• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

No windows on Future starship/spacecraft???

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
BTW, that transparent aluminum - it's not as far-fetched as you might think. However, it is hideously expensive and difficult to obtain in the quantities needed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

Do a search. There's more than one source for ALON. There's also another version (the one I was thinking of originally) that is functionally an artificial gemstone as I recall.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Reading about aluminium oxynitride and then transparent ceramics, I'm seeing the possibility of going entirely the opposite direction. You could build large parts of the ship out of a far-future version of the transparent ceramic armour that's supposedly in development. Then we'd have the possibility of something that could be more like a spaceborne city building.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I need to address the vast darkness idea. It's not true. There's starlight everywhere. Any point in space would see a huge number of distant stars. Whether the ship designers consider this imporrant is a different matter.

There's starlight, but it's passing through lightyears of empty void. Not very bright (remember, the 'twinkling' of stars comes from Earth's atmosphere. No atmosphere, you just get steady pinpicks of light...if that. I'm thinking of moon landing pictures, where the stars never struck me as particularly impressive).

Some of my spaceships have viewscreens that show, among other things, magnified, colored-in images of the starfields and nebulas around them. Like the fancy Hubble telescope images that wind up on screensavers everywhere--now they're screensavers, in spaaace.

Although I also have a space cruise ship with an exercise field on top that's completely transparent to the void. Just to remind people they're on a space ship, which they paid good money for.

[Space office building--my inner agoraphobe screams at just the thought. Why would you?]

Kaidonni

Registered
Reaction score
There's starlight, but it's passing through lightyears of empty void. Not very bright (remember, the 'twinkling' of stars comes from Earth's atmosphere. No atmosphere, you just get steady pinpicks of light...if that. I'm thinking of moon landing pictures, where the stars never struck me as particularly impressive).

Forget about the moon landing videos and photos - nowhere near enough exposure time to show all of the stars, and with the sun high in the 'sky' during those shot during the moon's daytime, the glare will be too bright for you to see many stars anyway. When you look at all of these Hubble photos or amateur astrophotography photos, the instruments have been pointed at whatever it is they're showing for some time, they didn't just take a picture. Exposures are the key to all of those amazing photos, and the moon landing videos and photos are not exposures (even the Human eye does a better job).

So, in space you may not get twinkling, but it'd still be damn impressive when not caught in the glare of the sun or another star.

Last edited:

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Forget about the moon landing videos and photos - nowhere near enough exposure time to show all of the stars, and with the sun high in the 'sky' during those shot during the moon's daytime, the glare will be too bright for you to see many stars anyway. When you look at all of these Hubble photos or amateur astrophotography photos, the instruments have been pointed at whatever it is they're showing for some time, they didn't just take a picture. Exposures are the key to all of those amazing photos, and the moon landing videos and photos are not exposures (even the Human eye does a better job).

So, in space you may not get twinkling, but it'd still be damn impressive when not caught in the glare of the sun or another star.

Okay, but that raises another question: how much steady exposure can you get when you're in a pressurized tube travelling near the speed of light (to say nothing of exceeding the speed of light), as many fictional spaceships are?

Kaidonni

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, but that raises another question: how much steady exposure can you get when you're in a pressurized tube travelling near the speed of light (to say nothing of exceeding the speed of light), as many fictional spaceships are?

No idea what it'd look like to the naked eye or any instruments set up to take exposures while the ship is travelling near the speed of light. When the ship is travelling relatively slowly, along a constant path and not turning, you might be able to get a decent photographic/video exposure excepting the effects of pointing your instrument through whatever it is that your windows are made of. On the Earth, motorised mounts are best for astrophotography because none of the objects are in a static position, they are moving constantly across the night sky; you might get away without any motorised mounts on your ship, but it'd be better if your instrument was on the outside to avoid the effects of light refracting through the windows, such as ghosting.

Dave of Mars

a subterranean Martian caveman.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cydoniansignal.com
There probably wouldn't be any windows due to the necessity of radiation shielding. Given that light is a form of radiation, it would be far more difficult to develop a substance that would be strong enough to withstand impacts from micro-meteoroids and cheap enough to justify its cost while also letting in the visual spectrum of light and filtering out harmful cosmic radiation.

It would probably be easier to simply have camera ports on the outside and give each passenger a display to view them. They could even flip to different cameras, that way no one is missing the view from being on the wrong side of the craft. That seems more practical.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I think it depends how fast your ship is going as to whether there is anything to see outside or not. Anything close to light speed and everything redshifts anyway, doesn't it?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I think it depends how fast your ship is going as to whether there is anything to see outside or not.

What about above lightspeed? in my Epic, someone describes the view of hyperspace as an "amorphous murk" but she still stares out the ports, in preference to staring at the bulkheads, while there's nothing better to do.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I did submarines for 5 years in the US Navy. So I can say with certainty that windows aren't a necessity as far as operations goes. Nor screen doors. :tongue

But, there's another consideration. Ergonomics. After an extended time in an enclosed space, everything starts to feel a bit cramped. I don't know the science the behind it. But we (on the submarine) all agreed that by about 30 or 40 days in, every space felt even smaller.

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
What about above lightspeed? in my Epic, someone describes the view of hyperspace as an "amorphous murk" but she still stares out the ports, in preference to staring at the bulkheads, while there's nothing better to do.

There is no speed above the speed of light (as far as we know). Consequently you can say hyperspace, or whatever you choose to call it looks like whatever you want it to look like.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Hmm. What's the best fracture resistance achieved with silicon dioxide?

[If you've never seen tempered silicon dioxide decide to come completely apart, that's an experience not to be missed. Never has so little material made so many shards!]

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Well, mine apparently looks like an 'amorphous murk'. What does yours look like?

You've passed the object by before light can reflect to you, so I'd say any travel above c would be pitch black.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Not all light is from reflected objects -- what about the light you "hit" ?? [Strange notion: at such speeds, light behaves as a solid; bad things happen if you run into enough of it. Discuss.]

Since in my universe we don't run into things in hyperspace, apparently it's not contiguous with realspace anyway, so the concept of light may be meaningless.