• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

How fast will a spaceship cool off

mizor

Registered
Reaction score
It's a scifi cliche that once a spaceship looses power it immediately starts to cool off. However it's always an 'OMG we're all going to die in a few hours' sort of thing. My question is realistically how long would it take to get to those sort of temps. I checked my son's physics book and the only equations I could find were for an object in contact with another object of a different temperature. In which case the heat loss would be by conductivity, not radiation as it would be in deep space. I'm pretty sure the variables would include the amount of solar radiation the space ship is getting, the surface area of the craft, the thermal conductivity of the craft's hull, and the temperature of the space craft. I'm just not sure how they all go together. Can someone here help me out with the equation?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If your spaceship loses power, your main problem isn't cold, it's breathable air.

If you really want to figure out the temp inside it'd depend a lot on stuff you invent, like the kind of ship, what it's made of, where it is and when, what's on it, the people on it (we do give off heat), etc., etc. As my physics teacher said, there is no such thing as cold, there is only the absence of heat. That really isn't likely to be a primary issue though; it'd be behind several things I can think of.

mizor

Registered
Reaction score
Uh my question wasn't about breathable air. If it was I would have asked about it. I'm asking about cooling rates. In particular I'm asking about heat loss, or gain when the only mechanism for the loss or gain is radiation. Can someone here direct me to a source for the information I'm seeking.

AlixLydon

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I found an answer through google in about 12 seconds (6th result on the page for my search terms) but it takes into account several things that cornflake mentioned and you were entirely ungracious about that response and a wee bit demanding about someone providing the information for you, so I guess I say go look it up for yourself :D

The short version is that if your ship loses power, your main problem isn't cold, it's breathable air.

mizor

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I was ungracious, but to be blunt cornflakes answer was insulting and I tend to react poorly to that sort of thing. Did it ever occur to either one of you that when I ask about cooling rates and someone tells me I need to worry about breathable air they are
A: telling me that I'm not bright enough to ask the proper question or
B: they know what I'm going to write about better than I do.

I didn't ask about breathable air because it is totally irrelevant to the scenario I had in mind.

I'll try the Google search again This time with different search parameters

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Cooling rates depend on a number of factors, the trickiest ones are the shape of the ship and the composition and thickness of the hull. Essentially, the outermost layer of the ship is in contact with a very low temperature (3 degress Kelvin) but very low density environment (space). So this layer will radiate into space, but how much of the ship's heat it will radiate away depends.

For example, if your spaceship is built like a thermos (with a layer of vacuum between hull layers), it can keep heat in a lot longer than if it has a paper thin hull in contact with the internal atmosphere.

This means that the speed at which your ship cools off depends on how its engineered and for what purposes.

AlixLydon

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps I was ungracious, but to be blunt cornflakes answer was insulting and I tend to react poorly to that sort of thing. Did it ever occur to either one of you that when I ask about cooling rates and someone tells me I need to worry about breathable air they are

I didn't ask about breathable air because it is totally irrelevant to the scenario I had in mind.

I'll try the Google search again This time with different search parameters

There was an answer there that you chose to ignore. Equations (like the rate of heat transfer dQ/dt = k deltaT) are useless without a solid knowledge of the ship's design, proximity to a sun, and a host of other factors. You're asking for a straight answer to a complex problem that has no short answer. You need to define several parameters (square surface of the ship, insulating materials and properties, heat transfer coefficient between your ships hull material and a vacuum, etc).

Between hull design and proximity to nearby stars, there's every chance your ship's occupants will fry like eggs if their cooling unit loses power while drifting too close to a star. Drop that same ship at the furthest edges of the universe and maybe they'll be popsicles in minutes.

An interesting tidbit on why space shuttle payload doors stay open:
[FONT=Arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]The forward 30-foot sections of both doors incorporate radiators that can be deployed; they are hinged and latched to the door inner surface in order to reject the excess heat of the Freon-21 coolant loops from both sides of the radiator panels when the doors are open. (source) [/SIZE][/FONT]
If heating a shuttle was that important, they'd be routing that heat into the shuttle instead of trying to disperse it.

People are going to interpret your questions in their own ways, and sometimes they're not always 100% helpful or on topic. Don't confuse your misinterpretation of someone's attempts to help with your own insecurities.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

YES you were being "ungracious". Cornflake was trying to be helpful; if his answer wasn't as relevant as you wanted it to be, that doesn't mean he was insulting you. I find your two suppositions about what his answer meant enough of an extremist interpretation to border on what I'd categorize as "silly", except not funny.

