POC in URBAN FANTASY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cairo Amani

Cairo
Registered
Reaction score
Is LA Banks' Vampire Huntress Series all we have?

I wish more black women were in UF series...well written UF series.

Without drug dealers...

Maybe queer.

this is why I write.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Ben Aaronovitch's UF series (starting with US MIDNIGHT RIOT or UK RIVERS OF LONDON) has a black male MC, and black female secondary characters.

Mike Carey's THE DEVIL YOU KNOW has a black female love interest, but she doesn't show up in future books. (Which made me sad--she was awesome.)

Lauren Beukes's ZOO CITY is urban fantasy in SA with a black female lead, but it's a standalone. (Also, lots of criminals, which it sounds like you're hoping to avoid.)

I'm sure there's more, but it's not coming to mind right now.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I have a series with a Black female MC and it's urban fantasy. I also have a Black gay couple married with a son as secondary characters in the series.

I agree with you. The near total absence of characters who look like me in this genre makes me write as well. I know the audience is there. It's just up to us to bring it to them.

I SO wish Ms.Banks books could be turned into a series. Chile,I'd be all over that!

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
There is also Blade, the Vampire Killer. That dates from 1998--I know it's a movie... but it was Urban fantasy.

Though not all Urban fantasies need paranormal elements to be Urban fantasy... (That's Paranormal Urban Fantasy)

Cairo Amani

Cairo
Registered
Reaction score
Ben Aaronovitch's UF series (starting with US MIDNIGHT RIOT or UK RIVERS OF LONDON) has a black male MC, and black female secondary characters.

Mike Carey's THE DEVIL YOU KNOW has a black female love interest, but she doesn't show up in future books. (Which made me sad--she was awesome.)

Lauren Beukes's ZOO CITY is urban fantasy in SA with a black female lead, but it's a standalone. (Also, lots of criminals, which it sounds like you're hoping to avoid.)

I'm sure there's more, but it's not coming to mind right now.

Oh, hey! Thank you! :)

I have a series with a Black female MC and it's urban fantasy. I also have a Black gay couple married with a son as secondary characters in the series.

I agree with you. The near total absence of characters who look like me in this genre makes me write as well. I know the audience is there. It's just up to us to bring it to them.

I SO wish Ms.Banks books could be turned into a series. Chile,I'd be all over that!

Your series sounds really interesting! we need to talk AND convene haha.
I actually really wasn't feeling L.A bank's work. I thought it was badly written for a number of reasons. I'm also not interested in romance and she had alot of that. But I'm willing to believe that her writing got better toward the end.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Kenya Wright has the Habitat series with a black female protag and a diverse secondary cast. Haven't read it yet so can't speak to the amount of criminals. First book is called "Fire Baptized."

Alicia Brewster has a novella that might turn into a series featuring a fallen angel who's a woman of color. I'm not sure if she's black. The novella is called "Don't Call Me Angel".

Also, I know it's nitpicky, but please remember POC includes more than black people. UF is in desperate need of women of color saving the day and getting the hot guy or girl. That said, I believe there's a series with a Latina protag but can't remember if it's UF or PNR. I think it was more light and humorous than dark and angsty. I know of a lesbian UF series but the protag isn't a WOC. I think it involves a magic sword. Helpful. I know. ;)

Which reminds me to get cracking on my Cuban Chinese heroine. I sent her to hell. Literally. Poor woman needs a break, but I'm at loss how to break her out.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read Zoo City, but Lauren Beukes also did Moxyland, which was this amazing, cyberpunk standalone with plenty of POC/LGBT characters. I dunno if I'd call it urban fantasy though--it's more tech-based.

Also, another standalone, and the author is white, but Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys focuses on a family descended from the Maori trickster god, Anansi. That was awesome. One of favorites of his, right up there with Neverwhere.

Cairo Amani

Cairo
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I know it's nitpicky, but please remember POC includes more than black people. UF is in desperate need of women of color saving the day and getting the hot guy or girl. That said, I believe there's a series with a Latina protag but can't remember if it's UF or PNR. I think it was more light and humorous than dark and angsty. I know of a lesbian UF series but the protag isn't a WOC. I think it involves a magic sword. Helpful. I know. ;)

It's nitpicky but its GOOD nitpicky. I have a minor in ethnic studies--I know what POC means. I personally seek out black women, which is why I looked at L.A Banks. Thank you for your suggestions, though, I AM going to look through them... and you know...if you wanna swap chapters of your book i am always looking for UF beta buddies who are writing ppl of color :)

I haven't read Zoo City, but Lauren Beukes also did Moxyland, which was this amazing, cyberpunk standalone with plenty of POC/LGBT characters. I dunno if I'd call it urban fantasy though--it's more tech-based.

