• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publishing Svcs] Powerful Films & Books

fiddlerzvi

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about POWERFUL BOOKS AND FILMS. They've offered me a contract that looks dicey. (A few other things about them are dicey as well.)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Vanity publisher. First clue? The 'Choose Package' button on the home page. Second clue? The prices for the packages: $7,499 for the Elite Book Publishing package and so on.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
The company is based in Malta.

Due to time constraints, we cannot help you directly with issues. We do not charge fees of any kind for submissions and we rely on our writers to send us work which is professionally finished and ready for publication.
http://www.powerfulfilmsandbooks.com/submission-guidelines

So there's no editing unless you take advantage of the company's Proofreading, Editing and Rewriting services, for which no prices are given.

The only book featured on the website is Scott W Johnstone's Million Dollar Broker, but a quick visit to Amazon turned up a selection including
My Big Bubble Butt: Exercise, surgery, diet, supplements & miracle secrets to enhance your buttocks and make them sizzle! by Angela Lighthouse, Facebook Dating - Turbocharge your love life online with social media by Nicholas Jackman and Lady Luck Lotto by Henri Sant-Cassia, who also edited the other books.

Mr Sant-Cassia's Smashwords page describes him as the publisher of these and other books:
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/powerfulenglish

He's also a script editor, writer and producer:
https://shootingpeople.org/cards/HenriSantCassia?profile_name=HenriSantCassia

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
For some reason I'm very amused by this website. I've never seen one of these that uses quite so many words to puff quite so many services. Ha! And I've just seen they're pitching for angel investors as well. And they're running a referral scheme, where if you manage to persuade a friend to fork over thousands of dollars to these guys, you'll get a hundred bucks. They'll proofread your screenplay overnight for $129! They slice, they dice, they Martinize!

What I can't find in this maze of twisty passages, all alike, is any mention of who their multi-talented team of publishing and Hollywood ninjas are and what their credentials might be. On their screenwriting 'consultants'

Our consultants live and work in Hollywood every day. We’ve worked on the development of projects such as Twilight and Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief [sic-Torgo], and read for such producers, representatives, and talent as MTV, Paramount, Sony, Disney, Relativity, Mosaic, Summit Entertainment, Atlas Entertainment, Prospect Park, Blake Snyder Productions, Untitled Entertainment, ICM, Abrams Artists, The Gersh Agency, William Morris, Gold Circle, Nicole Kidman, Madonna, Hilary Swank, Eddie Izzard, Ray Liotta, Ashton Kutcher, Justin Long, Ice Cube, and many more!

Cor!

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
And they're running a referral scheme, where if you manage to persuade a friend to fork over thousands of dollars to these guys, you'll get a hundred bucks.

Sounds totally legit!

Perhaps if I enhance my buttocks (using my winnings from Mr Sant-Cassia's Lotto-winning tips to pay for surgery) I'll get a part in one of his films, or at least turbocharge my love life with social media.

:e2moon:

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Perhaps if I enhance my buttocks (using my winnings from Mr Sant-Cassia's Lotto-winning tips to pay for surgery) I'll get a part in one of his films, or at least turbocharge my love life on social media...

Oddly, IMDB has never heard of Mr Sant-Cassia. I guess he's one of those Hollywood eminences grises; sitting motionless, like a spider in the centre of its web, but that web has a thousand radiations, and he knows well every quiver of each of them. He does little himself. He only plans. But his agents are numerous and splendidly organised. Is there a film to be made, or buttocks to be toned, we will say, a lotto to be won, a screenplay to be analysed - the word is passed to Henri Sant-Cassia, the matter is organised and carried out. But the central power which uses the agent is never so much as suspected.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
But...you forgot to mention his fluffy white cat!

He's also undecided whether he lives in Los Angeles, London or Leamington Spa, although that's a mistake that anyone could make as they all begin with L.

And I'm still trying to work out why anyone would want to make their buttocks sizzle. It conjures up a mental image of a terrible cooking-related accident, possibly involving nudity and bacon.

Last edited:

paulcosca

The Paulest of all Coscas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulcosca.com
My favorite parts of the website:

"2) We are native English speakers"

Nothing would make me suspect a publisher wasn't full of native English speakers unless they felt the need to point out that they are.

"Our basic packages try to provide you with everything that you’ll need for the best looking product. We believe you shouldn’t have to pay extra for custom-designed front and back covers, ISBN and copyright registration, “Look-inside” features for Amazon and Barnes and Nobles."

I don't remember paying extra for the "Look-inside" portion of my book on Amazon. Guess I should read the fine print more carefully...