If you do think someone is *purposefully *insulting you, use the "report post" button on the bottom of the post to let a mod handle it. Otherwise, the single biggest rule on AW is "Respect Your Fellow Writer", and I expect to see you taking that rule more to heart from now on.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
*cough* *puts Mod hat on*

Mizor, (and you toAlixLydon given your most recent reply), please refer to the Newbie Guide for the cardinal rule of AW:

Respect your fellow writer.

Part of this is assuming good intentions. There was nothing inherently wrong with cornflake's reply, though it didn't meet the expectations of the question.

There were many better ways to reply to that than getting snippy or assuming that cornflake was staying you were stupid. You could have thanked him for pointing that out and then stated you'd still be interested in the answer to your question.

Also, folks, if you have an issue with a post, click the red triangle and report it to a moderator rather than starting to swing at one another.

Thanks, folks.

ETA: Crossed with Zanzjan. Knew I should have previewed...I'm going to leave this up anyway!

mizor

Registered
Reaction score
OK. I yield to the wisdom of the moderator and apologize for my short fuze

susysquark

Registered
Reaction score
Physics BS and material science engineer here -

Heat loss in space by a spaceship will be ONLY through radiation. Conduction and convection are essentially nonexistent in the vacuum of space. Whoever made that post about a thermos - space IS a giant thermos, you don't have to build one into your ship. Radiative loss will come from blackbody emission. Assuming a emissivity of .1 - .2 (typical for metals like aluminum/steel), the ship will lose heat at a rate of 52.37 W/m^2.

The ratio of the ship's volume to surface area will tell you more about how fast it cools down. As others have noted, cooling off is a much smaller problem compared to air.

Also worth noting is how fast you are going compared to the inertial frame in which the microwave background is isotropic. The faster you travel in space, the more blue-shifted the CMB ahead of you becomes. If you are travelling at a significant fraction of the speed of light, the CMB will be hot enough to heat your ship. At near-lightspeed, the CMB will be deadly x- and gamma-rays.

Of course, this is all handwaved away typically, so don't sweat the science too much. There's always a bit of suspension of disbelief necessary for spec-fic.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=radiative+heat+transfer&a=*FS-_**StefanBoltzmannLaw.Phi-.*StefanBoltzmannLaw.eps-.*StefanBoltzmannLaw.T--&f2=.1&f=StefanBoltzmannLaw.eps_.1&f3=310+K&f=StefanBoltzmannLaw.T%5Cu005f310+K

the wrong idea

but it feels so right
Registered
Reaction score
Assuming a emissivity of .1 - .2 (typical for metals like aluminum/steel), the ship will lose heat at a rate of 52.37 W/m^2.

The ratio of the ship's volume to surface area will tell you more about how fast it cools down. As others have noted, cooling off is a much smaller problem compared to air.

Not to mention the ship will produce heat at a rate of something like 100W per human occupant, and that's assuming they're mostly sitting around doing nothing strenuous.

Depending on the ship's size, design, and population density, it's entirely possible that it won't cool at all so long as the air, food, and water last.

This is still ignoring how much heat might be stored inside the ship to begin with, as well. It's not like the lost heat will only come from the atmosphere and occupants. And there's also the old-school option of just setting things on fire to generate heat--since oxygen is apparently plentiful, if they're losing heat overall they'd be silly not to do that eventually, once the temperature drops noticeably.

Heat loss in space is so slow that it doesn't take much to offset it.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Oh, oh! On a slightly related question - how does heat loss in space compare to heat loss in a submarine completely underwater?

The subs I'm moderately familiar with have double hulls and some kind of insulation or material in between, but the environments are radically different. I've heard proposals that future starships might utilize submarine-like technologies in their construction and environments and, since it would be fairly easy to calculate the surface area of a modern submarine due to its shape, I'm kinda' wondering if that idea is such a good idea after all and thinking that getting rid of heat would definitely be problem.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Having pulled ice from the inside of the hull on a submarine "greater than 450 feet" under the surface of the North Atlantic in January, I'd presume it's quite different.

There's a convection component underwater that doesn't exist in space (which is all radiative, as previously mentioned).

It sure is morbidly fun to put a thermometer against the hull and see it read 29 degrees, Fahrenheit.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Physics BS and material science engineer here -
Maybe you better spell that out: Bachelor of Science. :D
Heat loss in space by a spaceship will be ONLY through radiation. Conduction and convection are essentially nonexistent in the vacuum of space. Whoever made that post about a thermos - space IS a giant thermos, you don't have to build one into your ship. Radiative loss will come from blackbody emission. Assuming a emissivity of .1 - .2 (typical for metals like aluminum/steel), the ship will lose heat at a rate of 52.37 W/m^2.

I recall Apollo 13, the air going bad and the temperature dropping were both problems. They were about four days from returning to Earth, which gives a rough idea of the speed the temperature dropped.

