Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I think Seressia Glass has a UF series with a black FMC. I haven't read it though.

Yes, she does. First book is SHADOW BLADE, and I definitely recommend it (and not just because it's dedicated to me :)).

I'm not sure it counts, but there are a couple of major characters in my Downside books who are Chinese.

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Maurice Broaddus's Knights of Breton Court trilogy. From his website:

The Knights of Breton Court: King Maker. The streets of Indianapolis, the ancient Arthurian cycle is replaying in the lives of rival street gangs. Told through the eyes of King, as he gathers like-minded friends and warriors around him to venture into the fastness of Dred, the notorious crime lord, this is a stunning mix of myth and harsh reality.

http://angryrobotbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/KingMaker-samplechapter.pdf
The Knights of Breton Court: King’s Justice. Spurred on by ever more urgent visions by his mystic advisor, Merle, King attempts to unite the warring gangs. But the knights of Breton Court are assailed on all sides by greed, temptation and some very real monsters. But worse, there is betrayal from within King’s innermost circle.

http://angryrobotbooks.com/our-authors/maurice-broaddus/kings-justice-maurice-broaddus/
The Knights of Breton Court: King’s War. King has been betrayed, but he has no time to lick his wounds – he has to draw his people together to fight the ultimate foe in this conclusion to the stunning Knights of Breton Court trilogy.

WiltRhys

Skin don't come thicker than this..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.piper-anderson.com
My dark urban fantasy series has a very diverse cast of characters. The first novel in the series will be released soon and the main character is female and bi-racial (black & white). However, her complexion is darker. There are also important secondary characters who are POC as well.

I firmly believe in the necessity of POC in books. Everything I write has to have a diverse cast, I want it to be true to life. The world is a melting pot and I present it that way. I'll admit, in all my work at least one of the main characters is always a POC.

Sorry, just wanted to add my two cents to this thread. I haven't read UFs with POC so I have none to suggest, but I will be looking into the suggestions made in this thread.

Lionscourt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Check this one...a new Series...

Is LA Banks' Vampire Huntress Series all we have?

I wish more black women were in UF series...well written UF series.

Without drug dealers...

Maybe queer.

this is why I write.

Hi,
Thought yo might be interested in this book:)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0986276200/?tag=absowrit-20

Urban fantasy with (african/native am) teen girl main character.

Always keep in mind that the concepts of 'Race', ingrained into us all--especially in the US--, are fostered and necessary in a socio-economic system of modern day feudalism. Though race is a social concept, not a scientific one, it is precisely these concepts of physical dissimilarities that imprison us all...

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Hello, can anyone recommend good sci-fi with strong POC characters? My novel is a time travel/sci-fi and the protag is of Indian descent. I'm mixed race and mixed culture so personally wanted to represent an ethnic minority who doesn't deal with plot issues based on her race.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I think Mercy Thompson from Patricia Briggs is at least half Native American...

Yeah, I just looked it up. Half Blackfoot.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I think Mercy Thompson from Patricia Briggs is at least half Native American...

Yeah, I just looked it up. Half Blackfoot.

Patricia Briggs also has the "Alpha and Omega" series, set in the same world as the Mercy Thompson series. The MMC (Charles) is half Salish/half Welsh. Both series deal more with plot issues based on the supernatural aspects of the world and not on their race, other than that fact their heritage gives them (personally) some abilities that most people don't have.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the main characters in Paolo Bacigalupi's The Doubt Factory is black. It's YA, not like his other work, and the fact he chose to make the love interests interracial was well thought out, in my opinion.

In another book of his, The Water Knife, most of the characters are Hispanic.

Simpson17866

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the best approach for everybody, but I personally love tricking people into admitting something that had been previously left unsaid, so what I'm doing in my UrFan is: my first-person narrator is a white guy like me, so if a reader only likes white male MCs by white male authors, then they would easily mistake my narrator for being the main character. By the time they realize that his black female friend is actually the one driving most of the plot-action against the antagonists, it's already too late.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.