Also, another standalone, and the author is white, but Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys focuses on a family descended from the Maori trickster god, Anansi. That was awesome. One of favorites of his, right up there with Neverwhere.

I'm on American Gods right now and then Neverwhere but Anasi boys can be next after!

I have a black nurse/counselor as a secondary MC in my thriller/fantasy, Fusion. Not out yet--just agreeing about what your saying.

Kudos!! :)

Thank you guys!

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Also, another standalone, and the author is white, but Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys focuses on a family descended from the Maori trickster god, Anansi.

Wasn't Anansi an African trickster god? I can't place him as being part of Maori belief systems...

Add another vote for the Rivers of London series. I think they're great.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Wasn't Anansi an African trickster god? I can't place him as being part of Maori belief systems...

Yes, he's West African... though also imported into US and Caribbean lore as well (mostly due to the importation of slaves being from West African)

Often paired with Br'er Rabbit. You can also read about him in Virginia Hamilton's African American Folktales book titled, "If People Could Fly." (A favorite of mine when I was young.)

@OP the list I posted has other ethnicities besides African American. Though if you mean black woman, shouldn't you specify that in the subject?

I ran into this kind of thought in my school system too--that if you covered black then you covered all of racism and racism was only black v. white. (Albeit mostly by white teachers...) ^^;; So it would be nice to have it not perpetuated.

Cairo Amani

Cairo
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, he's West African... though also imported into US and Caribbean lore as well (mostly due to the importation of slaves being from West African)

Often paired with Br'er Rabbit. You can also read about him in Virginia Hamilton's African American Folktales book titled, "If People Could Fly." (A favorite of mine when I was young.)

@OP the list I posted has other ethnicities besides African American. Though if you mean black woman, shouldn't you specify that in the subject?

I ran into this kind of thought in my school system too--that if you covered black then you covered all of racism and racism was only black v. white. (Albeit mostly by white teachers...) ^^;; So it would be nice to have it not perpetuated.

Sorry, let me clarify:

I WANT suggestions for all POC characters. Hence the title,

The content of the post was musing on the subject in one direction. I would love more AA Female MCs. It doesn't dispute the fact that I want more POC in general, though. least, I didn't mean for it to.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Sorry, let me clarify:

I WANT suggestions for all POC characters. Hence the title,

The content of the post was musing on the subject in one direction. I would love more AA Female MCs. It doesn't dispute the fact that I want more POC in general, though. least, I didn't mean for it to.
^^;; Sorry if it came out strong. Just wanted the clarification.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score

Right you are--sorry about that. I went back through some linkage to figure out where I got that from, and it was a videogame. They don't always do their research... BUT! I still highly recommend Anansi Boys regardless.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
My Tales of the Sazi UF series with Tor features several POC characters. Most notably, Bobby Mbutu from Mozambique, a shapeshifting python. He is the hero of book 2, Moon's Web, where he marries a lovely lady named Asri Kho from Indonesia who is a Komodo dragon in animal form. :D

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Thank you! :D I like strong POC characters in my books. A few you might enjoy from the same series:

Will Kerchee -- native american bald eagle shifter. (A cute backstory on him is that he was the model for the eagle on the back of the quarter. He was the only one who would stand still long enough for the engraver. :ROFL: ) Moon's Fury

Ahmad al-Narmer, a king cobra shifter who was a former prince of Babylon (my alpha characters live a long, long time!) He disowned his evil father, Sargon of Akkad, and chose his own last name, so he doesn't follow Middle Eastern naming conventions. He's leader of the snakes, so he's in just about every book.

Intique, son of Great White Wolf, a wolf shifter who was part of the Anasazi native american tribe (hence "Sazi"). Has a dual identity as Lucas Santiago, alpha of the Boulder, Colorado timber wolf pack. Leader of the wolves, and head of the law enforcement branch, Wolven, so again, in just about every book.

Cara Salinas, MA alpha of a pack of Tejano red wolf shifters, some of whom fought for Texas' independence during the Mexican war.

John and Asylin Williams and their family of AA owl shifters who are secondary characters in my new spin-off series (WIPs right now), The Sazi of Luna Lake, They're a foster family of orphans of a massacre. So far the family is three kids of their own, two Russian boys (one is the hero of the book) and several other nationalities of various shifting abilities.

Lots and LOTS of POC characters. Love them to pieces!

