The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Little Things Publishing, LLC

banned as an incurable tosspot

The Little Things Publishing, LLC

Anyone know anything about The Little Things Publishing Company beyond the information at their web site?

Thank you,

Gordo

Proud Literary Sadist justbishop's Avatar
    You might have a better chance of attracting someone who recognizes the name if you titled the thread with it.
    WIP#1: 52,313/50,000

The Last Three Words: Evernight Teen | Amazon

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. Torgo's Avatar
    Doesn't look great.

(1) Targeted at authors instead of readers.

(2) Started by an "obsessed and avid reader/writer" - not, apparently, someone with publishing experience - and no info about staff anywhere that I can see.

(3) Really vague and worrying stuff like "(y)our work will be available in all major books stores and online websites" and "TLT Publishing will work hard to publicize your book through various marketing strategies."

(4) Poorly proofed web copy.

Some of the covers don't look so bad, but I agree. It's vague. Even the FAQ section is vague. I would be asking more questions like are there advances and if so what is the pay scale? What are the royalties? It doesn't mention that which makes me leary if they're a vanity pub or not.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Based on the information on their website I see nothing whatever to recommend this publisher.

The website has not been updated since early 2012.

Nor do I see anything published by them this calendar year.

The Paulest of all Coscas paulcosca's Avatar
    Just FYI, there's a second website specifically to sell books:

http://bookstore.thelittlethingspublishing.com/
    http://www.paulcosca.com Where you can find more info about me!

http://www.paulcosca.tumblr.com My blog. Reviews, thoughts, and more!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-...86479458046259 Facebook! This is the way I like communicating best.

Back in the black, & staying there! Marian Perera's Avatar
    Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    From the FAQ :

How to be an Author

The first thing you want to do when trying to become an author is to figure out what kind of author you want to become. Do you want be a romance author or a mystery?

I am already a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma.

Or would you prefer to write non-fiction? Or maybe you want to write a fantasy novel focused more for young adults. When you decide what kind author you want to become, then you can decide on a general idea of a story. Just remember this process will take time and a lot of dedication and before you know it, you will be on your way.
    This isn't specific or insightful advice at all.

"The novel has a dark, eerie, fairy-tale feel." Washington Post's review of The Beast Prince

AmazonWebsite

Know what you write...
    Or maybe you want to write a fantasy novel focused more on young adults.
    Nope, the text content of the FAQ is enough reason for me not to recommend them.

Yeah, it's pretty self-explanatory why anyone would want to become a writer. Umm, cause I like to write? I don't need to be told that. I'm not sure of anybody wanting to look at their guidelines and facts to find out that once I figure out what I want to write. I would have written something already. Not ass-backwards.

So, okay...all I gotta do is decide on what to write and write a general story (another vague statement) and that's it? Wow, why couldn't I think of that first? Sounds pretty lame to me. The only thing they have right is that it will take a lot of time and dedication.

If they want to get serious they should have questions and answers on there that authors are looking to find out about, like will I get paid. Show me the money, ya know what I'm sayin'.

If you're still interested in them, make sure you know what you're getting into and ask a bunch of questions first. It would be such a hassle to find out all that and have it be the other way around and have to pay for their services. No thanks.

Vagueness reeks of red signs.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    Looking at their submissions guidelines, they want you to list the other publishers that you've sent your manuscript to--why do they need to know who you sent it to? Shouldn't a simple statement that you've submitted simultaneously to other publishers be enough?.

They also want you to tell them, "Why TLT Publishing is the publisher for you." That just seems odd to me. This is supposed to be a business relationship; when I buy a car, I don't have to start out with why I chose a particular car dealer, just sell me a danged car.
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

banned as an incurable tosspot

Thanks

Thank you all for the good advice.

Gordo

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    It's not a vanity or subsidy publisher. It is run by a very, very small staff, unfortunately. Books that were slated to be released more than a year ago have not been released. I would not sign with them.