zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Another good thing that I'm seeing is the number of terrific men I know who are just as appalled and offended, and are doing whatever they can to support and educate, and also let women know we're not alone in our objections to this sort of crap.

Yeah. In a lot of ways this has only reinforced my impression that the vast majority of people in my circles are decent, thoughtful, good people, and that the very few who aren't are just amazingly persistent at pissing on everyone else's happy cake.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Mary Robinette Kowal just posted a reaction on her blog as well.

I have to say, as someone who wrote "make enough sales to qualify for SFWA membership" in big fat letters on my list of goals for the year, it's disheartening to hear about stuff like this. But at least the greater reaction within the community is an encouraging one. I'd like to think we don't need these facepalm moments to remind us that there's still a lot of work to be done, but when they do occur, it's always nice to see the amount of people in the SFF community willing to point at the BS and call it what it smells like, even if it came from a respected name in the industry.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I had been umming and ahhing about joining (probably would have got around to it, tbh) but now I'm even more on the fence than ever

If I don't join...the dinosaurs won

If I do...do I need that kind of shit in my life right now, or indeed ever? (And let's face it me with gob shut ain't going to happen and....)

It feels like the Kobayashi Maru! So I'm here, wobbling on the fence....

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the phrase mentioned (not here) that "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" as a reason for joining SFWA. I don't agree that joining SFWA = being part of the solution, and that not joining SFWA = being part of the problem. My perception* of their forums has, for years, been one of a troll-infested pit. Why haven't those members been banned from SFWA? Why does having a certain number of pro sales mean that you are not held to a reasonable standard of maturity and decency? AW manages to keep order with many times more members.

I know that SFWA does a LOT of good work, and that's worth supporting. But all the other shite, that has been going on for decades, has been allowed to fester by giving the trolls a platform in the place where members interact with each other, and I don't want to be a part of an organisation that does that. It's 2013. They've had years of chances to fix it. There is no excuse.

My personal alternative is to support places like AW in whatever way I can, and try to help writers here. I'm not suggesting at all that this is the same as all the good that SFWA does for writers; only that it's within my current means, and I think does the most concrete good that I'm able to do.

I'm sorry for the rant, and I'm talking from a position of relative ignorance of SFWA. I admit this is an emotional post that could be picked apart and my assumptions shown to be wrong. I'd like to be wrong.

*Edited to add: Please see this post by MaryRobinette. I was ignorant of the fact that the official SFWA forums have been moderated for the past 4 years. My perception of them was based on the old forums on SFF.net, and is outdated.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I've seen the phrase mentioned (not here) that "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" as a reason for joining SFWA.

No, dinosaurs allowed to run amok is the problem. As you say, trolls are everywhere, but they haven't been slapped down there (as far as I can determine) so they're in troll heaven. Why expose myself to that? Why raise my blood pressure to dangerous levels? Like you, I don't know that I want to be a part of an organisation that allows it.* And if I join -- well, will I just be trolled at, or can I hammer the trolls?

And I agree with your post/rant (except I might still join...argh!)

*an author on twitter suggested it might be a good 'F-You!' to the dinosaurs. But surely my best F-you is to keep on writing SFF and not giving them any oxygen to piss me off.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I've seen the phrase mentioned (not here) that "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" as a reason for joining SFWA. I don't agree that joining SFWA = being part of the solution, and that not joining SFWA = being part of the problem. My perception of their forums has, for years, been one of a troll-infested pit. Why haven't those members been banned from SFWA? Why does having a certain number of pro sales mean that you are not held to a reasonable standard of maturity and decency? AW manages to keep order with many times more members.

I know that SFWA does a LOT of good work, and that's worth supporting. But all the other shite, that has been going on for decades, has been allowed to fester by giving the trolls a platform in the place where members interact with each other, and I don't want to be a part of an organisation that does that. It's 2013. They've had years of chances to fix it. There is no excuse.

