Once your eyes get used to it, it's amazing how well you can see by moonlight.

I was once in the Andes, miles from any kind of lighting at all. When I went outside on a cloudy night, I expected to be effectively blind, but there was still light enough to move about without bumping into things. It was quite weird - just a sort of very pale glow in the sky. (This was in the middle of the night, so we're not talking about the last of twilight. And it was far too remote to be light from any towns reflected on the clouds.)

It must have varied a lot with your exact circumstances. A poor person in a small house with small windows on a narrow street in a city constantly foggy from chimney smoke would have had a very different experience of light and darkness from someone living in a house in the country with big windows and clear views.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I took for granted fences and pavements or footpaths in little old Sydney's outer suburbs...until I remembered that many weren't on the front of properties in many suburbs until the seventies and still some don't have them.

Last edited:

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I also spend quite a lot of time in countryside where there is very little outdoor lighting. Once your eyes get used to it, it's amazing how well you can see by moonlight.

I was once in the Andes, miles from any kind of lighting at all. When I went outside on a cloudy night, I expected to be effectively blind, but there was still light enough to move about without bumping into things. It was quite weird - just a sort of very pale glow in the sky. (This was in the middle of the night, so we're not talking about the last of twilight. And it was far too remote to be light from any towns reflected on the clouds.)

It must have varied a lot with your exact circumstances. A poor person in a small house with small windows on a narrow street in a city constantly foggy from chimney smoke would have had a very different experience of light and darkness from someone living in a house in the country with big windows and clear views.

I like your point about chimney smoke. I stayed in a large campsite recently where each pitch had its own place for a woodfire, and the way the smoke hung over the site once the evening fell and everyone lit their fires was quite spectacular. (Seeing that was the highlight of the trip for me - 'you know you're a historical novelist when.....'!)

Do you know Jenny Uglow's book The Lunar Men? The group of scientists she writes about used to time their meetings by the phases of the moon so they could travel home safely afterwards.

When it comes to interior lighting at night, though, I have just learnt from Roger Ekirch's amazing book on the history of night-time, At Day's Close, about the importance of shuttering the house up at dusk. So the moonlight coming into the house would be limited by the shutters.

My parents' Georgian house has tiny oval peepholes in the shutters of the main bedroom, and I like to think about shafts of moonlight coming through them, in the days before streetlighting.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Just a couple of thoughts about light. Our house is Edwardian, not Victorian, but I was brought up in a Victorian house and one thing that the houses I've lived in have that modern houses don't is really big windows. Windows in modern homes are very small by comparison. And Victorian houses were big on bay windows. (Even the littler terraced house we once lived in had a big bay window.)

THIS. It's my main gripe with modern houses. They're built with electric lighting and central air in mind, which I guess is fine since those things exist now. But I prefer big windows and cross-breezes. The old house I grew up in, circa 1820, has enormous windows and fantastic light at all times of the day. Open the doors, and the breeze passes through. Even the apartment I now live in, circa 1950, has pretty big windows and good lighting. But the apartment I used to live in, circa 1980? Dark as a tomb and very depressing.

ETA: A little bit of moonlight or starlight can go a long way, if your eyes adjust to it. I've heard of people being able to pick their way through the forest by the light of the Milky Way.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
THIS. It's my main gripe with modern houses. They're built with electric lighting and central air in mind, which I guess is fine since those things exist now. But I prefer big windows and cross-breezes. The old house I grew up in, circa 1820, has enormous windows and fantastic light at all times of the day. Open the doors, and the breeze passes through. Even the apartment I now live in, circa 1950, has pretty big windows and good lighting. But the apartment I used to live in, circa 1980? Dark as a tomb and very depressing.

We rarely have aircon in England. When the weather's hot I thank my lucky stars I live in an old house.
An architect friend tells me that the reason windows have got so small recently is that building regs requiring double glazing have raised the cost of windows. Meanwhile, rooms got smaller when legislation stipulating a minimum room size for council housing was lifted. Up to that point, privately-built housing exceeded those requirements even though they didn't apply to them, but now everyone just builds the smallest rooms they can get away with because we have a tradition of selling houses by the number of bedrooms, not the total floor area.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
We rarely have aircon in England. When the weather's hot I thank my lucky stars I live in an old house.
An architect friend tells me that the reason windows have got so small recently is that building regs requiring double glazing have raised the cost of windows. Meanwhile, rooms got smaller when legislation stipulating a minimum room size for council housing was lifted. Up to that point, privately-built housing exceeded those requirements even though they didn't apply to them, but now everyone just builds the smallest rooms they can get away with because we have a tradition of selling houses by the number of bedrooms, not the total floor area.

