Need publishing help with non fiction

Shadynight44

Registered
Reaction score
My name is Mike Joy. A friend of mine who has published several book suggested I check out this site when I told her I am looking for a publisher. I recently finished and copyrighted a book on saving consumers money for home improvements. The book is unique and satisfies an important consumer need: it details how one can deal with contractors, subcontractors, and designers without being cheated. As an experienced subcontractor, I know the ins and outs of the home improvement business, and I brought my expertise to this book. I recently had a large Dallas firm review and consider the book -- but upon review they decided that the genre was not something they could market effectively. That is why I am here. Can anyone help? Please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you for any help you can offer!

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some broad strokes: Check out agents that handle this area and publishers that handle homeowner/renovation-type books. Visit bookstores and make a list. Check out their guidelines. Develop a query letter and proposal (even though you've got the book written; many places won't look at full manuscripts first). Submit. Repeat.

Also, don't ever describe your book as unique. There is always competition, even if it's not exactly like yours. A large section of your proposal should include an analysis of the competition and why yours is better, anyway.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a proposal? You need one of those and a list of relevant publishers to send it to.

As above, do not ever describe your book as unique. It isn't. It took me under a minute to find a similar one on Amazon and god knows there are eleventy million blogs, articles in print and web-based magazines and forums on the same topic.

I'm not saying your book wouldn't be wanted, just that it's not unique.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Publishing is not a one step process. I would suggest starting by making a short list of publishers suitable for the book.

Shadynight44

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the information so far. I do have a proposal, and I will be sure not to call the book "unique." I thought most publishers did not accept unsolicited manuscripts -- hence the need to find an agent. Does this situation vary depending on publisher?

Shadynight44

Registered
Reaction score
#2 Should I worry more about submitting directly to a publisher rather than an agent? I was always taught -- by laypeople and professional publishers -- that agents are the ones who get you in touch with the right publishers, and the write editors at publishers. Please advise!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Your need to identify the publisher before writing the proposal, they all have different requirements.

Most non-fiction publishers accept unsolicited proposals. If the publisher you want does not, approach an agent instead. Starting with agents who have had successful sales to your target publisher.

Regardless, Step #1 is to identify one or more target publishers.