Honestly, I think these are exactly the type of thoughts the board members who've solicited feedback about how to make SFWA more welcoming and useful should hear, if you have the spoons to email them. In fact, there've been so many insightful posts in this thread from current SFWA members, potential SFWA members, and aspiring SFWA members about what they object to and what they'd like to see that I keep hoping someone from the board checks out this thread eventually.

Re: a reasonable standard -- I linked to their sexual harassment policy upthread; they explicitly say it's supposed to cover the forums. Which means they made the rule, and set the standard, but then . . . apparently didn't enforce it? IDK.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
As one of the people on Twitter who encouraged Ann to post the hate mails, I feel sick. But it's time we stopped hiding this shit, maybe.

MaryRobinette

Registered
Reaction score
My perception of their forums has, for years, been one of a troll-infested pit. Why haven't those members been banned from SFWA? Why does having a certain number of pro sales mean that you are not held to a reasonable standard of maturity and decency?

Actually, for the past four years the official SFWA forums have been moderated because of exactly this. The old ones at SFF.net weren't. I can tell you, for certain, that members of the old guard, including past presidents have received warnings to moderate their behavior. There are guidelines that allow the moderators to put someone into a moderation queue or even remove their posting privileges.

And now I will return to my usual lurking.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Mary, thank you for posting, and that's good to know. My perception was based entirely on the old forums. I'll add to my post to link to your explanation and make that clearer.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Actually, for the past four years the official SFWA forums have been moderated because of exactly this. The old ones at SFF.net weren't. I can tell you, for certain, that members of the old guard, including past presidents have received warnings to moderate their behavior. There are guidelines that allow the moderators to put someone into a moderation queue or even remove their posting privileges.

And now I will return to my usual lurking.

That is good to know. I do wonder if the modly powers have been/are used to proper effect though (again, just from what I've seen outside the forums -- I'm not a member so I can't see them). If various members feel they aren't being heard due to other posters - which seems a crux issue here - it..well it doesn't inspire one to confidence.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I've been a member of SFWA since the mid nineties. To me it's always had two aspects, one good, the other annoying.

The Good: SFWA is kind of like a union for SFF writers. Except it isn't a union because -- reasons (seriously, some people's rants about this point have been annoying).

As a pseudo-union SFWA looks out for our interests. Writer Beware, GriefCom, the emergency medical fund etc, all the things others have pointed out, these are the reasons that belonging has been worthwhile. SFWA even used to have a health plan but that went through a lot of mess and eventually died on the vine.

SFWA also gave a place where SFF writers with an impulse to help each other could share the wealth of their experience in the field. Before sites like AW this was immensely valuable to people new to the field. The needs and difficulties of people who have been published for the first time are so different from those trying to be published that getting help during those times is a great boon.

Note: SFWA's awards occupy a nebulous space between the good and the bad.

The Bad: There are jerks in any field. SF jerks tend toward a certain grandiosity and bold sweeps of overconfident vision (yes, this is a self-referential claim). The clashes of personality can be a bit larger than life when dealing with people used to depicting entire universes that work as they wish them to. There is an operatic quality to this kind of clash.

When the SFWA forum was a printed zine these conflicts would pop up and be played out through various letters. When the zine stopped being published and everything shifted online I stopped paying attention. The signal to noise ratio could be pretty bad. I don't know how many others did the same. I also don't know whether participating would have made things better or worse.

For some years now the Bulletin has contained elements of both the good and the bad side of SFWA. To some extent I've looked for the good in the people I already knew from other venues and had reasons to trust outside of SFWA.

I've skimmed the Resnick / Malzberg dialogues, but gave up on them a few years ago as not being relevant. From what I recall, they were supposed to be about changes in SF publishing, useful histories for younger members to anchor themselves in. But the views they are expressing seem to be more views from their own youths and for themselves rather than for others.

The current debacle arises as an artifact of their time. They were both born around 1940 ('39 for Malzberg, '42 for Resnick). The SFF they grew up with was male dominated and it was possible to turn a blind eye to the many women in the field. I was born 20 year later and I grew up reading Ursula K. LeGuin and Marion Zimmer Bradley along with Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, and Robert Heinlein. The idea of female SFF writers and editors and publishers was completely normal to me. It's pretty weird to me that anyone in this day and age is complaining about women writing SFF.

