• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Reuts Publications

Lakini

Registered
Reaction score
She wasn't pressuring me to resubmit, only attempting to figure out my reason for withdrawing. She encouraged me in my hunt for an agent. I appreciated the communication, personally, so I figured I'd share my story here. I did tell her that I thought the publisher would benefit from posting an update in this thread since she had reasonable responses to many of the complaints listed throughout it.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm glad she was reasonable, Lakini. That helps so much, when narrowing down publishers! However: that long delay is something I'm only going to tolerate from really big genre imprints (Tor or DAW, for example), where the potential payoff is very large. Small press publishers not answering about requested fulls for one - two years is ridiculous, and may show they're not that organized.

UnbearableLight

Registered
Reaction score
I also received a form rejection just a couple days ago for a submission solicited during a twitter pitch contest in June 2015. The form rejection was a little confusing at first, since it mentioned that they understood my manuscript might no longer be available. That kind of statement sounds more like a preamble to a request.

Anyway, yeah, form, no feedback at all. At this point it might have been better just as a no/no. Without feedback, I felt like there was no point in them responding to me with so much lag.

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
At this point, I wonder if they aren't responding 'no' en masse just to clear their backlog and start again. One wonders what exactly they were doing all this time if it wasn't reading submissions, giving feedback, and actually publishing books.

Killjoy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry for bumping a kind of older thread. Ex-reuts author.

I just wanted to say quickly that the wait times are not exclusive to perspective authors, just for a heads up for anyone that might be interested in them. My release date was originally tentatively announced for the year after I signed, but latest estimate ended up being over 2 years after contract sign date. There wasn't much guarantee that the date would have been met either. It was kind of up in the air. This was also after experiencing well over a year waiting in their submission queue.

So, if that's cool by you then by all means work with them. They are genuine people, that much I can say, they just want the best for themselves and their authors. But that time frame doesn't work for some of us :/