The Ashes - 2013 part one

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
We're six points to four up so we only need to draw the next one and we've won it. I haven't seen any footage, just been following it on Cricinfo.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure who the aussie batsman was, but the England wicketkeeper did a shuffle to first slip, then a weird hang-time planking stretch to catch it.

I don't know why they didn't send Prior in. I'dve sent him in earlier. I'm excited, I don't mind admitting.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Oh you are fucking joking, Aleem Dar! How can you stop this for light? There's only four overs left!

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
Urrrgggh. Just. Urrrrrgggh. The best and the worst of cricket in one day. Ballsy captaincy from Clarke, great batting from England, great fielding from Aus, and then......oh crumbs, a bit of bad light. Let's go home. I know it's their job and everything, but as a fan, it's so frustrating.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's not really the umps fault. It's that stupid ICC rule. We need to go back to the common sense way

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I don't want to speak for australians here (but I'm gonna), I think they'd probably rather be 'carried out on their shield' like the sportsmen that they are, and actually finish the game, rather than this tame ICC rule intervening. Who does it serve? When has any fielder (or batsman) been injured because they can't see the ball due to bad light? I can't recall it ever happening, in any form of the game, no matter how bad the light.

I understand the logic. It's just sad that this is the result.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. Clarke was arguing quite heatedly that the umps should call it off for light.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It was unfair on the Australians to go on for so long, and I don't blame Clarke for arguing. The commentators seemed sure that they had gone off in better light earlier in the series.

I think the ICC rule should actually stay, as frustrating as it is, because there has to be a fair limit set somewhere. Going back to offering the option to a side and having them decide based on how well it suited them was worse than this.

Maybe they should get more lighting at the grounds. :)

Australia, thank you for a great series. It was very entertaining. See you in three months!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not saying that it should be down to the sides, it should be up to the umpire. But they should also be allowed to use their common sense.

It's not just for the players. There's a lot of people paid a lot money to watch it. They should also be taken into consideration.

Nualláin

Registered
Reaction score
Oh look, a cricket thread!

Enjoyed the Ashes series, and I predicted a 3-0 victory at Durham months before we started, so felt pretty smug about that. Ian Bell is a colossus, though, and only he and a few inspired spells of bowling produced that scoreline.

Watching the second T20 now. Finch has gone for 5 after that spectacular knock in the first one, Aussies are 34-2 chasing 196. Also well done to the ladies for winning their series as well!

Nualláin

Registered
Reaction score
Hah, I know! I haven't been on AW in ages, otherwise I'd have been all over this thread. Just dropped in last night to see how this place was doing, and spotted the thread by pure chance.

Good victory today to draw the T20s, not that it matters near as much as the Tests. Now we go all of six days before playing the Aussies again. Whatever will I do?