"If you prefer, we also offer cash only, zero royalty options. (Need to explain how this works)"

God, I wish the italics were mine, but those are placeholder comments right there on the website that no one edited. Classic.

Under things they don't do:

"Hold your files ransom. You will receive a copy of the digital files. (Doing this?)"

So...maybe they're not doing that? Someone doesn't sound convinced.

Seriously...just give me $100* bucks and I'll edit and design that book for you and get it on Createspace.

*Or an equivalent $100 worth of buffalo chicken. Boneless, please.

fiddlerzvi

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you gang. I needed some realism to bring me back to Earth. Amazing how you can fool yourself when you really want something

If anyone is interested, here's the story. I received a letter from them to the effect they had read one of my stories on Readwave and wanted to see more of my work. Hey - my writing is great enough that the story is plausible - right? (Gag.) I told them about my latest novel, and they said to go over it with a fine tooth comb and send it. A vanity publisher (or so I thought) wouldn't care how you revised it, so this was reassuring.

Finally, I sent the novel, all 110,000 words, to them. TWO DAYS LATER, they accepted it. Sigh. And I still didn't give up. They assured me that the money flow went only from them to me - no hidden fees - and sent me a contract.

Two interesting clauses in the contract: first, there is no expiration. The contract gives them the rights to the story forever. Second is this line: Bank transfer, credit-card charges, site storage, and processing charges shall be borne by the Author.

And I STILL didn't give up. But at least I had the sense to write you people. Thanks again (and maybe I should send Preditors and Editors a letter.)

Zvi

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
If anyone is interested, here's the story. I received a letter from them to the effect they had read one of my stories on Readwave and wanted to see more of my work.

Just so you know for the future, this is a red flag right here. Reputable publishers are drowning in submissions and don't troll display sites looking for victims authors.

Good for you for doing your research and dodging a bullet!

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
"If you prefer, we also offer cash only, zero royalty options. (Need to explain how this works)"

God, I wish the italics were mine, but those are placeholder comments right there on the website that no one edited. Classic.

I somehow managed to miss that little gem. Hilarious!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Reputable publishers are drowning in submissions and don't troll display sites looking for victims authors.

It is possible (very very very very rare but possible) that an editor from a legitimate press will see something that you've written somewhere and get in contact to ask if you have, by chance, written a novel.

In that case you need to verify that the person is in fact an editor at Random House, rather than someone from a random house.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Just to add to the confusion, I found this in the Literary Agents section of WritersCafe.org:

Gillian Rowley - Powerful Films and Books

I am a literary agent for a boutique publishing house. We seek uprising, creative talent. Our editorial and copy writing staff are among the top-rated in the industry. We aim to nurture the very best talents.
http://www.writerscafe.org/agents/Gillian-Rowley-Powerful-Films-and-Books/210/

Ms Rowley is based in Oregon, and according to her page PFaB accepts submissions in 57 genres including Acrostic, Chofu, Experimental, Metafiction and Postmodern.

On her Elance page she describes herself as a publisher and account manager at Powerful English:
https://www.elance.com/s/gillianrowley/

Last edited:

AphraB

A faithful friend & a good library
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ms Rowley is based in Oregon, and according to her page PFaB accepts submissions in 57 genres including Acrostic, Chofu . . .

Because NOW is the time to get in on the ground floor of the hot new Chofu genre! But Acrostic? Acrostic is sooooo five minutes ago.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I googled 'chofu' and I'm still no wiser. A Japanese city? A type of heater? I'm stumped.

I'm also wondering if something in the water supply is causing people to think that literary agents are employed by publishers (remember the Lionsong meltdown?)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Our editorial and copy writing staff are among the top-rated in the industry.
The very worst editorial and copy writing staff in the industry is still among the top-rated in the industry when you look at the set of all editorial and copy writing staffs.

Consider what these simple lines of verse
Have at their core, thou seeker after truth:
One day will dawn without us. We are worse
Forgotten, dead. O hear the sooth!
Uncovered is the tragedy of youth.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Thank you, Julie, for bringing this thread back up. I had previously missed this very funny takedown. With acrostic poetry!
-Barbara

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site is gone. Tw/FB activity ceased in July '12, and last books were published in Oct '12, under the parent name, Vittoriosa.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I had many a good chortle over this one. At least the company has left a legacy - we can all enjoy sizzling buttocks.

alyssabcole

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I did a search to see what you guys had to say on this group! I'm looking at internships right now, and their internship was virtual, paid, and stated that they would help me improve my own writing! I grinned--and then I paused, when I saw that the services provided to me would be what would cost $15k for someone who wasn't an employee. Sad to see that my gut was right and that they really were a vanity publisher. Have to wonder why the internship ad is still up when they've apparently disappeared off the planet, though.