The Ashes - 2013 part one

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
And I bet TPTB at Trent Bridge are really panicking about this Test not lasting til Saturday! LOL!

Yeah, I was thinking that, why did they start the test on a Wednesday? Especially these days, when test matches tend to wrap up a lot sooner. It always used to be Thursdays were the first day. I guess it's a gamble on having either a Sunday or a Monday finish.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
KP has 22 centuries and 30 half-centuries from 94 tests, at an average of 49. We lost 26 of those test matches, in which he averages 28. Basically, on a bad week for England, KP will get you thirty or so. If we're on top, it's anything from fifty to a hundred and fifty. He's a beast. He only looks mortal in the context of our team because Cook (with even better stats) and Trott (on course to do the same as KP) are also bestial.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's not his averages that are the problem for me. And I'm not saying he is bad player because he's not. But he can only play in one way. He always swings his bat whether we need that or not. And the position he plays in, sometimes he needs to just stay there. Just hold his wicket. And he won't. He has precipitated more than one middle order collapse.

It's not his stats. It's his attitude.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
It's not his averages that are the problem for me. And I'm not saying he is bad player because he's not. But he can only play in one way. He always swings his bat whether we need that or not. And the position he plays in, sometimes he needs to just stay there. Just hold his wicket. And he won't. He has precipitated more than one middle order collapse.

It's not his stats. It's his attitude.

I've seen so many players - Ramprakash, Hick, Flintoff now and again - who are basically attacking, dominating batsmen get in to terrible trouble by trying to drop anchor. I'm not really sure playing in a way that you're not temperamentally suited to is ever a really good move. On the flip side, we'll criticise Trott for scoring slowly when we think the accelerator needs to be leant on.

It's always a bit of a gamble when KP comes to the crease but the odds really aren't that bad. In a losing cause, he averages 30.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm... you are right about the playing against your temperament. I do admit that.

And it may be slightly more personal in that I don't much like him. The whole 'left arm spin' debacle pissed me off quite a lot and I lost respect for him then. He's very willing to take the glory when he plays well but won't take the responsibility when he doesn't.

But we'll see how he goes. I've got my fingers crossed that he doesn't screw up the dressing room again.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Not too many scares for Australia in the first half hour

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think I must work with Waylander. One of my colleagues keeps popping over to ask me how it's going and both times it was just before the wicket!

And Popeye is out! He did it again!

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
tell him to stop. quick! pleeeease.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm getting really fed up with this young fella. We've already got him out once and he's still scoring boundaries.

Get this bastard out!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, good for him for hanging in there!

I love hearing Jim Maxwell saying "deb-oo" (debut). Makes me smile every single time.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
I hope the England top order are watching this closely, if a 19 year old number 11 (alright, maybe he's not a genuine number 11, but still) on day-boo is going to top score in the first innings. Clearly it's not such a bad day for batting.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
It's a bit annoying when we apparently had him out on 6. Although thems the breaks, and it was a shame he didn't get his century.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, looks like we're going to get a definitive answer on Kevin Pieterson's temperament after tea. Do we want him to play his natural game? Now I'm not so sure.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
No, we don't. We want him to play sensibly like he is at the moment. And now I've said that, he'll be out.....

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What an astonishing innings by Agar!

Cook and Pietersen batting very solidy up to close of play. Need a lot more of that tomorrow.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
My favourite anecdote yesterday was Aggers, he said once he went out to face Malcolm Marshall, and "the first ball went through my armpit, someone in the crowd appealed, so I walked".

Fingers crossed Pieterson and Cook are going to grind out a huge lead.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe KP is going to prove me a liar! LOL! Or maybe he's learnt to play test cricket, rather than 5 one-dayers. Fingers crossed.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
And I no sooner say that and he's out!

I really should learn to keep my trap shut......