Cooler climate. Granted, our old house didn't have any form of AC until about eight or nine years ago . . . but good Lord was it a relief to get that window unit! 90 F is considered a heat wave in most parts of the UK. During most summers (not this one), 90 F is a nice relief from the heat around here!

And yes to tiny rooms. Especially in the UK, space is at a premium. It's a little less so in the US.

Ramsay

Crazy like a fox, or just crazy?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fccfellowship.org
Mayqueen, same here - I found it dangerous, too, when I FOUND any related research, the way I wanted to use too much of it or spend too much time on it. The amount of time I spent on Tarpan mounts was awful! And I cut every last word of it in edits.

Same here! I read fascinating stuff, then I want to write a whole paragraph discussing it. Then I realize I'm writing a novel, not an encyclopedia. :poke:

So far I haven't written anything that I've discovered shouldn't be there. However, I'll never forget one historical novel I read. The author had the hero attend a party where Tchaikovsky was a guest. Only problem was, the story was set several years after Tchaikovsky died. :rant:

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Kissing as in between mother and child was commonplace before then. However, records show that the first mention of romantic kissing ever was in India, mentioned in the Mahabharata which was only written much later.

Yeah... Alexander the Great... >.<;; Several sources supported this, including the BBC, several scholars, etc. Which made it harder to refute.

Not sure what those other sites said, but if it's as simplistic as kissing only existed in India pre-Alexander, I'm afraid that's nonsense. Kissing certainly existed in the middle East long before then. The Hebrew text I work on is hard to date precisely, but was written somewhere between 1000BC and 600BC, and the first line is 'Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth.' It's also worth remembering that things can exist a long time before anyone writes about them - especially intimate, romantic gestures. How many love poems pre-date this era, for instance? Where would you expect to find people writing about kissing so that you can note its absence?

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
So, I was curious and did a little bit of research. All the internet sites I found that link Alexander the Great to the spread of kissing cite the same source - an article by Dr Vaughn Bryant of Texas A&M. I looked him up and found the original article. (As an aside, it's co-authored by Sylvia Grider. Interesting that her name was never mentioned where the article was referenced, only his.) It's a magazine article, not a scholarly paper, and it gives a very broad sweep of the history of kissing in a short section of the article, which is mostly about why we kiss under the mistletoe. Reading it, it's very clear to me that the Alexander theory (which he puts forward as a suggestion, not something that is confirmed by any actual evidence) doesn't hold up at all. He seems wholly unaware of all the Ancient Near Eastern love poetry, for a start. I don't know enough to know what else he might have missed.

I also found some scientists suggesting that kissing is an instinctive, rather than learned, behaviour. Again, I don't know enough to know whether their arguments are persuasive.

Bottom line: I'd be very cautious of drawing any firm conclusions based on the articles initially referenced. And if you want your characters to kiss, they probably can.

Last edited:

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what those other sites said, but if it's as simplistic as kissing only existed in India pre-Alexander, I'm afraid that's nonsense. Kissing certainly existed in the middle East long before then. The Hebrew text I work on is hard to date precisely, but was written somewhere between 1000BC and 600BC, and the first line is 'Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth.' It's also worth remembering that things can exist a long time before anyone writes about them - especially intimate, romantic gestures. How many love poems pre-date this era, for instance? Where would you expect to find people writing about kissing so that you can note its absence?

Yeah. Kissing seems pretty primal to me. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing anyone would have to invent. Even in a non-sexual sense, what's the first thing you want to do when you see an adorable baby? Kiss it's chubby cheeks. I think it's just something innate in us.

Last edited:

Ramsay

Crazy like a fox, or just crazy?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fccfellowship.org

The New Testament also references giving fellow believers the "kiss of peace". Clearly this was a widespread act since the authors don't explain it.

Personally, I think that since love and sex have been around since the beginning, then kissing probably has, too. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think your readers will be confused. I mean, I had never heard of this Alexander/kissing thing until I read this thread. I think most people will just assume like me that we're hardwired for it.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
girlyswot, thank you! It's sobering how much "common knowledge" (and even uncommon knowledge) originates from poorly sourced or outright unsubstantiated books and articles like this.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Ultragotha, is there another verb you could use besides fizzing? Even just bubbling could save you the trouble! :)

Missed this earlier.

The OED lives in the Dictionary stand next to the desk. So no problem there. Freecycle rocks!

