Does anyone have experience with Calibre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFisher

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to throw my laptop at something, lol. I am converting my book to an .epub, but the paragraph formatting is not sticking right. I first converted the .doc to .html then uploaded to calibre. If I open it with Calibre it looks okay, but when I open it with a generic book reader on my computer, some of the chapters are double indented.

I've tried playing with some different things in Calibre but nothing's working... does anyone know what the heck I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Deleted member 42

I'd need to see the html file; I suspect that's the core of the problem.

Open the html file in a text editor, or change the .html to .txt and open it.

Fine a paragraph that's double indented; what does the html look like?

LFisher

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean open the .html file in word? Because even when I do that there is no double indentation. It's only after it's been converted to .epub. How do I change the .html to .txt?

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried the conversion using another format? When I use Calibre, I always save my doc file as rtf and then convert. (Not that I know a great deal about Calibre...)

Deleted member 42

Do you mean open the .html file in word? Because even when I do that there is no double indentation. It's only after it's been converted to .epub. How do I change the .html to .txt?

Just copy the file and edit .html to be .txt.

HTML is really just text with tags.

Keep in mind that several ereaders (Kindle is on) automatically indent paragraphs.

I suspect that there's possibly a tab that gets converted (there should be no tabs) or you've got CSS in the HTML that adds space to the indent on some paragraphs

LFisher

Registered
Reaction score
LJD- I just tried converting a PDF instead, the paragraphs didn't have the indent problem but the spacing in between them was weird (like non existent)

Medi- I will try doing that and see what it says.

Should I not be indenting my paragraphs in word then, if it does it for me? I'm really confused about that.

Deleted member 42

LJD- I just tried converting a PDF instead, the paragraphs didn't have the indent problem but the spacing in between them was weird (like non existent)

Medi- I will try doing that and see what it says.

Should I not be indenting my paragraphs in word then, if it does it for me? I'm really confused about that.

It depends on the file format of the book, and what device/ereader you want it to be on.

In terms of paragraph indents in MS Word or any word processor, don't use tabs. Use the Ruler.

You're doing the right thing in checking on the platform, rather than just relying on Calibre.

LFisher

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the file format of the book, and what device/ereader you want it to be on.

In terms of paragraph indents in MS Word or any word processor, don't use tabs. Use the Ruler.

You're doing the right thing in checking on the platform, rather than just relying on Calibre.

Okay, so maybe that's my problem... I use tab to indent. I will have to go in and change that.

When I publish, I'm going to do KDP and use smashwords for the other stores. So I still need to indent with ruler? Right now, I am just trying to format the darn thing so I can send out E-ARCs to a couple people who requested it in .epub format.

This whole thing is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be!

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Calibre is a good tool for several purposes. Creating an epub is not one of them.

I use Sigil to create the epub from one or more HTML files, usually one for each chapter of a novel. The epub goes to Barnes & Noble as an ebook.

http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

Among other advantages of Sigil is that it creates not only a standard table of contents, but that it creates a toc.ncx table of contents. This file is needed by Amazon ebooks.

THEN I use Calibre, to create a .mobi file. That goes to Amazon as an ebook.

It’s worked well for six books so far.

Deleted member 42

Okay, so maybe that's my problem... I use tab to indent. I will have to go in and change that.

When I publish, I'm going to do KDP and use smashwords for the other stores. So I still need to indent with ruler? Right now, I am just trying to format the darn thing so I can send out E-ARCs to a couple people who requested it in .epub format.

This whole thing is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be!

Yes. Tabs are used only when you're creating tables with data.

This Guide to Kindle formatting may help with Kindle: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A17W8UM0MMSQX6

LFisher

Registered
Reaction score
I will check sigil out. I have to go fix all the tabs, first. Thank you both!! :)

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Word can make a lot of problems. Check out the Smashwords style guide. It's a good guide to keeping your Word formatting compatible with any ebook converters. And Sigil is excellent for creating and editing epubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.