quick question on acceptances

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Do acceptances come by phone or email? I've heard of some coming by phone. Do most of them come that way? Are all emails going to be rejections? I thought some of you would know more about this than me. Thanks.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only communicated with any magazine via email. Most of the contracts have been e-signatures as well. The only time I've spoken with an editor over the phone was during a publicity event where we had a conference call where the authors for that issue read their stories aloud.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Mine were all email, though I don't give out my phone number in submissions. If you don't want to be phoned, giving a number isn't compulsory.

Last edited:

Asmodeus

It's official... Reality is wrong.
Registered
Reaction score
I would guess that unless you have a working relationship with the editor (i.e. he's buying your 5th book or more) would you receiving a phone-call would be quite weird

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The majority of mine come by e-mail, but I've received acceptances by phone, by e-mail, and by snail mail. It depends on the magazine on the editor, and often on whether you've sold to that editor before.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I heard that Glimmer Train calls. And does anyone know about places you have to mail a hard copy to? I thought they might call.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My hard copy sales were all mailed acceptances. No phone calls ever, which is fine with me.

Maryn, old school

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Contests often call (my Writers of the Future acceptance came that way), but most short fiction publishers/editors will contact you by e-mail (and in some rare cases, snail mail).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
ac-cep-tance n. A mythical word alleged to describe an occurrence unknown to this lexicographer. According to legend, it has been known to provoke euphoria in victims who have experienced it, but corroboration is lacking. See also hallucination, delusion.

-- Blacbird's Unabridged Dictionary, 2013 ed.

caw

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I heard that Glimmer Train calls. And does anyone know about places you have to mail a hard copy to? I thought they might call.

I've sold just about a hundred stories to mags where I had to send a hard copy. Nothing seems to change. I still get acceptances by e-mail, by snail mail, and, if I've sold to the editor before, sometimes by phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.