Replotting novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeganJoWrites

Superpowers: Making babies, writing
Registered
Reaction score
So, I wrote a novel. Good for me, right?

I queried it. No bites. My query did not do well here in SYW.

Finally face the fact that the issue was with my MS. The plot was weak, the characters didn't have set motivations. All in all, it was good practice at writing, but not sellable. Depressing but I'm proud of myself for not being stubborn.

So, I have a new idea for a plot. The only thing that is really the same is the characters. If I query this, would I even mention that I had previously queried another version? The only thing that would be the same are the character's names and overall personalities.

I realize I'm getting ahead of myself, but I was curious.

(If this isn't the right thread, mods can move it.)

MeganJoWrites

Registered
Reaction score
I'd rename the characters as well, just to be on the safe side. Don't mention the previous project.

That probably would be the right thing to do.

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
If you didn't get any bites, I don't think you'd need to worry too much about changing character names, unless that's something that will help with you writing the novel. The people who read that query will have read hundreds and hundreds between your last query and your new one. Don't bother mentioning you queried before. Just polish it the very best you can, make sure it's ready, and send it out there.

StaircaseInTheDark

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why having queried an earlier version would be a problem? Is it? When I was younger and kind of stupid I sent off a terrible version of a story, I always assumed that I'd be fine to try to get a polished version of it published without changing the characters. I would have thought the only potential problem would be them recognising it and thinking they'd already seen that story, but I can't see why they would remember one specific manuscript that would have been a while ago by the time the new version is finished. Are you supposed to mention if you've queried a story before?

MeganJoWrites

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why having queried an earlier version would be a problem? Is it? When I was younger and kind of stupid I sent off a terrible version of a story, I always assumed that I'd be fine to try to get a polished version of it published without changing the characters. I would have thought the only potential problem would be them recognising it and thinking they'd already seen that story, but I can't see why they would remember one specific manuscript that would have been a while ago by the time the new version is finished. Are you supposed to mention if you've queried a story before?

I wish I saved the article, but an agent on Twitter just mentioned that if you revise and resend, you are supposed to mention a previously sent query.

But mine is going to be so drastically different, that I think I'm good. I'd like to keep the names.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
By the sound of it, you're not revising and resending. You're writing a completely different book that happens to have the same characters.

I'm doing something similar right now. A year and a half ago, I queried an upper MG fantasy with a thirteen-year-old main character. I didn't get any bites.

Now I'm writing another story with the same character. He's eleven now, and the plot is completely different. I'm not worried about them thinking it's the same story, because it obviously isn't. That sounds like what you have.

MeganJoWrites

Registered
Reaction score
By the sound of it, you're not revising and resending. You're writing a completely different book that happens to have the same characters.

I'm doing something similar right now. A year and a half ago, I queried an upper MG fantasy with a thirteen-year-old main character. I didn't get any bites.

Now I'm writing another story with the same character. He's eleven now, and the plot is completely different. I'm not worried about them thinking it's the same story, because it obviously isn't. That sounds like what you have.

Yes, you are right. Plot is different. I might have some key points, but it is truly a different novel.

Good luck on your WIP!

StaircaseInTheDark

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I saved the article, but an agent on Twitter just mentioned that if you revise and resend, you are supposed to mention a previously sent query.

It had never even occurred to me that this could be the case. I don't know how similar my finished draft is going to be, but it's good to know stuff like that. Thanks for enlightening me.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
So, I have a new idea for a plot. The only thing that is really the same is the characters.

Plots matter less than you think. People like attractive characters that they can empathize with, but it's hard to get this across in a query. A query is a crapshoot, and you get about 30 seconds of an agent's time to make an impression. It deserves as much work and study as you can put into it.

So you have to sell the query with the plot, but sell the manuscript with the characters. It's a tough world, writing.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
If I query this, would I even mention that I had previously queried another version?

Personally, I wouldn't.

The only thing that would be the same are the character's names and overall personalities.

And will those personalities (along with their desires, agendas, and motives) actually drive the story this time? Because it sounds like that didn't happen the last time around.

LHGalloway

Registered
Reaction score
Two cents -- go for it. I did something similar, and am so glad for it. Well-developed characters make writing an engaging plot so much easier.

Since it's a new novel with a completely different storyline, I wouldn't bother mentioning the previous query. It will most likely be months, if not longer, until you query again. By then, the previous query will be long forgotten.

Good luck!

jpspell

Registered
Reaction score
Since it's a new plot, I'd treat it like a new book, independent of the other one, and not mention the previous query.

MeganJoWrites

Registered
Reaction score
And will those personalities (along with their desires, agendas, and motives) actually drive the story this time? Because it sounds like that didn't happen the last time around.

LOL, yeah, that's the goal this time.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Since you didn't get any bites, nobody will remember you or your book. Keep your names. Don't mention every having submitted before. I doubt anyone would even care.

EIPBarbuzano

A non-entity most of the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.israelbarbuzano.net
+1 for not mentioning it. Since your plot will be completely different, your query will look nothing like the old one, from hook to word count. Your name might ring a distant bell if the agent has an exceptional memory, but I'd say then they'll assume you're querying a different novel altogether.

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
You rewrote the whole MS. I wouldn't bring up the ghost of the past.
And don't be so negative on your writing. You've never passed the query stage. No agent ever saw your writing sample outside of the query.

Status
Not open for further replies.