Bubbling doesn't convey what I want it to. Too...bubbly. ;)

I did look up fizzing and, honestly? I'm going to disagree with the OED. (Talk about taking things for granted! The OED is as close to take it for granted as you can get!) They have defined "fizz" in one section as "To make a hissing or sputtering sound." But their examples from the 17th century are "I kiss'd all the wenches as I came along and made their moyst lips fiz again." and, more telling, "Thou oft hast made thy fiery Dart Fizz in the hollow of his heart."

Fizzing as a positive intense internal sensation is exactly what I'm going for so I'm going to keep it, regardless that most of the other citation post date 1825.

If I could figure out how to load this darned custom dictionary to Open Office, checking all those words would be easier. (Hat tip to Mary Robinette Kowal who came up with the idea first.)

As for kissing, it's mentioned in ancient Egyptian manuscripts as well. Heck there are petroglyphs of kissing couples. ETA: They look like they're doing a whole lot more than kissing there!

Last edited:

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Sometimes, it's true, no other word will do. You know better than I, of course! I just know sometimes I review the word that's giving me trouble and every now and then a sort of thesaurus run in my brain jangles something better free. Obviously bubbling is a cheap synonym, but I was thinking maybe there was some other option just generally. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
A fascinating thread. Thanks for starting it :)

I knew a lot of the food anachronisms (potatoes in a Medieval European setting make me facepalm), and had recently learned about some of the clothing related ones. For instance, pants (of various kinds) were typically worn in association with cavalry and/or by people who rode horses a lot. The Romans only (grudgingly) adopted them later on, when cavalry became more important.

And functional side saddles for ladies were a relatively recent invention too (I want to say late 1600s).

Fireplaces are another thing that turn up in a lot of historic novels where they may not be realistic. A friend recently informed me that they didn't have typical built-in wall fireplaces in typical British homes until the late middle ages. The old-style daub-and-wattle huts had central hearths with a hole in the ceiling to let the smoke out. It must have been unpleasantly smokey inside these homes, but probably warmer than a stone fireplace at the side where most heat escaped up the chimney.

Kissing is an interesting thing. It's hard to believe that people didn't come up with it in at least some historic settings and places prior to ancient India. But then, people in some places and times probably had pretty awful breath and lots of missing teeth (though I understand ancient Egyptians were pretty big on dental care and dentists, so maybe they weren't too bad). Bad breath and missing teeth don't make for very nice kisses.

I overheard a student telling some other students in one of my classes that mouth kissing is not something people in his culture do (he was from Afghanistan, I believe), even husbands and wives. It's considered unhygenic. Think about how icky the concept of mashing mouths (and tongues) together might seem to someone who has never heard of the custom.

Baths are something I see conflicting reports on. The conventional wisdom seems to be that in Medieval Europe, people had three baths in their lives: when they were born, when they were christened, and when they died. But I've run across sources that say that's a gross exaggeration, and in fact, people did bathe in at least some times and places in the middle ages, and that some cities had bath houses (where men and women actually bathed together). I've also read that people actually got nastier in the Renaissance, in Britain at least.

I write second world fantasy, so I'm not as confined by real history as writers in historic settings (so darn it, my people can kiss, take baths, and have pockets if they want). But I do try to look at what was present and what people did at various times and places in history and why. It might make sense, actually for people not to have pockets (or for pockets, at least, to be a feature of only expensively tailored clothes) if all garments must be made by hand and pockets were annoyingly complex to sew into things.

One thing that pops up for me sometimes, though, is a word or term that references a real world place or culture that doesn't exist in a made-up world. Damask cloth, for instance, is a reference to Damascus. There is no Damascus in my fantasy world, so the damask upholstery had to go.

Last edited:

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
Roxxsmom, I recall a thread about the sidesaddle (I think at Historical Fiction online) a year or so ago, in which several folks were able to link to sources showing early versions of the sidesaddle dated to at least the 14th century, and it seems to me Marguerite d'Anjou was noted as an early user. I apologize for being too lazy to look this up and link it, but the century at least does stick in my head.

