• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] GemmaMedia, LLC

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Looks like they offer services through their PreMedia offshoot. And I've looked for YA genre fiction but can't find it. It might be contemporary only--true life coming of age type stuff. Their short fiction is very high 80 to 100 pages costing $12 or so. Gadget girl appears on Amazon with some not-so-stellar ranking. The artwork seems to be all over the place with different tones and moods. Gemma Whelan is one of the authors.

tri

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for responding, C. I just thought it was impressive to be in my local library. I know for a fact it's hard to do that. I tried it for my Eternal books and I couldn't make it happen. Then again, I think it was because of the publisher.

Not sure if PP or Leap will be able to do that for me.

I kinda thought the Gemma covers were cool. "Gadget Girl" has pretty nice artwork to it.

But their submission guidelines are sparce.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Tri beat me to it--the consulting services raises a red flag for me. A little more concrete description of the genres they accept would be helpful; their "About" page discusses "quiet lives" and "hidden communities" and journalism--so non-fiction? Fiction involving a "hidden community"? YA? What?

Not to get all nit-picky, but this sentence:
GemmaMedia occasionally accepts unsolicited projects related to our publishing program for publication.
stood out and not in a particularly good way. I'd hope that their publishing program had something to do with publication. And "occasionally accepts unsolicited projects"? Are most of their books done on a "for hire" basis or do they just mean they have sporadic open submission windows? *mildly confused*

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Tri beat me to it--the consulting services raises a red flag for me. A little more concrete description of the genres they accept would be helpful; their "About" page discusses "quiet lives" and "hidden communities" and journalism--so non-fiction? Fiction involving a "hidden community"? YA? What?

stood out and not in a particularly good way. I'd hope that their publishing program had something to do with publication. And "occasionally accepts unsolicited projects"? Are most of their books done on a "for hire" basis or do they just mean they have sporadic open submission windows? *mildly confused*

Yeah, it does sound confusing.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Ya, my head's in kind of a whirl with exactly what they are publishing. Lot's of non-fic, for sure. But what else besides the true-life or contemporary? Truth be told, if I were them I would have created a different website or link for their (must be paid for) services.

Now, the only way I've gotten a book into a library was to donate it, and it was a hardcover at that. That was a local library too. However, it's quite possible that they've made sales to libraries, or Library Journal took note of them and solicited copies. If they've sold to the majority of libraries out there, that would be a major, positive feat. And I could see that as their books are primarily non-fiction--instructive, historical and informative types.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
I have no idea why, but I subbed the YA contemporary novella I swore I was giving up on just now.

IDK, maybe there's a reason the universe compelled me.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well I nudged Gemma today from a submission that I sent about 2 months ago and got a response right away. It was a professional and very polite rejection. She said my submission must have fell through the cracks since it landed in their spam box and it was the first time she was looking at it. She said some thoughtful things of my ms. and said exactly why she rejected it, their company being they are a small niche company and what I had doesn't fit their publishing program.

Over all just really nice. Like I said before, I found a book of theirs in the library and that's no small thing when it comes to me. I think if anyone was interested in sending, but wasn't quite sure about it, I think it would be a good idea to ask those questions by contacting them directly. They are definitely a place worth looking into.

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Bad copywriting. Some specifics:
GemmaMedia brings you a host of new stories and new insights on culture. Gemma crosses the divide between readers and writers—
They'd be a very odd publishing company if they didn't.
well-loved authors encouraging new readers; writers revealing quiet lives and hidden communities; journalists who open distant worlds for us at home.
To me, what that says is "books we bought for small advances."

A "well-loved author encouraging new readers" is an author writing outside their area of commercial success. Works that "[reveal] quiet lives and hidden communities" are, unless they're stunningly well-written and have great quotes, the definition of "little books": difficult to market, unlikely to break even, hardly the focus of hot bidding. And "Journalists who open distant worlds for us at home" is just another way to say "little books," unless what it's saying is "little books by journalists who've lost their regular gigs," of whom there are a great many right now.
From Ireland to Iowa, Jamestown to Japan, Baghdad to Ballyvaughan, Gemma books and new media capture the world’s color.
That's an ornate but content-free sentence. The writer doesn't have enough to say, or enough experience at saying it. Good commercial book copy is hard to write.
GemmaMedia occasionally accepts unsolicited projects related to our publishing program for publication.
stood out, and not in a particularly good way. I'd hope that their publishing program had something to do with publication. And "occasionally accepts unsolicited projects"? Are most of their books done on a "for hire" basis or do they just mean they have sporadic open submission windows? *mildly confused*
I can think of several things it might mean, ranging from submissions policies to their willingness to work with packagers, but none of my theoretical possibilities are a better match for that sentence than any other. Whatever else that is, it's bad copywriting.

Last edited:

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Ingram Publishing Services means they just do warehousing and ordering for Gemma, right? Not that they have an actual distributor with a sales force?