The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Sinister Grin Press

Sinister Grin Press

Sinister Grin Press is running a contest.

The rules resemble American Idol or Survivor: A few chapters go up per week, and once a week the chapters with the fewest votes gets eliminated. Round robin format. Winner gets a contract, an advance, and royalties: no specifics on those.

I'm not familiar with this press, but Mama Lily wants to take care of her Horror Hounds.

Anyone familiar with these folks? Thanks.
    Last edited by Calla Lily; 06-21-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: clarified post title

Well, I know Mort Castle (one of the judges) from the old days, and that's about the extent of my knowledge of this publication.

practical experience, FTW Lordofthehunt's Avatar
    These folks are small but well connected and doing all the right things. They're more on the extreme side, but are great people.

Lordofthehunt, that sounds great, but I was hoping for specifics. Do they have books in stores? How's their distribution? The usual questions.

practical experience, FTW Lordofthehunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    Lordofthehunt, that sounds great, but I was hoping for specifics. Do they have books in stores? How's their distribution? The usual questions.
    Yeah, sorry, I know that wasn't helpful. I'm not sure if they have books in stores (though I don't believe so) but their lineup and talent are pros such as Jack Ketchum, Wrath James White, Lee Thomas, Shane McKenzie, and Nate Southard.

They've reasonable sales numbers on Amazon, have quality covers and editing, and are very supportive of their authors. They are a small press, and are limited as such, but they're a good outfit.

Sorry I can't provide much more than cheerleading.

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    There was a very good question asked on their forum. Paraphrasing since I don't want to quote a message from another site: since the entries will be posted online so that both the judges and the public get a vote, how will that effect "first rights" since it's being "published" on the website? To view the actual question - http://deaditepress.yuku.com/topic/8...s#.UcPDXBZC-5A

A very good question, that. It was posted 2 days ago with no answer yet, but time settings on fora can be odd things. Adding that I'm really not familiar with the horror genre, but that was an interesting question. I'm looking forward to the answer.
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

So let me see if I've got this straight. They don't usually take unsolicited submissions (couldn't find info on it) so they're doing a contest for horror. Submit the first three chapters of an UNFINISHED manuscript and if they like it they will choose it for a public contest where they sugest what they want to see in the next three chapters, which you then write in a week. They eliminate until there is only one left. The last one they publish no matter what.

Its the "work in progress" thing that gets me. Maybe I misunderstood?
    http://Www.staceytrombley.com-

NAKED- available now from Entangled Teen
    PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES- January 2017, Entangled Crush

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    They did answer on the forum that the posting/reading would be password-protected. Was supposed to start in Nov, but I'm not finding any announcement of contestants, etc.

Link to home page: http://sinistergrinpress.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I went to the contact form to ask some questions. I'll report back if I hear anything.

tri