The Fall

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Anyone else watching The Fall with Gillian Anderson? It's on BBC2 on Monday nights. I think there are two left. It's absolutely superb. If you've missed it, check it out online.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Good, isn't it? I love how tense it is and how understated. Plus Anderson does the thing she did in X Files - shows an emotion without saying a word. She's got such a precise gaze that says so much.

Plus a nice moment of uncomfortable humour when the copper was late for the meeting and his mobile rang. Cringe.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I loved the 'subject-verb-object' discussion with her senior officer. Precise dissection of his discomfort.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Yeah, that was good. My wife and I were talking about it - spoilers - after the sex scene. If a man had acted as she did, there'd be no issue, but when a woman is that sexual and in charge, she's seen as a slag.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Looks like eps 1, 2 and 3 are still available on BBC iPlayer (UK viewers only, alas).

-Derek

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Good man. If anyone missed it, I highly recommend it. And it looks like there'll be a second series next year.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a fantastic show, very true to life. I find the killer's demeanor incredibly chilling.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
This was really good--like what the Killing wanted to be only wasn't. We just binged the entire five episodes. I found the ending a bit unsatisfying, but, honestly, I could quite contentedly watch Gillian Anderson do just about anything. I thought Jamie Dornan--who, apropos of nothing, was, briefly, the sheriff on Once Upon A Time--suffered from the Jon Snow disease...He looked perpetually worried that he might miss his next cue. But not a bad performance and everyone else was great.

For those who aren't in the EU, it is available on Netflix streaming.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean the American version of The Killing? Cos the original Danish came first and I don't think The Fall is much like it at all.

And please beware that the last episode hasn't been shown here yet.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I thought Jamie Dornan--who, apropos of nothing, was, briefly, the sheriff on Once Upon A Time--suffered from the Jon Snow disease...He looked perpetually worried that he might miss his next cue.

THANK YOU - just started watching, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out where I knew the actor from.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Do you mean the American version of The Killing? Cos the original Danish came first and I don't think The Fall is much like it at all.

And please beware that the last episode hasn't been shown here yet.
Yes I mean the Americanized The Killing. And I don't mean plot or story (tho similarities do exist in certain characterizations). I was referring more to the languid slow-burn feel of it and the pensive, introspective style. The cinematography and color palate are quite similar. All of which started out nicely on the (US) The Killing, but was subsumed when AMC felt like they might have a hit on their hands.
THANK YOU - just started watching, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out where I knew the actor from.
NP! It took me probably to the second epi to place him. He shore is purdy.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It was very good. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not at the way it ended though.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've read a few comments online of people who felt the same. I loved the conversation between them.

"You fucked up."

And he did.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Yeah, great episode, but it feels like they've just taken a ten-episode series and lopped it in the middle. I guess that makes it easier to find funding for the second half, but it's a bit frustrating to realise halfway through the last episode that they're not going to get the bad guy.

Superb show though. Best drama I've seen on the beeb in ages.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Loved this. Only two things pressed my "meh" button:

1. The bit with Gibson's button coming undone. Seriously, what was the point of this?

2. Burns telling Gibson, "Do you have any idea of your impact on men?" Come on. I'm glad her look spoke for itself, and he mumbled an apology and shuffled off, never to mention it again. Still.

Other than those two minor points, I loved this series, and am hugely looking forward to the next.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think your second point was more along the lines of how women always get the blame for how men feel about them. Part of the whole 'women are alien and not like us' thing.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I think your second point was more along the lines of how women always get the blame for how men feel about them. Part of the whole 'women are alien and not like us' thing.

Probably. It rubbed me the wrong way, but maybe that's because my ICK factor is still on high after watching all of Hemlock Grove and then all of Top of the Lake. I probably should have waited before diving into The Fall. (But I'm glad I didn't.)

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I thought that second bit was great. It revealed a lot about both characters, particularly the man.

Oh, it revealed a hell of a lot about him. I don't buy that it revealed as much about her. I adore how strong and unapologetic Gibson is -- a truly independent woman who is in control, from her work to her fitness to her sex life. These days, it's rare to see a strong female character who doesn't break down emotionally at least once. And she doesn't come across as masculine, either (maybe that's why the creatives put in the first point, to emphasize that she's a woman who wears feminine clothing, not someone who wears men's clothing made for women, if you get my point).

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Oh, it revealed a hell of a lot about him. I don't buy that it revealed as much about her.

Her reaction of faint amusement; it implied to me that it wasn't the first time this had happened, and that she wasn't overly sympathetic.

Anyway, in a series full of neat character notes, it was another neat character note.