• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Grammarly

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
A friend of mine (pro writer and editor) got a semi-spam email from grammarly.com.

They offered a 15.00 Amazon gift voucher if she would mention their brand on her blog. (One presumes they would want it mentioned in a favorable way.)

She did a google search for the name + complaints and declined.

She disliked that they addressed her by her first name--she's touchy about getting formal introductions first--the bribery aspect, as well as the fact they didn't bother to look up her name on Wikipedia. She's pretty well known in some genres.

She's not at all tempted to try them out. The google search indicated it would be a bad idea.

I thought it might be a good idea to open a thread on them in case others had gotten similar spam.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I just got my Grammarly invite today, also for $15. Some authors have gotten them for up to $100. And, of course, that offer for a cup of coffee, if ever in San Fransisco.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Domain registration contains little info. The agent on their business license is a Yuriy Timen whose LinkedIn page lists him as GdotCom's Director of Online Marketing.

The LinkedIn page also states, "Grammarly is a growing consumer Internet SaaS company, creating software and services that perfect written English." An "SaaS" is a "software as a service" company; in other words, they rent access to a particular piece of software on a subscription basis. It sounds like expensive subscription access to a (possibly) glorified grammar-checker.

His profile also claims that Grammarly is "trusted by 3,000,000+ including...Fortune 100 companies." Fortune 100 companies loooooove spamvertised services. Love 'em.

ETA: I notice their website makes no mention of Fortune 100 companies and restrain themselves to, "...which are also licensed by more than 100 leading universities and corporations."

ETA #2: An interesting article in The Economist here - http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2012/08/grammar-software I especially liked:

So what happened with Ben Yagoda's text, which Grammarly had flagged for 10 nonexistent errors? Mr Hoover says that Grammarly "isn't intended for professional writers to achieve the next level of language mastery, or to judge artistic prose." Grammarly is "meant to proofread mainstream text like student papers, cover letters and proposals."

(bolding added)

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've had two from them. $25 alleging I was nominated as a favourite blogging author. And a second one of $15 on the basis that I'm self-published. I assume they're sending them to everyone they can, as they're worded in that generic spam way.

FluffBunny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to ask Mr. Temen, their Director of Online Marketing, why the company is spamming authors, a group their service "isn't intended for" per the company CEO.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine (pro writer and editor) got a semi-spam email from grammarly.com.
She's not at all tempted to try them out. The google search fact that they send spam indicated it would be a bad idea.
Yes, I agree...
I'd like to ask Mr. Temen, their Director of Online Marketing, why the company is spamming.
Yeah, that.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Aw shucks, she thought that guy really wanted to have coffee with her. She bought a new ballgown and everything.

What a pack of jerkoffs.

And....
35c968.jpg

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The coffee line at the end was funny. Trying to give the impression that this was a personalized email sent just to me. Points for effort.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
10. Print "Computer programs can't parse natural language well enough to proof or copyedit! ",
20. Goto 10

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A few of my writer-friends have reported on Facebook that they've received spammy messages from Grammarly too. I didn't get one, though. I am far too SCARY for them to approach me. ROAR!

FluffBunny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alas! I am small and meek and therefore escaped the spammers' notice. Since James and Old Hack both missed out and are both well-known, I can only assume that the Modly Powers invested by AW protect them, as is meet and just.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I got the $50 offer a few days ago. Saw there was a teeny, tiny unsubscribe button on the bottom, and that they use MailChimp, so I reported them for unsolicited spam and unsubbed.

Then I got another one yesterday offering $15 using a different mail service. Also reported them for spam.

And sent a reply that I would be blogging about their spam and attempts at bribery if they didn't take me off their mailing list.

Grumpy? Me? Perish the thought. :D

FluffBunny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got the $50 offer a few days ago. Saw there was a teeny, tiny unsubscribe button on the bottom, and that they use MailChimp, so I reported them for unsolicited spam and unsubbed.

Then I got another one yesterday offering $15 using a different mail service. Also reported them for spam.

And sent a reply that I would be blogging about their spam and attempts at bribery if they didn't take me off their mailing list.

Grumpy? Me? Perish the thought. :D

Wow! $50 a few days ago, now down to $15 yesterday? Wait another day or so and it'll be free! Or maybe they'll throw in some Ginzu knives or something. ;) *waits to see Grammarly being hawked by some fast-talking guy wearing a headset mic at 2am on public access cable next*

PRDavid

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Wow! $50 a few days ago, now down to $15 yesterday? Wait another day or so and it'll be free! Or maybe they'll throw in some Ginzu knives or something. ;) *waits to see Grammarly being hawked by some fast-talking guy wearing a headset mic at 2am on public access cable next*

And with either an Aussie or British accent as well....

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
10. Print "Computer programs can't yet parse natural language well enough to proof or copyedit! ",
20. Goto 10
And when they do, it's a sure thing that good ones will NOT be promoted by spam.

When I was actively fighting email spam (back in the olden.dayz), it was becoming effective to report the the spamvertized website to its host, and even to its domain registrar. It's more of a bother to get a new hosting account than to get a new email blasting service.

The Grammarly.com domain is registered at Godaddy, and the site appears to be hosted by Amazon.

I'm just sayin'...

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I just got my Grammarly email today. Apparently they got my name through one of my friends on FB who has liked their page.

No money for me. Just an offer for a free premium account.

I feel gypped.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Weeelll. I just got their spam.

They offered me a "free premium review account," which I take to mean a trail of their premium service.

I'll pass, thanks.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com

I know, right? I'm so insulted. They can't even bother to keep track of how much they bribed people for before so they can keep their repeat attempts consistent.

In other news, I now have this mental image of some skeezy guy with super slicked back hair, a threadbare suit and a shark's grin going, "Blog about our crap and we'll throw in scamming your writer friends for 200 easy payments of $39.95!" or something.