How to find a book's sales over time?

Arianne

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any way to find out the sales of a book (not my own) over time? Like, would it be possible to see how many copies of The Hunger Games sold in the year it came out, and the year after that?

In news articles and stuff you often see "X book has sold over a million copies worldwide" and I wonder how they calculate that, and over what period of time, and what editions, and e-book or physical books etc.

I'm interested purely out of curiosity, as I think it would be interesting to check the "trends" of some of my favorite books.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
In news articles and stuff you often see "X book has sold over a million copies worldwide" and I wonder how they calculate that, and over what period of time, and what editions, and e-book or physical books etc.

That comes from the publisher's publicity department. They're the only ones in a position to know.

Any other sales figures you see bandied about range from Complete Guesswork to Wildly Random Complete Guesswork.

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
BookScan is what the industry uses. Amazon provides access for authors and some writers organizations (like RWA) offer a subscription discount for its members.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
BookScan is what the industry uses. Amazon provides access for authors and some writers organizations (like RWA) offer a subscription discount for its members.

At best, BookScan only gives you part of the numbers. The industry does use BookScan, but they have to wait for numbers from several types of outlets that BookScan doesn't cover before they have anything like the complete picture.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A subscription to Bookscan is very expensive, and the figures aren't completely accurate: they're getting better but I'd guess that they still only catch about 80% of the sales.

Publishers do know how many copies they've sold, however, because they control their stock and invoices and so on.

But they're unlikely to tell you what their sales are because they're too busy to answer such queries, and it's not really any of your business.

Also, many books come out in several editions (for example, hardback and paperback, plus large print, audio etc), and in several different territories and languages, and collating the information about all of those different editions would be a mammoth task. Only an author, and his or her agent, would have that information available and they're not likely to share it with people they don't know.