I think that if SFWA wants to continue to put articles in the Bulletin giving a sense of history they need to move a little forward and leave these two behind. They seem to have stopped caring about their audience and started treating their regular feature as two sages talking about how much better things used to be while everyone around them nods their head in appreciation.

Ann Aguirre's post has me wondering and worrying about two things.

1. I've been on panels at Cons for almost twenty years. I've seen that kind of prima donna behavior of panelists trying to dominate discussions far too many times. Most of the time the panelists doing this are men, but also most of the time they don't care if they are bullying or bowling over men or women panelists. It's annoying to be on the receiving end of, no matter what.

2. But it's very likely that I'm missing at least part of it by being unobservant.

Andrhia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deusexmachinatio.com
My big takeaway from this about the SFWA is that this whole thing is actually pretty positive. I mean, given the sordid and long history of sexism in SF/F spaces (Harlan Ellison's infamous moment getting handsy with Connie Willis et al), we have to pay attention to these facts: 1) actually a lot of people are talking about this, and 2) the SFWA board is treating it as a problem to be solved.

To me, that says there's been a sea change in how the SFWA leadership and membership are perceiving issues of gender equality. To the outside observer, at least, there is a broad consensus that there really is a problem here and that it should be fixed, which is awesome so far as I'm concerned.

We'll see whether their remedies actually fix anything, but in the meanwhile... hey, every organization screws up sometimes. It's what happens next that matters, right?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Join. There are a lot of really super people in SFWA, but also, on the board.

They could use support from new members.

This. If I could, I would. Of course, I'm perverse enough to want to wade into the fray, wellies all hiked up and all.

Seriously, though. They need you. They really do. You're the face of tomorrow's SFWA. The SFWA you can be proud to be a member of can't happen without you. Mary mentioned the good SFWA does and I was impressed by those benefits I'd not heard of. It can only be better with you all there. Refuse to be shouted down. Do some shouting of your own.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Join. There are a lot of really super people in SFWA, but also, on the board.

They could use support from new members.

I may well do, in fact I probably will.

But I think I'm going to adopt a wait and see policy first. I just don't need the aggravation to my blood pressure if I can avoid it...:) Mind, looking at a couple of comments I've seen elsewhere, I don't need to be in the SFWA for that! ><

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
My big takeaway from this about the SFWA is that this whole thing is actually pretty positive. I mean, given the sordid and long history of sexism in SF/F spaces (Harlan Ellison's infamous moment getting handsy with Connie Willis et al), we have to pay attention to these facts: 1) actually a lot of people are talking about this, and 2) the SFWA board is treating it as a problem to be solved.

To me, that says there's been a sea change in how the SFWA leadership and membership are perceiving issues of gender equality. To the outside observer, at least, there is a broad consensus that there really is a problem here and that it should be fixed, which is awesome so far as I'm concerned.

We'll see whether their remedies actually fix anything, but in the meanwhile... hey, every organization screws up sometimes. It's what happens next that matters, right?

That's what I'm getting, too, which makes me pretty happy. I was feeling a bit grumbly at first because this came at the end of such a trend of more minor fails in the Bulletin, but I think now that the board is looking at it, they're *really* looking at it. Or at least, it seems that way. And I think the massive outrage can't help but be helpful to the board -- because even though they're the ones in power, it helps them to effect change when they have massive popular opinion of the membership behind them. Because now the board can go around telling everyone This Is Not Okay and nobody will have a leg to stand on if they say it's something only a few cranky feminists are worried about.

That said, I'm waiting and seeing as well.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The greatest power to overcome any belief is the turn of popular opinion against it.

So while it does not make any such belief disappear, it does make it in the great minority, so it sees little light of day. And when it does rise up, it is overwhelmed with disapproval. Over time, the younger generation chooses to go with popular opinion and that belief dies out, slow but sure.

