Choosing an e-publisher, for real

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Shelleyo, I am applauding you. That's a great post, and you've nailed several of my concerns and experiences. It's so sad for the writers concerned, and it's what I hope BR&BC helps protect against.

I can't say I've bought any books of the kind you're describing shelley other than one self published free book I picked up on ARE. I guess again these are maybe the new epresses started by sharks that have sprung up because they can bang something up on kindle for someone and take a percentage without doing anything. Mostly I buy from long established epubs I know have a name. I do buy based on publisher, but I know I'm in the minority of buyers there.

I've seen loads of that sort of book, I'm sad to say. And amateur self-publishers aren't the only ones putting them out.

You're right that there are a lot of incompetent e-presses out there, but they're not all started by sharks. Plenty are started by people with really good intentions, but without the skills or expertise required to do a good job. There are also some incompetent/sharky print publishers, but they tend to fail quicker because it's more difficult to sell dodgy print editions.

Whatever the reasons for poor publishing, though, writers and readers get screwed. And that's sad.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I'd just like to add, on a totally duh Capetian Obvious note, that if a publisher asks YOU for money you really shouldn't publish with them. There are/were a few contracts floating around by some of the Big 6(4?3?) and a few smaller pubs where they deducted from your royalties to pay for promo. The #1 rule for publishing- The money should be coming to you, not going from you.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'd just like to add, on a totally duh Capetian Obvious note, that if a publisher asks YOU for money you really shouldn't publish with them. There are/were a few contracts floating around by some of the Big 6(4?3?) and a few smaller pubs where they deducted from your royalties to pay for promo. The #1 rule for publishing- The money should be coming to you, not going from you.
The number of people who don't know this seems to be extraordinarily large right now. I think it is because the scam vanity industry has become so massive. Everyone needs to read this. http://www.thepassivevoice.com/05/2013/the-author-exploitation-business/

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Shelleyo, I am applauding you. That's a great post, and you've nailed several of my concerns and experiences. It's so sad for the writers concerned, and it's what I hope BR&BC helps protect against.

Thanks!

You're right (to gingerwoman) that there are a lot of incompetent e-presses out there, but they're not all started by sharks. Plenty are started by people with really good intentions, but without the skills or expertise required to do a good job.

I think there are more bad e-presses started by people who love books than there are sharks, frankly. It's all enthusiasm and passion but without the skill, as you've said. Enthusiasm is fantastic. Unfortunately, the most enthusiastic person without the proper skills who doesn't hire experienced designers, editors and marketers to provide those skills has absolutely nothing to offer a writer.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The number of people who don't know this seems to be extraordinarily large right now. I think it is because the scam vanity industry has become so massive. Everyone needs to read this. http://www.thepassivevoice.com/05/2013/the-author-exploitation-business/

It's also because for every good solid online discussion, comment, blog post or article you find about publishing, there are several which mislead writers into thinking that it's the norm to pay for publication, or that new writers can't get published, and so on and so forth. I've seen a lot of it on the websites of the nasty scam vanity industry which you refer to; but I've seen just as much, to be honest, on various self-publishing evangelist sites, and it's not helpful.

You're welcome.

I think there are more bad e-presses started by people who love books than there are sharks, frankly. It's all enthusiasm and passion but without the skill, as you've said. Enthusiasm is fantastic. Unfortunately, the most enthusiastic person without the proper skills who doesn't hire experienced designers, editors and marketers to provide those skills has absolutely nothing to offer a writer.

All you have to do is browse a little bit in our BR&BC room.
It's sad for all involved: the publishers, who usually lose money and heart; and the writers whose work they publish, who often end up losing the rights to their works.

I'm getting all maudlin now. I'll stop it.

Kingson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Do their book excerpts show a lack of basic proofreading....?"

HUGE warning flag. My book was picked up by The Fiction Works. Excited to see it for sale and then I started reading it. OMG! Holy sh*t! LOADED with typos. Like the editor was drunk, stoned, or both. Luckily, they let me out of the contract.....