The conventional wisdom about bathing is the usual go-to "fact" about history - oft quoted, but rarely sourced. The highly generalized view these days (there is always far more nuance than articles, particularly online, tend to show) is that bathing was indeed perfectly common - again, until the 1300s: when the Plague hit. Church teaching did indeed explicit turned to discouragement of full-body immersive ablutions, nudity, and co-ed baths - but, again, the full ins and outs are deeper than "don't get naked, it'll kill you" though modern citations often reflect it much that simply. I've blogged about the modern tendency to sneer about The Dirty, Stupid Past many times; it's almost a form of bigotry we feel is "harmless" - it is, however, pointless and stupid. "Barbarians" in particular (the very early "Dark Ages" is my period - and you can as me how I feel about that label any time you're in the mood for a rant, heh) were not dirty, illiterate, and oppressed masses ruining all the extremely wonderful, urbane fun for Rome. :)

One of the problems with the modern perspective on "bathing" is a matter of limited definition. We expect full showers or bodily immersion in a tub; however, people throughout many millennia cleaned themselves in a huge variety of ways involving neither of these methods, and remained quite hygenic. Also an issue is the medium - while to many of us in the modern West cannot conceive of cleanliness without soap and water, human beings have cleansed themselves with steam, oil, sand, and even clay throughout time. Soap didn't always exist, and by the time it did - those who were best at making it? Were the "Barbarians" ...

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The old-style daub-and-wattle huts had central hearths with a hole in the ceiling to let the smoke out.

They may not have even had the smoke hole. Some recent research, at least in Norse homes during the Viking Age, is leaning towards there being no holes in the roof--or at least some of the roofs--that would let out heat and let in rain, but instead the smoke escaped through natural gaps between roof and roof frame.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Roxxsmom, I recall a thread about the sidesaddle (I think at Historical Fiction online) a year or so ago, in which several folks were able to link to sources showing early versions of the sidesaddle dated to at least the 14th century, and it seems to me Marguerite d'Anjou was noted as an early user. I apologize for being too lazy to look this up and link it, but the century at least does stick in my head....

Yes, the sidesaddle narrative is a bit more complicated than it's often presented.
There were important developments in the sidesaddle in the 16th century but they'd been around for a lot longer (If you look in the Ellesmere MS of Chaucer the illustrations have women riding aside as well as astride).
Some people have claimed that until later in the 16th c, there might have been sidesaddles but until the invention of the pommel they were so insecure you couldn't go faster than a walk and you had no way of controlling the horse so you'd have to ride pillion or be led.
I came up against this in my current WIP. I have an important scene where my female MC is riding as part of a convoy and needs to be able to control her own horse for plot reasons so she can express her displeasure at something another rider says to her by dropping back and letting him ride on ahead.
Among the various challenges to the standard narrative I found was a re-enactor who had made a replica early 16th c sidesaddle and not only found it secure enough to gallop (though she didn't try jumping!) but had no problem controlling her horse through voice cues alone, which some historians swore was impossible. Luckily my MC doesn't need to go faster than a walk but I felt there was enough evidence to let her ride without a leading rein and control her horse by voice.
I have so little experience of riding (come to think of it, last time I was on a horse was in 15th century costume on a modern sidesaddle) that I'm never going to feel completely secure about this stuff. I should look more at what Philippa Gregory does because she is a keen equestrian and good on horsey details.

Re the teeth and the kissing, people didn't always have awful teeth - if you didn't eat much sugar your main dental problem was often your teeth being ground down by all that stoneground flour, rather than decay.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Do you know Jenny Uglow's book The Lunar Men? The group of scientists she writes about used to time their meetings by the phases of the moon so they could travel home safely afterwards.

And much, much later than that... When my mother was a little girl in the 1950s, her father was the church organist in a small community in the Swedish countryside. Their choir practices in the winter were aligned with the moon cycle in order for people to get there and home safely.

Here it's the absolute opposite - older houses have very small windows while newer have big ones. It's all to do with central heating and double (and triple) glazed windows. You'd have been MAD to put in big windows in Sweden before central heating and double glazed windows were standard, since it was all about keeping the heat in. Usually, windows were nailed shut or even boarded shut in the autumn and not opened until spring.

I read a diary of an English lady in Stockholm in the 1840s recently and that really fascinated her, as did the complete obsession with preparing for winter by storing food and fire wood. People were basically preparing to live under siege for about 6 months.

So here: old house = tiny windows, while house built in the 21 st century = a darn aquarium. But we always, always have double or triple glazed windows...

Winter is always coming here.

DianeL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dianelmajor.blogspot.com
SpinningWheel, thank you for the clarification on the sidesaddle! Maybe it was here I remember seeing that thread. :)

As to dental care - it wasn't invented with Pepsodent. People have the funniest ideas that the lack of patented peppermint and flouride goop necessarily equaled irretrievable human filth. Sometimes I wonder how these people imagine humanity survived at all, for the millions of years before The Glorious Twentieth Century came along!

