• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Cedar Tree Books

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Cedar Tree Books of Wilmington, Del., is a small regional publisher focusing on local history. Contract requires copyright in the publisher's name; offers no advance; and royalties are based on net, not cover.

The press also assists with self-publishing. Authors who self-publish retain their copyright, but books are printed under the Cedar Tree label and logo, with no outward differentiation between those and other of its books.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Contract requires copyright in the publisher's name;

No. Just no. Don't even consider an offer from these people.

royalties are based on net, not cover.

That would be a deal-breaker for me, but some people might find that acceptable.

The press also assists with self-publishing.

Is this a euphemism for pay-to-play vanity?

books are printed under the Cedar Tree label and logo, with no outward differentiation between those and other of its books.

Are they selective at all about what books they "assist" with "self-publishing"? If not, I can't imagine this helping the books that they actually do publish.

AphraB

A faithful friend & a good library
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"books are printed under the Cedar Tree label and logo, with no outward differentiation between those and other of its books."

I wonder if they are trying to be like Arcadia's Images of America imprint? Books from that imprint have an instantly identifiable look and are of decent and dependable quality.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a euphemism for pay-to-play vanity?

I don't know. I didn't inquire about that side of things.

Are they selective at all about what books they "assist" with "self-publishing"? If not, I can't imagine this helping the books that they actually do publish.

I've only read one book published in this way, and it was well done. It's a very popular local memoir that seems to be selling well locally.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
From their front page (bolding mine)

Cedar Tree Books provides a full range of publishing services, which include editing, book design, production, printing, marketing, distribution, and sales. We specialize in the publication of works by Delaware historians on topics of local interest, i.e., the history, personalities, landmarks, and lore of Delaware and the Delmarva Peninsula.

About Our Books
Commissioned by Cedar Tree Books, local authors have written a series of works that have been acclaimed by reviewers. Many of our editions are fine examples of the bookmaker's art, printed on rich, acid-free paper, and fully bound in foil-stamped cloth. As such, they are prized by local history buffs and collectors of fine books

The first paragraph seems to be describing either a vanity press or services for self-published authors (can't tell which). The second paragraph seems to be describing work-for-hire. Given that these are at opposite ends of the publishing spectrum, this needs clarification.