• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Monolith Books

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to add to things when you're already fielding comments and questions from multiple directions, but I have to say that this bothered me:

- I won't be the only person working on projects. Max (my partner in crime) and I will each proofread the manuscript and make our own edits. Then we'll get together and go through it word-by-word. After that I'll do the layout, while Seth will do the cover. I'm glad I have the help, because I know I wouldn't be able to do it all on my own

This seems to suggest that your process is:
  • proofread
  • edit (perhaps development edit?)
  • different edit (perhaps copy-edit?)
  • typeset.

... which does seem somewhat back to front, to say the least! I wonder if perhaps you meant something else by your use of the term 'proofread' and if you just forgot to mention the typeset proofs would have their proper proofread stage. And I'm sure you know it, but your reference to whether you'd be ABLE to do it all on your own is irrelevant - for example, the copy-editor should not proofread the same project.

I think it'd be helpful for any prospective clients (not necessarily here, but generally) if you could be as exact as possible about what you will be doing in the editorial stages, both to give them confidence and to ensure all Monolith books go through a correct, thorough editorial process.

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if he thinks proofreading (fixing spelling and grammar) = editing.

If so, someone needs to go back to ENL 101 and 102.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if he thinks proofreading (fixing spelling and grammar) = editing.

If so, someone needs to go back to ENL 101 and 102.

Considering there's no specification on the site about any types of editing; the site claims to be able to 'edit' fiction, poetry, academic papers, etc., without any explanation, experience or education, refers to ms. length in terms of pages, etc., I'd guess you're correct.

Interestingly, the process is described as each of the two people "making... edits" then comparing. I guess the author isn't consulted in whatever their editing process is.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Last edited:

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt answers!

- We're still ironing out final details of the contracts, but it looks like this: authors sign a three-year exclusive agreement with us, after which they can either extend or take their work elsewhere. During the three years they may not publish their work anywhere else, the exception being publishing a story/chapter/poem on their own site for promotional purposes.

Does this mean that for those three years you are requesting all print, electronic, audio, film, and all other subsidy rights, in all languages, world-wide? If so, that's an unusually large rights-grab for an e-pub to make, even for a three-year term. Claiming only English-language electronic-publication rights would be much more reasonable, since that's what you're set up to exploit.

As for what we're offering to authors, a chance to get their work available to a wider audience.
Cool. And what are you going to do to achieve that, beyond what an author can do for themselves?

Edited to add: A few more as-an-editor questions, if you can stand it:
  • Do you have a preferred style-book?
  • What's your overall take on copyeditorial latitude?
  • In your view, what else does a copyeditor do?
  • In the context of fiction, what do you recognize as forms of privileged speech?

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site gone. Going by Amazon, published two books; both by owner.