Flicka, I actually wondered about that after this conversation first came up! I live in a world in which the thin margins between my climate controlled office, my climate controlled automobile, and my climate controlled home are almost considered uninhabitable by a shocking percentage of people who forget: those margins are the actual world. Of course, I do still indulge climate control of my own. But the climate control of most public spaces so often requires people to wear sweaters in summertime and fans in winter, it's a bit surreal ...

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
And much, much later than that... When my mother was a little girl in the 1950s, her father was the church organist in a small community in the Swedish countryside. Their choir practices in the winter were aligned with the moon cycle in order for people to get there and home safely.

Here it's the absolute opposite - older houses have very small windows while newer have big ones. It's all to do with central heating and double (and triple) glazed windows. You'd have been MAD to put in big windows in Sweden before central heating and double glazed windows were standard, since it was all about keeping the heat in. Usually, windows were nailed shut or even boarded shut in the autumn and not opened until spring.

I read a diary of an English lady in Stockholm in the 1840s recently and that really fascinated her, as did the complete obsession with preparing for winter by storing food and fire wood. People were basically preparing to live under siege for about 6 months.

So here: old house = tiny windows, while house built in the 21 st century = a darn aquarium. But we always, always have double or triple glazed windows...

Winter is always coming here.

Interesting! Yes, the number/size of windows would depend on climate.

Around here, it's a balancing act because it gets abysmally hot in the summer and dangerously cold in the winter (though not as cold as Scandinavia, of course). I was at an old tavern near the Bull Run battleground on a hot day, and with the doors open, the wind whipped through that place and made it very pleasant. I thought of this thread. Then again, with no heat, people would freeze to death in winter.

It's important to remember, also, that many houses had no glazing at all. The weather was kept out my oiled paper or shutters.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Though to be fair, Spanish, Greek and Italian houses quite often have small windows no matter when they were built (and they still usually don't have AC). I think the idea is rather to keep the hot air and sun out, so they also tend to have thick stone walls. Kind of like in some cultures in hot weather people wear little clothes, while others (like the bedouins) wear lots to keep the blazing sun at bay.

bewarethejabb

Monkey With A Typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribophile.com
I'm writing in the 18th century, and it wasn't until I watched Barry Lyndon that I twigged just how candlelight looked. It's not just a dimness, but it's how it lights you, the things you see and the things that are shadowed. Greenaway's Draughtsman's Contract has this as well, as to a certain extent does the solidly produced Nicolas Le Floch series on French tv.

But for me, the wackiest thing thus far has been the vision of people answering calls of nature in the hallways and stairwells of Versailles. In Paris, meanwhile, there were a few enterprising fellows with buckets and screens, and for a decent sum they would shield you from view while you went.

There were also fellows who would carry you on their backs across puddles when the streets flooded . . .

History is addictive.

Frustrating as a writer, however, has been the inability to use modern psychological terms to help explain my characters' motivations. They can't really think of themselves as, say, having claustrophobia, or a subconscious. It's been more restrictive than I thought it would.

Yeah, this sums up a lot of mine.

What's kind of humourous to me is that my historical fiction is twice-fictionalized, if you will; it's based on a style of judgement call developed in many, many years performing at Renaissance Festivals.

The majority (not all) of Faire performers know a LOT more actual history than they incorporate. A select few (which I am not among) are virtual fonts of historical knowledge. All, however, have a "theatrical necessity" filter in place. There are some things you anachronise for the sake of being understood by a modern audience.

My favourite example is of the actor who plays the Earl of Leicester. He's a Shakesperean virtuoso and a historical costuming grandmaster. If you can count on one totally anal guy to freak out on you for not wearing your sleeves because it's just too bloody hot, that's him. At some point, however, all the Tudor-era fluff started to show men, specifically Leicester, with the collar of their doublets open, to indicate they were "sexy." He practically had a conniption fit the first time someone did this - I think it may have been in that late 90s version of "Elizabeth." Gorgeous costumes otherwise, then sudden WTFery with the neck of the doublet.

Last summer? I saw him wearing the collar of his doublet on his otherwise PERFECT costume open, because the audience needs to be able to identify him as Bess' boytoy.

beautifulcostumes.jpg

Why are the collars of these beautiful, beautiful costumes being worn so shamefully, anachronistically open? Because Leicester and Essex are supposed to be Sexxy Sexxy Men.

I tend to auto-filter my history like that. The moment I feel something has to be over-ruled for the sake of audience comprehension, it goes right out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.