Answer needed ASAP; stab wound question

theiatroquestrian

Registered
Reaction score
Two people are in close contact and one takes a knife from her side with intent to stab the other. The other person catches her wrist, and turns the knife on her instead.

His goal is to kill her, but she moves in some way during the attack that causes her injuries to be severe, but not likely to be life-threatening.

Question: The knife is abdomen-level; if he stabs her, say 2-4 times in that region, what could he do that fits the "severe but probably not life-threatening" description.

How long can she last on her own, say if she calls someone for help? WHat kind of self-first aid can she try?

And what would the actual situation entail? Shock, fainting, etc? Would breathing be affected if, say, the diaphragm was grazed?

I'm writing this for a class thing to be handed in by midnight tonight, but preferably much earlier, so I'd be forever indemted for a quick yet thorough answer.

Thank you!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an MD, or paramedic, but have extensive training in first-aid and good general knowledge.

Question: The knife is abdomen-level; if he stabs her, say 2-4 times in that region, what could he do that fits the "severe but probably not life-threatening" description.

Stabbing her 2-4 times in the abdomen would do the trick. So long as he misses major blood vessels it should fit your requirements. Punctured intestines, or any organ down there really will require medical attention, but she'll probably live so long as she gets to a hospital in the next 15 minutes to half hour.

How long can she last on her own, say if she calls someone for help? WHat kind of self-first aid can she try?

First aid is pretty much useless on internal bleeding. She needs surgery. She'll be in a lot of pain, but can probably move on her own, maybe even drive a car. Depending on the injuries she might last a day, but more likely only a few hours without surgery.

And what would the actual situation entail? Shock, fainting, etc? Would breathing be affected if, say, the diaphragm was grazed?

Yeah, all of that is possible.

I'm writing this for a class thing to be handed in by midnight tonight, but preferably much earlier, so I'd be forever indemted for a quick yet thorough answer.

Thank you!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on a variety of factors. Is there internal bleeding, or is it all external (no penetration of the peritoneum)? If it's a short knife or an athletic woman or just lucky then there's no internal damage and she might look like she's dying but could heal with direct pressure and pressure bandaging. Some people will pass out and the lowered blood pressure slows the bleeding just enough that the wounds can clot. A lot of injuries look worse than they are and sometimes the ones that don't look severe could be life threatening.

What do you mean by abdomen level? That can mean a lot of things to many different people.

What do you want to transpire?

All of life lies between the benign and the lethal. As long as you don't get too specific with the details of the injuries almost anything is plausible.