Status
Not open for further replies.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
They do have personalities, y'know. Spending as much time with them as I do, I have to have something to call them besides "You %&#$%^#!"

My present cybersidekick is called SilentBob. He was preceded by Big Mary, A.K.A. the BVM (Blessed Virtual Mutha or something like that). Before her was Stinky Buttfuster (previously belonged to a heavy smoker, ugh), who replaced the Cynister Mystress of Cynchronicity, twice-born successor to my very first PC, The Thang. I loved them all [sniff].

For mobile moments, I have a dear little laptop known as BitChunker; Bitsy for short. At work, my favorite machine is Golliwog.

The names pop up in my mind out of a swirling mist of coincidental circumstances. It's hard to say what's in the mix, with some. Once I have seen, touched, and booted up a new critter, its name soon arises. And sticks like a wad of gum on a shoe.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm really creative with naming my computers and components. ;)

My desktop: BlackBox.
All black case, with black theme on the inside (down to custom sleeved power cables and mobo cover). All except a couple silver pieces here and there that I can't paint over because that'll void the warranty *grumble* *grumble*.

My laptop: RedBrick.
It's a red dell 14"... not much to say.

My desktops have always ending with box, and laptops with bricks. Been doing this for... 15 years.

I've started naming my hard drives after names used as song titles from the Dear Hunter. The Pimp (my desktop OS drive), The Priest (my desktop storage) Ms.Leading (my laptop's drive), Mr.Malum, Therma, Isabella.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I don't tend to name mine fancy names, though I've been tempted.

My roommate had one named "Purple Haze" at some point though.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I name my computers after me. My nicknames and other versions of my name. Nothing exciting. Lol!

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
My laptop is called 'Coleman'. I use a non-gender specific name, because I respect it's privacy.

I did have a laptop for years called 'Eric' (pronounced in exactly the same clipped manner that Uncle Monty says the name in 'Withnail and I'), but he finally was swept away by some vulgar little virus. Almost shed a tear that day.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I used to just use my name, and then switched to others that, to me, had a bit of personality to them that seemed to go with the machine. My current laptop is called Atalanta.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
My first was 11231. Boring. It came with the name.

Then there was Neptune, who also came with the name. I miss Neptune - he had one of those Pentium 4 processors that could be used in place of a heater.

First 'put together from spare parts' was Andromeda. Technically she's still going, but no longer under that name - the hard drive died around the same time Mum's computer was reduced to her hard drive being the last working component.

My current desktop is the split-personality Starburst M-81/NGC (dual boot Win/Linux, named after two starburst galaxies). NGC isn't working right now, because I had to reinstall M-81 and it overwrote Grub :(. I'll fix it one day - probably with a whole new Linux installation.

My laptop is Lysithea, after one of the moons of Jupiter.

I also have a 7-inch netbook called Pluto. The name was inevitable - there's argument in my family over whether poor little Pluto counts as a computer or not.

Short answer - all my computers are named after something to do with space.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
My current laptop's called Akaroa. It's on its way out. The screen died a few days ago; I've plugged in an external monitor for now, but I'll have to replace the whole computer soon.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Hah, I knew I couldn''t be the only one who named computers!

There was Dave, after 2001 Space Oddessy. Haley was supposed be his companion laptop, but alas she lasted only one day due to a lethal software condition. Her replacement went on long without a name but ended up being generally known as 'Broadmug' because his monitor was broader than the older computers. Bagheera was the last one, since he was one of those shiny black computers with little blue lights.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My computers are named after Eva units.

My first MacBook was Unit-01, my first MacBook Pro was Unit-02, and my current retina MacBook Pro is Provisional Unit-05.

My external hard drives are named after NERV bases. I currently have Bethany for anime series, and Golgotha for movies. My portable drive is Tabgha. Breaking with that naming scheme, I also have Lilith for my backups.

My iPhone is named Juiz after the character in Eden of the East. Before that, my iPod Touch was named Julia after the Cowboy Bebop character.

My iPad 2 was named Alice, and my iPad 3 is name Lain, both after the respective characters in Serial Experiments Lain.

FrederickCross

Registered
Reaction score
My computer is nicknamed Salvation. It's the first brand new computer I've had in forever and I hope it will contribute to my life getting better overall.

I'm sorry if that sounds over dramatic ;p

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to look it up because I forgot...my laptop is named TARDIS. Previous netbook was named Ianto Jones. My iPod NaNo is named Tiny Cooper. My iPad I had to get for school and it doesn't seem to be cool enough to deserve a name.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend used to have a laptop named Sadie, then I got my laptop Prudence, then Sadie died and had to be replaced by Lucy, and now Prudence appears to be nearing the end of her useful life and will be succeeded sometime next year by Eleanor.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
My first built-from-scratch PC was called Frank(enstein).
My current PC, a powerhouse of a machine, is Castiel. :)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I bought my PC from an obsessive-compulsive Russian guy who built it and then suddenly had money problems. I went round to his (extremely tidy) place to pick it (and all the carefully-preserved packaging and docs) up, and was amused to find myself round the back of the Blind Beggar in east London - where Jack "The Hat" McVitie was murdered by the Kray twins way back when.

So naturally the computer is now called the KRAY II and the drives are Ronnie and Reggie.

bulldoggerel

Let Them Eat Crow
Registered
Reaction score
I call it the "antichrist" usually. Sometimes when I'm feeling really good, I call it just "the machine."

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's simply called 'Beast', but it was christened that by the friend who sourced the parts and built it for me.

On another (slightly related) note, I find the name of my mother's router particularly entertaining whenever I have cause to visit her and log on:

'You are now connected to MORDOR.'

Dun dun duuunnnnnnnnnn...

:D

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Mine's simply called 'Beast', but it was christened that by the friend who sourced the parts and built it for me.

On another (slightly related) note, I find the name of my mother's router particularly entertaining whenever I have cause to visit her and log on:

'You are now connected to MORDOR.'

Dun dun duuunnnnnnnnnn...

:D

One does not simply log into Mordor

DarthLolita

Razor Girl
Registered
Reaction score
My laptops always have names. The first two I had were called Isadora 001 and Isadora 002, both Dell computers. Since the one I have now is an acer laptop, I decided to call her Luna 001 (she was Athena for like a month after my dad accidentally renamed her during a reboot).

Then my android phone is called Hannibal (yayyy fictional serial killer) and my TI-89 calculator was called Aileen (nuuuuh, real life serial killer).

For those last two, I have no idea why I picked them. But for my computers, I think my reasoning is that if artificial intelligences are developed to some awesome level in the imminent future (and we can purchase/develop them!) my A.Is will be Isadora numbernumber or Luna numbernumber. Depends how many laptops came before that :D

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
If it starts breaking down, my computer has four-letter name that changes with degree of my anger at the breakdown. :D

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I'll give my computer a name after I figure out if it's male or female. Tonight I'll shut it down and take a peek "underneath", if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.