The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Untold Press

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Untold Press

I ran across this site on facebook, has anyone heard of Untold Press before?

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    I haven't heard of them, but they only let me out on alternate Tuesdays.

Site's registered to Sean Hayden, who is also one of their authors. Not surprising, since in their "About Us" page, they say they're a group of authors. They also don't list last names, so those involved are:
    Sean (Hayden?)
    Jen (Whylie? Another of their authors.)
    Julie
    Donna
    Jackie
    Erin
    Christina

Other than all being authors, they don't say what other skills the staff are bringing to the table: Jen, Sean and Julie are listed as editors; what editing experience (other than as authors self-editing) do they have, for example.

The website was registered in 2011, so they've been in business about 2 years. They have ten books listed, eight of which are by Jen and Sean. Of the other two, one is an anthology with other authors' short stories and one is a YA steampunk novel.

Personally, I'd wait and see, but I'm a cautious beggar.
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping Oldbrasscat's Avatar
    In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies...
    Their covers look nice. And there is a page that lists their last names and contains bios, although I was a bad girl and didn't read through them. Still, after two years, you would think they might have books out by more than two people.
    The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel. -- Steve Furtick
    Above all, don't fear difficult moments. The best comes from them. -- Rita Levi-Montalcini

The Blunt Instrument: Dang it! Now I'm blogging too?

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    Were the last names/bios on their authors page? I didn't see last names for the staff folk.
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping Oldbrasscat's Avatar
    In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies...
    Yeah, it was the author bios, now that I look back at it. My bad--I assumed the initial overlap I found in the first three meant that the whole thing overlapped and I was on my way out the door, so I didn't check any further.

The only person associated with them right now who has actually worked at a publisher seems to be one of the authors, who isn't a staff member.

I wonder what their sales are like.
    The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel. -- Steve Furtick
    Above all, don't fear difficult moments. The best comes from them. -- Rita Levi-Montalcini

The Blunt Instrument: Dang it! Now I'm blogging too?

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbrasscat View Post
    I wonder what their sales are like.
    Email one of their authors and ask.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

I know Sean and Jen wrote novels and short stories for Echelon Press, and I believe they may have worked for Echelon as editors. They're lovely folks, and I'm excited that they've decided to branch out and form their own company (and I agree that the covers are nice!)

Not sure about sales, but like jenn said you could probably contact one of their authors to get more information...
    YA psychological thriller--repped and revising.

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.

To dance and write is divine. TheDancingWriter's Avatar
    Any updates on these guys? My PA sent me a link to the site, thinking it'd be a good fit for a WIP I'm working on outside of The Stars Trilogy. It's 2014, they don't have a whole lot of authors, and they don't have a whole lot of books.

When Stars Die (AEC Stellar Publishing, Inc., being re-released soon.)
    I Am the Bell Jar (2013: A Stellar Collection)

Goodreads

Just the facts, please
    It's a little weird that the Untold Press name is on every cover. Not typical of a trade publisher.

Coffee Coffee Work Coffee AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JournoWriter View Post
    It's a little weird that the Untold Press name is on every cover. Not typical of a trade publisher.
    It is fairly typical of an e-publisher, though. If you look at my cover, the Loose Id name is there.

On paperback books, the publisher's name or logo is located on the spine, but ebooks don't have spines.

(ETA: FYI, on the trade paperback version of my book, the logo is on the spine and the Loose Id name was removed from the cover.)
    Last edited by amergina; 01-11-2014 at 12:58 AM.
    Latest Release: Daily Grind
    Coming October 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

practical experience, FTW Anarchic Q's Avatar
    One of their books is free in ebook format for a few days. I downloaded it to see the quality. Currently it's in the #800's in Free Kindle paranormal romance category in the states and #1,900's in the same catagory in Amazon.ca.
    Do Not Tamper With - My Writing, Art & Reviews Blog
    Wheelchair Seating for the Apocalypse - A horror short story by Q. Published on Spinetingler Magazine.
    Re-Invention - A sci-fi short story by Q. Printed in Make Something Magazine.
    GoodReads