Dysfunctional Families

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for somewhat humorous, contemporary novels about dysfunctional families, in the vein of the following:

This Is Where I Leave You - Jonathan Tropper
The Family Fang - Kevin Wilson
Seating Arrangements - Maggie Shipstead

(or maybe The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen, though it pains me to list it because I didn't enjoy that book at all.)

Any ideas?

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Dysfunctional...yeah, I know about that! ;)

I haven't read any of the books that you listed, but you might want to check out Joe College by Tom Perrotta. It's about a Yale University student who goes back home to New Jersey to drive his father's lunch-catering truck. I thought it was somewhat humorous, contemporary (published in 2001, I think), and features at least a little "family dysfunction".

I also liked Perrotta's The Wishbones. It features some family themes but focuses on the relationships between members of The Wishbones, a rock band that performs at wedding receptions. They're all 30-something underachievers, and definitely dysfunctional. :)

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with any of those titles, but The Weird Sisters, by Eleanor Brown, is my favorite novel of that description. It's a belated coming-of-age tale about three sisters and their messed up lives. Subtitle - We love each other. We just don't like each other very much...

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with any of those titles, but The Weird Sisters, by Eleanor Brown, is my favorite novel of that description. It's a belated coming-of-age tale about three sisters and their messed up lives. Subtitle - We love each other. We just don't like each other very much...

already read that one :)

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
already read that one :)

Aww, too bad. It was good, wasn't it?

There's also everything John Irving ever wrote, and there's this Nick Hornby book called A Long Way Down that I really enjoyed (though I usually can't stand Hornby). It's really a group of people that kind of became their own family, but fits of giggles, man.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the small, dysfunctional family in Where Did You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple.