This is the radio show that never ends. . .

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
It just goes on and on my friends
Some dj just started spinning
Not knowing what the audience wants
But that dj will continue spinning because. . .

This thread is for aesthetically challenged music. Whether it is cheese, schlock, schlager, minstrel show tunes, musicasters or outright corn, this thread will go on and on. Keep the tunes sequential and consequential, whether it be for inappropriateness' sake, or for humourous commentary. Don't just list tunes without putting a little thought behind it.

For starters, let's start with some quintessential cheese, a tune from 1960 for a Canadian steel town's radio channel.

Wonderful Hamilton by OC Guys and Gals

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone is wondering what schlager is, let us have the patience for a little lesson. Schlager is the root word of schlock, but the two words have parted ways somewhat. Schlager is terrible music but with a particular German nuance that can be found in music around the world. As German artists define it, it is music that with unabashed and honest fashion lifts content from music from the propaganda of a previous, detested regime. With Germany, we can leave it to everyone's imagine as it would be. . . would be. . . well, it's rude to mention the War.

Anyways, the penultimate example is none other than the guy who puts out monstrosities of album covers overtop of his monstrosities of music. Yes folks, it's Heino!

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Black German disco divas teach a crazy history lesson : Rasputin by Boney M.

Insanely catchy. Contains the phrase: "Rah, rah, Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine." Yes, I know every word. Why do you ask?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Black German disco divas teach a crazy history lesson : Rasputin by Boney M.

Insanely catchy. Contains the phrase: "Rah, rah, Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine." Yes, I know every word. Why do you ask?

I love Bill Nye-ing that song.

Rah-rah Aspartame
Lover of the sugar dame
Who lifted diabetes
Off this Euetes

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Denmark's contribution to the music world has been sparse and quite frankly sad. Or, more likely, it has been thoroughly cast to the purgatories of disco floors for bringing us Tommy Seebach. Ultimately, he really has made one song of consequence and of all things, it's a cover that has a music video that mixes minstrel show and just. . . weird.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Len is generally considered a one-hit wonder but I hope you can see why. The only thing redeeming about the music video is that it has a young Hide from The 70s Show appears for one second at roughly the 1 minute and 50 second mark. Well, that is if you can make it to that point. So I guess I have sent you a challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ1Y5QSmmAc

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to leave you this œuvre. How do I put this? It's a,. . . It's a brilliant italo-disco tune that has what might be called analogous to either Kate Bush belting out about her profound libido or a maybe a weird mating call that suffers from the utter lack of personal boundaries in social spaces. I think there is a Rolando or some dweeb singing along too.

Actually, I like this tune but I can see why DJs nowadays do not spin this in their decked-out 80s italo-disco sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSN9-Cvv_Mo

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
This trainwreck is worth a listen. A beat poet doing rap and scat and not being too particular versed in either. Also suffering from the same problems that many poets have and not knowing what to do with once they get one: having an audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaGm0OvxTss

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ever hear a singer or a song that you don't really like, but you find you can't totally forget?

That's how I feel about Diamanda Galas.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Dutch pop is awesome for awfulness. The 70s even has a period where all the pop groups from Holland have a disco beat, three lady singers, and a conspicuously choreographed lack of dancing with the feet so they dance with their hands. Luv, Arabesque, A La Carte, Babe. . . I'll post the. . . er tunes when I get home.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
This has got to be the worst Dutch pop song ever—not only is it horrible, but once you've heard it it stays in your head all day. (This came out in 1972, while I was in high school. To say that it baffled us is putting it mildly.)

Mouth & MacNeal—How Do You Do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QXyqk9flwk

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score