I'm glad to see it working its way into SFWA. I hope it works swiftly, since it's a smaller group than the general populace.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
For me, I still plan on joining the SFWA someday. Maybe I can make a difference, ya know? These guys acted like goons. People called them out on it. They stomped their feet and pointed a finger to everyone but themselves. It's an "I'll take my ball and go home" mentality.

Beloved geeks, nerds, writers and artists are not immune from this sort of BS mentality. Those who choose to learn something from this disaster will probably come out relatively unscathed. Others will continue to perpetuate a nasty label (misogynist/asshole/d-bag) and go about their lives w/o a care in the world.

For every turd like this in the SFWA, I'm willing to bet there are 1000 others who find this sort of behavior shitty. My money's on the latter.

slhuang

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
For every turd like this in the SFWA, I'm willing to bet there are 1000 others who find this sort of behavior shitty. My money's on the latter.

Sadly there are only 1,800 people in SFWA. But since Malzberg's not actually a member, that still could be mathematically possible!

On the other hand, I hear there were 48 votes for that other presidential candidate, and that's a disturbing percentage of the membership . . .

ETA: Not meaning to say you shouldn't join, CrastersBabies. I have a bad habit of being facetious about taking math literally. Please don't mind me, I'll be over here in the corner.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
For me, I still plan on joining the SFWA someday. Maybe I can make a difference, ya know? These guys acted like goons. People called them out on it. They stomped their feet and pointed a finger to everyone but themselves. It's an "I'll take my ball and go home" mentality.

If this was all that had happened, I'd agree with your conclusion. But they goons DIDN'T just write their little tantrum, and they didn't post it on their own blogs. They had it published in the SFWA bulletin, an official publication of the SFWA, with a paid publisher who apparently encouraged them to engage in the discussion.

I don't know what's going on in that editor's brain, but she made a SERIOUS error in judgment here. There needs to be a significant professional consequence for her. I hate to say anyone should lose their job, but she needs to explain her thinking, she needs to show that she understands what she did wrong, and she needs to educate herself, extensively, to make sure she doesn't make a similar mistake in the future. If she can't do all of that then I don't think she's qualified for her post, and therefore... yeah, she should go.

Every organization has crackpots and assholes in it. But when those crackpots are given a platform in the organization's official publication, they become more than just members, they become part of the official face. And the person who gave them that status needs to be held responsible.

ETA: And more relevant to your post - if the SFWA DOESN'T insist on this happening, doesn't make sure that someone takes responsibility for this serious error, then they are seriously failing in their duty towards a significant number of their members. And I think THAT is what should make people wary about joining the organization. As a non-member, I'm annoyed by this nonsense. If I were a member, I'd be outraged. Why sign up for that?

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Turns out that I had re-uppped in January but for some reason my renewal got lost in the mix. That's been corrected by the staff and hopefully I'll be keeping closer track of this issue. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Sadly there are only 1,800 people in SFWA. But since Malzberg's not actually a member, that still could be mathematically possible!

Does make me wonder why he gets to write a column in the newsletter. I get that he's a famous writer, but aren't there plenty of other former Hugo and Nebula winners who are also members who could be relied upon to write columns for their newsletter?

I realize that this is my outsider perspective, as I am not a member, nor even a published SFF writer at this point, but I was under the impression that this newsletter is expressly intended to be only for the eyes of members (else it would be cheaper and easier to simply put it on line via their web site or make it into an electronic publication, rather than print-only copies mailed to dues-paying members). So why have non members writing in it if they're not even allowed to read it?

Especially when those non members express views that could give people the wrong idea about what the SFWA's official positions are when and if they do get disseminated to the public at large (which even print media now can re scanners).

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, John fell on the sword, but does that excuse the editor of the Bulletin for that fact that she did not foresee a problem, especially after two issues? Does this mean that she has no editorial powers to ask the author of those articles to make edits, or was she afraid of being accused of stifling free speech?

I don't know the answer but if I was a SFWA member, I would want the answer...