cigarette holders ===~

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... when someone finishes smoking do they extract the cigarette from the holder before extinguishing them in an ashtray or do they extinguish it while it's still in the holder and then extract the spent cigarette and place it in the ashtray, prior to putting a fresh cigarette into the holder to smoke.

And if they do pull out the cigarette before extinguishing it might they be tempted to take a last puff without the holder, as a declaration of nonchalance or whatnot. "Bother this mannerly stuff!"

Thanks.

ps Not sure if holders are still chic.
(Story is a period piece from back when.)

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
:D I usually extinguished my cigarettes before taking them out of the holder, but there is/was no etiquette that I know of. It really doesn't matter. If I was wearing gloves - something else from the days of cigarette holders - I would be very careful not to get ashes on them or burn them.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
My mom used a cigarette holder when I was a kid. She would tamp out the cig while still in the holder and then use the edge of the ashtray (or a handy nearby wall edge, if outside) to knock it out of the holder without touching it. Same reason---ash and heat on fingers.

She was very sad when her last one cracked and she wasn't able to find another like it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What period is this?

I'm another one who generally used to stub it out in the holder, then see-saw the holder on the ash tray to ease the stub out, or otherwise tease it out. My Aunt used to pluck it out with her fingers and then stub the thing out. Different strokes for different people- no fixed method.

Also depends what kind of cigarette holder it is. Is it long? Is it stubby? Is it in the form of a miniature pipe- yes, they had those in the fifties. It was all the rage at one stage to use a holder. Filters only just arrived back then. And coloured ciggies, too. Black, brown, green- all colours. Was it Sobranie? And oval ones, too. What? No- not the EIGHTEEN fifties- cheek :rant:

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My mom had one. Swear to G. she looked like a Nazi interrogator when she used the thing while haranguing me about one lapse or another. As I remember she did get that last puff after removing it from the holder. Funny because the holder had some kind of filter to block the cancer causing elements of the smoke. (Fat lot of good that it did her!)

The thing I remember most vividly about it was coming home late from a date on summer night. I was sneaking up the alley when I noticed her standing watch on the back porch. The volcanic glow of her cigaret tipped me off. I got on my hands and knees and crawled through the neighbor's yard, let myself in the unlocked front door and slipped down the basement stairs to sleep in the twin bed in my brother's room. She was fuming on that porch till the wee hours. In the morning I insisted that I had been home early but my brother was listening to music so I went down to talk to him.

He, of course, covered my story. She was flat pissed off for days but that was my story and I was sticking to it! Thank you Nazi cigaret holder! --s6

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... "gloves." Neat additional detail. May try to incorporate that too, WriteMinded.

Never would have considered that possibility, Cathy and Bufty.
Would figure that the cigarette would be wedged in too tight
to be able to knock it out. Convenient that you could.
But I guess it had to be snug enough so it wouldn't fall out
when you tapped ashes into the tray. I almost feel like
experimenting and getting some direct knowledge
in addition to satisfying my curiosity.

1940's, Bufty.
Spot on about "Sobranie."
I read a novel by Cornell Woolrich set in the late 1800s
and the female lead smoke that brand as I recall.
"Scandalous for her to even be smoking period during the era."

Clever ruse, Shakeysix ;-)
May have my protag take a last drag
w/o the holder after all.
Somehow suits the character.

Thnx :)

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
You don't always need to tap a cigarette to get rid of the ash. Another way is to roll the ash against the inside of an ashtray to detach it.

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on cigarette holders, but I believe some are spring-loaded so the cigarette can be pushed out.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... "spring-loaded;" neat.
Used to "flick" finished cigs when I smoked.
With this contraption I could have shot them instead,
and exceeded my 15 foot record quite possibly.
Wish I'd known about it at the time!

Poetry in motion there, Miranda.
To make a cig you roll one;
to discard ashes, you roll one,
whilst listening to rock 'n ROLL on the juke !

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
there might be a market for spring loaded cigarette holders now. i never saw one, but the concept is beautiful.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
What period is this?

I'm another one who generally used to stub it out in the holder, then see-saw the holder on the ash tray to ease the stub out, or otherwise tease it out. My Aunt used to pluck it out with her fingers and then stub the thing out. Different strokes for different people- no fixed method.

Also depends what kind of cigarette holder it is. Is it long? Is it stubby? Is it in the form of a miniature pipe- yes, they had those in the fifties. It was all the rage at one stage to use a holder. Filters only just arrived back then. And coloured ciggies, too. Black, brown, green- all colours. Was it Sobranie? And oval ones, too. What? No- not the EIGHTEEN fifties- cheek :rant:

It was Sobranie - the ones called, iirc, Black Russian have black with gold tips. The coloured ones were, again iirc, Cocktail.

My grandmother used a ciggie holder. She used a pair of tweezers to remove the ciggie - I've no idea if they were specially made or just ordinary tweezers.