It's a vicious pen...

Viciouspen

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there peoples.
Well, I'm Viciouspen, obviously not my "real" name. It's a nickname i was given in college and it's just kind of stuck since then. I did not get it for stabbing someone in the hand with a pen as is often guessed.

I'm here trying this out as an effort to make myself not be isolated anymore. I have been on a hiatus from writing that started off purposeful but ended up being longer than I intended. "Pine oil writer's conference" and my nickname would pester me to work at getting back to the old me. An ex of mine sealed the deal by insisting I write after comparing my work to her roommate's who had just gotten a three book deal and thinking if she could get published it was a mistake for me to not be trying as she considered mine better.

I figured it would be a good idea to try and get connected this time.

I know that currently the biggest hold up I have in my writing is that I feel as if I'm lost in the department of how to go about things, what to do with it, what your legitimate publishing avenues are and how to weigh your options. Back in the day I used to be well read on this, but it seems like things have changed so, maybe I need to try and learn how things have changed, reeducate myself, relearn how to go about getting published and what legitimate options there are now. I would say that's the other main thing that brought me here. I know that now what's at the root of me turning away and not working on a story is that nagging lack of feeling as I don't know what I should be doing with it to publish it.

If anybody has any suggestions for other helpful websites and such, or any information to look at it would be nice to check them out.

Take care, look forward to hearing from people;
Vis

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Take a wander around the various forums, there's lots to see and lots to learn, and even some fun threads too. Come along and pop on over to the Traditional Irish Pub (at the top of the Newbie forum) and say hi, there's plenty of friendly faces that you can chat with and lots of banter. There's also the Question of the Day threads at the top of the Newbie forum where you can answer random questions.

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, and if you want to know what all the buttons mean check out this thread.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. You never said why you're called Vicious Pen. You didn't stab someone in the hand, so maybe you stabbed them in the eye. That's much more vicious.

Viciouspen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes. I appreciate it *salute*.

I have to admit that my wanderings trying to find website communities for writers had left me fairly sad up until just recently. Someone on writer's Digest suggested AW to me and I'm glad they did, between the two they're the better experiences I'm finding.

I look forward to getting red ink all over the place.

Welcome. You never said why you're called Vicious Pen. You didn't stab someone in the hand, so maybe you stabbed them in the eye. That's much more vicious.

Ah lol yeah that's a story.

In college creative writing I was known for being rather passionate and relentless in my writing. I was the first person to sweep the writing contests for the college and one of my stories created a bit of a kafuffle between the ruling english department. I always advocated pushing yourself when you wrote, attacking it, not being shy. Challenged people to try doing what was shied away from.
Students started asking me to critique their work and tell them if they had potential and what was good or bad about their story. I was popular for how, honest, but boldly blunt I was. Think Simon Cowel for reading short stories,except I wasn't an ass.
People took note of how I would only edit pieces using blood red ink, so when a piece came back from me it looked like I slashed it bloody.

The sealer of the deal was when one of the creative writing professors started quoting me in his classes for a saying of mine "It's a vicious pen because it will only take your blood for ink". The saying was about what it took to write something good, something true.

That cinched it. People started calling me "the most vicious of pens", and it has stuck since then.

thanks for the interest :)

P.s. oh and when people shorten it I prefer they go with Vis or Pen. I hate being called Vic :p. That's why I often sign posts with "Vis" so that people pick up on the idea.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Viciouspen

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to two more people :) *salutes*

So...Reddog...what you're saying is I should.....rollout...and check out those things you listed because there is.....more than meets the eye for me to find?

:p
Yeah I couldn't help myself. I love being obvious and corny.

MJones

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning and hello! I would personally go with the stabbing story. It's dramatic.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Good story, Vis. I've known some people with vicious pens like that. You know, those people who practically write a novel in red ink on your story. I'm usually fine with it, as long as it doesn't get nasty and sarcastic.

Also, it's nice to see another Missourian on here.

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
It's a vicious pen...

My instant mind response to this was "Well, go get a purple pen. They're nice" but then I realized you were probably a dude and wouldn't appreciate being told to use a purple pen. OK then. Oh, and my nickname in college was Trixie. Don't ask. There was a song that went with it, made up by me and my *then* gang of gaggles. Again, don't ask.

Anyhoo, welcome to the farm.

Viciouspen

Registered
Reaction score
And even more thanks for even more peoples.

AW has definitely been an encouraging find.....
so far...I'm still keeping a few sharpened stakes incase people turn into sparkly vampires and try to drain me of my will to read popular fiction, oh and blood, that too.

I injured my right shoulder yesterday and am on muscle relaxers at the moment while being on the AW forums so....well you guys should get some entertainment. That's the first rule after all, entertain!

Again, thanks you guys have been great.

Good morning and hello! I would personally go with the stabbing story. It's dramatic.

That's true it is more dramatic but it's not the truth so it'd defeat the purpose of how I got it. For fun I'll sometimes say "no, I didn't stab someone with a pen to get my nickname....it was a pencil". A berol black warrior to be precise.

Good story, Vis. I've known some people with vicious pens like that. You know, those people who practically write a novel in red ink on your story. I'm usually fine with it, as long as it doesn't get nasty and sarcastic.

Also, it's nice to see another Missourian on here.

I'm not excessive, people were just looking for plenty of opinion. My own can get plenty of their own slashes, especially when it comes to grammatical errors.
And yeah I noticed that too :) Good to see you. My favorite creative writing professor is a local writer who uses the area as the stage for all his writing. I actually live in the place where Winter's Bone is based.

Welcome, ViciousPen - love the story of how you got your nom de plume!

Thanks a lot. It's not just a snazzy piece of colorful characterization. It keeps me rooted and brings me back. I got the name because people respected me and believed in my writing. When things get rough one of things I do is remember that.

My instant mind response to this was "Well, go get a purple pen. They're nice" but then I realized you were probably a dude and wouldn't appreciate being told to use a purple pen. OK then. Oh, and my nickname in college was Trixie. Don't ask. There was a song that went with it, made up by me and my *then* gang of gaggles. Again, don't ask.

Anyhoo, welcome to the farm.

Hey I like purple. It's the color of royalty. It wouldn't have the same effect though. :p