• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Grammarly

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I got the $15 dollar one. It came to my email addy that's not public, but IS the one I use when stores offer newsletters or coupons. So I'm thinking they bought a list.

I found mine particularly amusing because I don't blog. Or, at least I haven't updated it for a few years!

Talk about aiming high... :ROFL:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Grammarly is persistent.

They spammed my friend again. She unsubscribed (again) and this time sent a complaint about spam to the server.

She also sent a bit of a blistering reply to that clown called "Carpet." Apparently she's more than willing to blog about them. For free.

I'm getting popcorn, this could get bloody.
icon10.gif

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Rather than a link to Writer's Digest (the Brides magazine of the literary world--subscribing to it once is okay; renewing your subscription is problematical), is there perhaps a link to Facebook?

I don't do Facebook.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Rather than a link to Writer's Digest (the Brides magazine of the literary world--subscribing to it once is okay; renewing your subscription is problematical), is there perhaps a link to Facebook?

I don't do Facebook.
Regrettably, I do Facebook. But I'm trying to cut down.

ETA: And I'm connected to (Facebook-friends with) many others on AW, and surely at least one who got this spam.

For Facebook, email is for when you first signup as part of knowing who you are, just like most other things, and to send you Important Notices such as when there's a new feline pic posted on your wall.

But I don't think there's any ("legitimate" and non-super-hacky-cracky) way for someone to get your email from Facebook. Everything on Facebook leads straight back to Facebook.

But I don't have anything published (well, there were those letters in Dr. Dobbs, Analog and the AA Grapevine many years ago), and I haven't received one of these email spams.

Last edited:

whirlaway

Registered
Reaction score
I just got my second email from Grammarly.

I don't do Facebook either. The email Grammarly used to contact me is not the one I query agents from. It's the one on my website (which, yes, indicates that I'm a writer) and only very rarely do I ever get spam there.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Got my offer for a $15 Amazon gift card and cup of coffee four days ago. I don't use Facebook or WD. But it's my public authorial address, so there are lots of places it could have been harvested from.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
As God is my witness, someday I'll get writerly spam! *shakes tiny, ineffectual fist at the sky*

I wonder who they bought their spam list from? I'm on FB infrequently, and on a number of mailing lists (magic, crypto, Kryptos, etc.), but no writer-related spam has been forthcoming. *pouts, but in a mildly attractive sort of way*