Status
Not open for further replies.

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
An independent Florida book store chain (about eight stores) has said it will be happy to host a book presentation/signing for me for my latest release, HAVANA QUEEN. So far, so good. Here, however, is the clincher:

There is a fifty dollar ($50) non-refundable stocking fee and two hundred dollar ($200) event fee that must be paid upon delivery (of consignment books). Additional fees, for email blast invitation or catered reception (see below) are optional. These fees can be paid by credit card or check.

OPTIONAL: $500 charge. We will create/design and send out a stand-alone, e-mail invite (to its 18,000 database) to promote the event in the weeks prior to the event. If you select this option, please let your event coordinator know, as soon as possible, so the email blast can be added to the bookstore’s blast schedule. Payment must be received two weeks in advance of the scheduled date of the event.

Since the ebook revolution, I've stopped doing these book store appearances. I just wasn't getting sales or much publicity from them and considered them mostly a waste of time. But indie bookstore managers were always happy to host them and went out of their way to publicize the events and put on real nice programs -- for free! Some would even provide hors d'oeuvres and drinks. This is the first time a store has demanded payment and I'm balking at it. The thing is, my rep is lining up tv and radio interviews and speaking engagements. Nobody is demanding that I pay for these events.

Since I'm out of date concerning book store signings, I'm uncertain as to whether this is a growing practice, or not. Also, I suspect they demand payment from indie authors, but likely not from traditionally published writers (though I can't confirm this). What do others think of this? I'm inclined to tell them to jump off a long pier, but I tend to have a hair trigger temper sometimes.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd tell them to go and get stuffed.

Book signings can be good for well-known writers, but they have never been very effective sales tools for most writers.

They're really pushing their luck there.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
When I've done signings at chain stores, I recall some reference to my publisher paying some fee for it. No details, just a hazy recollection.

I recently held a book launch party here in the UK, and yes I paid a fee. It was an after-hours event, with the whole store and 4 staff, plus wine. I totally understand paying for that. The two options they gave me were to ticket the event, where a minimum number of attendees would cover base costs, or pay a flat fee (which was very reasonable). Yes, they made money off of selling my books, but they hosted a party for me! No problem paying for that.

Asking for an author to pay a fee for a signing during opening hours is different, I understand, but perhaps from their experience they don't expect the sales to cover the costs of their extra effort. Or perhaps they want to put in this hurdle to keep the number of requests manageable.

In my experience, signings dependent on the interest of the general public tend to be sparsely attended (unless of course you are famous!). Signings aimed at a personal guest list of yours (while also open to the public) are more worthwhile.

Last edited:

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
A bookstore is essentially investing in each author it hosts for a signing. There are costs for space, personnel, publicity and logistics. With trade-published authors, they can perhaps be reasonably sure they'll earn that back in sales, because the publisher is doing marketing as well. With self-published books, as it appears yours are, there's no guarantee, and they're selling books of unknown quality. Kind of makes sense to me to make sure the business gets something out of it to pay its workers and the electric bill.

The thing is, my rep is lining up tv and radio interviews and speaking engagements. Nobody is demanding that I pay for these events.

At least in the States, an interview subject should never have to pay. You're providing the media outlet with content for free. That's the benefit you provide them, and all it costs them is time. Totally different from bookstores.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, sounds like a collateral violation of Yog's Law to me...

(big wink and a thumbs up for Uncle Jim)

Angkor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hmm, sounds like a collateral violation of Yog's Law to me...

(big wink and a thumbs up for Uncle Jim)

James D. McDonald's axiom:

Yog’s Law: "Money flows toward the author." The corollary is: The only place a writer signs a check is on the back.

-- I like this!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Since the ebook revolution, I've stopped doing these book store appearances. I just wasn't getting sales or much publicity from them and considered them mostly a waste of time.

They were a waste of time before the ebook revolution too.

If my publisher sets one up I go. Otherwise, I have better things to do.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I've never heard of it. And I wouldn't pay it. If the signing is not worth their time to stock the books it is probably not worth the author's time in being there.

Angkor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
They were a waste of time before the ebook revolution too.

If my publisher sets one up I go. Otherwise, I have better things to do.

Wow! I wasn't expecting the real James D. MacDonald to show up here. Thanks for your very useful comment. It's especially valuable coming from a successful, veteran author!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
My local indie store is doing this. They charge $150 for a package that includes hosting the event, getting a few copies on shelves and an email blast. $500 seems ridiculous for an email blast, but maybe your store has a huge, huge list.

I feel weird about it, especially when I get the press releases touting these authors who clearly paid for their events. (Are they vetted at all? I hope so.) But I want the store to survive, and if that means it needs new revenue streams, so be it. We're very close to being a college town with no bookstore.

That said, I wouldn't pay for an event. I've seen too many poorly attended readings for trade published authors.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as a reader, I've never been to a signing/reading, and have no urge to 'meet the author'. I think it depends if you have 'fans' or 'readers'. There are some writers who are 'big names', generate 'buzz', go to conventions, etc.
I would think they are the ones that people might go to see in the flesh, if they have a name for putting on a bit of a show.
Other than those rare few, I think most people would rather spend their time and money on a new book.
The local indie kid's books store does a few 'events' a year, usually writers with popular series'.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
The only signings I've been to are ones where I know the author personally, and I think it's fair to say that all the other people who attended were there for the same reason. We all bought books, drank wine, pretended we all knew what we were talking about as though networking came naturally, and went home.

They weren't while-the-shop-is-open events, so YMMV, but I suspect apart from a few very casual shoppers they're not so different (but minus the wine). One friend had success organising an event for a few days before father's day, since she could flog her book to left-it-too-late kids.

I'd pay for an evening event to launch a book, in the same way I might consider renting a venue for a birthday party - there's more costs associated with opening after hours for the shop, after all - but I absolutely wouldn't pay for a during-the-day signing.

Xx.Sunshine

Registered
Reaction score
Yeesh, that is a lot of money to drop for an event that will most likely not translate into sales. I've never heard of book stores charging for events- although if this is something you are interested in doing, it would be worth it to a). promote it yourself b). create your own flyers and posters and c). ask other authors to join you so that you can cross-promote each other. Maybe their fans will also become your fans and so on...

The feedback I've heard from the authors I know is that they're lucky if they sell a few copies of the book and the majority of people that show up are people they know well. So, if you don't really have a lot of a fans it definitely isn't a great option.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a number of signings at bookstores and not one of them ever asked for money. Not only was it free, but one of the stores had a nice table set up with refreshments and even wine,

PortableHal

Not-so-new
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsneedswriters.com
I'll bet the Florida chain doesn't ask popular or famous authors to pay a fee for a signing.

If you're not famous or popular, you'll need to stack the book signing with neighbors and friends if you'd like to get your money back. In my experience, unknown writers tend to be ignored by the shoppers around them.

It can be a hard world out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.