Is this my first story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamFiction

Registered
Reaction score
Last semester at my community college, I submitted a short story to the school's arts magazine. I received a copy of the magazine last week and I immediately read my story in it. I was surprised to see typos in the text that were not in my submission copy. Also - and this burns my ass the most - several of the sentences (including the first one!) had been edited by removing or switching words around, affecting the flow of how the story reads, but still retaining the premise of the work.

What I want to know - and I think I have an idea of the answer - is should I consider this my first published story? Can I even list this as a writing credit when querying agents?

Has anyone here on this forum experienced anything like this?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
It is your first published story, even if they mangled it. Use it as a credit only if the magazine has sufficient prestige that the agent will have heard of it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You really don't have to consider it anything. It's your story, and you're allowed to claim it, or to disown it, and never mention it ever again, to anyone. You can list it as a credit, or not list it as a credit.

Rufus Leeking

Registered
Reaction score
Last semester at my community college, I submitted a short story to the school's arts magazine. I received a copy of the magazine last week and I immediately read my story in it. I was surprised to see typos in the text that were not in my submission copy. Also - and this burns my ass the most - several of the sentences (including the first one!) had been edited by removing or switching words around, affecting the flow of how the story reads, but still retaining the premise of the work.

What I want to know - and I think I have an idea of the answer - is should I consider this my first published story? Can I even list this as a writing credit when querying agents?

Has anyone here on this forum experienced anything like this?
it is your story. editors often edit, although if they make any significant changes they have asked me before publishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.