Oh, and Rachel Washington, also an AA owl shifter, will be the heroine of book 3 of the new series, Denied. I haven't decided who she winds up with. But I'm open to suggestions of a strong POC hero. :)

Last edited:

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hey! Thank you! :)

Your series sounds really interesting! we need to talk AND convene haha.
I actually really wasn't feeling L.A bank's work. I thought it was badly written for a number of reasons. I'm also not interested in romance and she had alot of that. But I'm willing to believe that her writing got better toward the end.
\

Anytime!

Kenya Wright has the Habitat series with a black female protag and a diverse secondary cast. Haven't read it yet so can't speak to the amount of criminals. First book is called "Fire Baptized."

Alicia Brewster has a novella that might turn into a series featuring a fallen angel who's a woman of color. I'm not sure if she's black. The novella is called "Don't Call Me Angel".

Which reminds me to get cracking on my Cuban Chinese heroine. I sent her to hell. Literally. Poor woman needs a break, but I'm at loss how to break her out.

Thanks for the suggestion. As for the Latina protag, I got you! I have a Latina fallen angel in another series. My UF series also has an Asian lady who is a fairy with an attitude.

Thank you! :D I like strong POC characters in my books. A few you might enjoy from the same series:

Will Kerchee -- native american bald eagle shifter. (A cute backstory on him is that he was the model for the eagle on the back of the quarter. He was the only one who would stand still long enough for the engraver. :ROFL: ) Moon's Fury

Ahmad al-Narmer, a king cobra shifter who was a former prince of Babylon (my alpha characters live a long, long time!) He disowned his evil father, Sargon of Akkad, and chose his own last name, so he doesn't follow Middle Eastern naming conventions. He's leader of the snakes, so he's in just about every book.

Intique, son of Great White Wolf, a wolf shifter who was part of the Anasazi native american tribe (hence "Sazi"). Has a dual identity as Lucas Santiago, alpha of the Boulder, Colorado timber wolf pack. Leader of the wolves, and head of the law enforcement branch, Wolven, so again, in just about every book.

Cara Salinas, MA alpha of a pack of Tejano red wolf shifters, some of whom fought for Texas' independence during the Mexican war.

John and Asylin Williams and their family of AA owl shifters who are secondary characters in my new spin-off series (WIPs right now), The Sazi of Luna Lake, They're a foster family of orphans of a massacre. So far the family is three kids of their own, two Russian boys (one is the hero of the book) and several other nationalities of various shifting abilities.

Lots and LOTS of POC characters. Love them to pieces!

Oh, and Rachel Washington, also an AA owl shifter, will be the heroine of book 3 of the new series, Denied. I haven't decided who she winds up with. But I'm open to suggestions of a strong POC hero. :)

Cat,I like you. I really do!

Corinne Duyvis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
That said, I believe there's a series with a Latina protag but can't remember if it's UF or PNR. I think it was more light and humorous than dark and angsty.

Possibly NORSE CODE by Greg van Eekhout? Though I don't think that ever got a sequel.

I know of a lesbian UF series but the protag isn't a WOC. I think it involves a magic sword. Helpful. I know. ;)

First book is BLACK BLADE BLUES, by J.A. Pitt. :)

Cairo Amani

Cairo
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly NORSE CODE by Greg van Eekhout? Though I don't think that ever got a sequel.

I've heard of J.A Pitt's book but I couldn't quite get into the writing. I'll admit I don't read UF often because of the writing lol.

I'm okay with books that don't have sequels!

Corinne Duyvis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Sorry, his name is J.A. Pitts--I typo'd. I read it and while I appreciated a lot of aspects, it didn't quite gel for me.

Ben Aaronovitch's series just got optioned for TV! Crossing fingers it a) goes ahead and b) without whitewashing.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
My Tales of the Sazi UF series with Tor features several POC characters. Most notably, Bobby Mbutu from Mozambique, a shapeshifting python. He is the hero of book 2, Moon's Web, where he marries a lovely lady named Asri Kho from Indonesia who is a Komodo dragon in animal form. :D

Aaaand my TBR list just got longer!

Sorry, his name is J.A. Pitts--I typo'd. I read it and while I appreciated a lot of aspects, it didn't quite gel for me.

Ben Aaronovitch's series just got optioned for TV! Crossing fingers it a) goes ahead and b) without whitewashing.

I have book two of Pitts series running around somewhere, but haven't read it because I have to read series in order. So sad when something has all the right bits but still doesn't come out right. Like a wilted souffle.

Let's hope the UK handles Aaronovitch's series. US TV would probably turn it into some whitewashed cross between Vampire Diaries and Green Arrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.