Cleaning House

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Not too long ago, I picked up this bad habit of starting new stories before finishing old ones. Now, I have 14 open word files with works in progress. I am going to make myself finish all of these before starting a new story. Most of them are a third to halfway through. I am going to try and get through this quickly so I don't have them hanging over my head, but it might take me all summer. Do you guys ever go back and try to finish everything you start? Any tips for how to get through the stories you once abandoned?

Russell Secord

nearly perfect
Registered
Reaction score
This may not help, but I tend to let stories develop in my head before I start writing them. In other words, by the time I start setting down text, I'm ready to go all the way to the end. At that point it's not a question of whether I can finish but whether I can stop myself.

If I were you, I would finish the latest story, then the next latest, and so on. You may stop before you reach the oldest, but by then you may not want to finish the rest. Once you lose the spark that got you started on a piece, it's hard to get it back. A good writer knows when to shelve a piece.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
For the most part, I finish a first draft of a story after I start it. There are a few where things just fell apart, and those were left unfinished simply because it was easier to start another story (and finish it) rather than stew about the one that was going nowhere.

I do have this problem sometimes of finishing a first draft, and then not remembering to go back and polish it up. There are at least three stories on my computer right now, in fact, where that's the case. I know about those three because I was skimming through my files and saw titles to stories I'd forgotten about.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If I start it, I finish it. I do this largely because of Heinlein's Rules, but I also do it because I believe writers learn best and fastest when they make themselves finish the hard stories, the ones that have problems, that take more work and effort.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I keep that sort of work in my "idea file" - but I finish one before I really and truly start on another.

I like to jot down the good stuff that doesn't belong in my current work: great opening hook lines, super plot twists, intriguing characters, "what if" plot possibilities, satisfying endings, etc. but I do not work on them all at once.

Pick a story and go with it - two if you need to swtich off to avoid The Blank Screen of Death syndrome - and go from there. If you have a lot of good ideas, try incorporating several into one story instead of one-idea-per-story.

Your mileage may vary - it works for me, but we all do it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.