Also worth noting is how fast you are going compared to the inertial frame in which the microwave background is isotropic. The faster you travel in space, the more blue-shifted the CMB ahead of you becomes. If you are travelling at a significant fraction of the speed of light, the CMB will be hot enough to heat your ship. At near-lightspeed, the CMB will be deadly x- and gamma-rays. [/quote]
If you're going a significant fraction of the speed of light, you probably have a propulsion system that keeps you warm... Also, a common solution to radiation (and running into the occasional subatomic particle or hydrogen atom) is an ice shield ahead of the ship. Particles hit the ice which captures the particle and the energy makes the ice evaporate, rather than the particle hitting the metal hull and causing problems.

Of course, this is all handwaved away typically, so don't sweat the science too much. There's always a bit of suspension of disbelief necessary for spec-fic.
It depends on your target audience. I'm reading recent Analog magazines, and I'm reminded how good SF is with the least amount of handwaving possible.
Oh, oh! On a slightly related question - how does heat loss in space compare to heat loss in a submarine completely underwater?

The subs I'm moderately familiar with have double hulls and some kind of insulation or material in between, but the environments are radically different. I've heard proposals that future starships might utilize submarine-like technologies in their construction and environments and, since it would be fairly easy to calculate the surface area of a modern submarine due to its shape, I'm kinda' wondering if that idea is such a good idea after all and thinking that getting rid of heat would definitely be problem.
The outer hull of a submarine is basically at whatever temperature the water is. The conduction (water is pressing against every point on the hull) and convection (as the hull heats water, the water rises and more cool water shows up to replace it) pretty much insures this. A submarine needs a double hull to have any hope of having the inside temperature be anything other than the water temperature.

I'm thinking a double-hulled spaceship would be done mainly for shielding against radiation, needed for longer missions outside of the Van Allen belts, such as to Mars.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
The outer hull of a submarine is basically at whatever temperature the water is. The conduction (water is pressing against every point on the hull) and convection (as the hull heats water, the water rises and more cool water shows up to replace it) pretty much insures this. A submarine needs a double hull to have any hope of having the inside temperature be anything other than the water temperature.
Along with the more fundamental need of having a way to become bouyant/non-bouyant.

:)

susysquark

Registered
Reaction score
If you're going a significant fraction of the speed of light, you probably have a propulsion system that keeps you warm... Also, a common solution to radiation (and running into the occasional subatomic particle or hydrogen atom) is an ice shield ahead of the ship. Particles hit the ice which captures the particle and the energy makes the ice evaporate, rather than the particle hitting the metal hull and causing problems.

I'm not talking about particles hitting the ship, but light - the light that pervades the entire universe. Normally its quite cool, in the microwave range, hence Cosmic Microwave Background. Once you get going though, it becomes anisotropic and red/blueshifted along the direction of travel.

Basically the edge of the universe is always throwing very low energy photons at you. Go fast enough, and those photons start to hit harder, like driving in a downpour, which can heat up your ship when they get absorbed. If you get up to speed but then lose power, you will continue forward at that speed, and the CMB will continue to heat your ship up. If you're going fast enough, the blackbody temperature of the CMB can be blueshifted above the temperature of your ship, which means that the net effect will be a rise in temperature.

Go too fast and the CMB becomes x-rays and gamma rays, and everyone gets cancer. An ice shield would hardly help at that speed.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also wondering where this area of space is with no interstellar particles, and how long it would take to get there at a nonrelativistic speed.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I was ungracious, but to be blunt cornflakes answer was insulting

No, it wasn't. It was a completely sensible response to the question posed.

I tend to react poorly to that sort of thing.

Which is your problem. This is a discussion site, and you're not dealing with idiots here.

Then you should have been more specific about the scenario you had in mind.

You're new. The line under your username says: Learning about thick skin.

Consider this a learning experience. And if you think cornflake's comment was offensive, hang around for a while and you might learn about really contentious discussions.

caw

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
You're new. The line under your username says: Learning about thick skin.

Consider this a learning experience. And if you think cornflake's comment was offensive, hang around for a while and you might learn about really contentious discussions.

blacbird, the people with the words "Moderator" under their names have already weighed in on those weeks-old comments, and the matter was resolved satisfactorily. Your commentary above, in that context, treads well over the line into capricious and unjustified abuse. Please don't.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
And how, exactly, did anybody other than you know that? Look, I know you don't like me, but singling my comment out, in that context, and publicly here, "treads well over the line into capricious and unjustified abuse."

CAW

I don't know, blabird.

Perhaps they read this post by Zanzjan, (who is one of the two mods of this forum). Or maybe they read this post by me (I'm the other mod for the forum).

They're both public comments (post 9 and 10) in this very thread. It's not like they're hiding, unless you have us both on ignore.