AgathaChristieFan's self-publishing journey

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
@RL yeah it's always a nice feeling to see people comment on your posts or tweets

@Jazen, I hope Fire and Ice gets back to you soon. You'd think they would answer in a timely manner if they want new business. I was thinking about using them in the fall around Halloween. I look forward to reading your updates too :)

@HistorySleuth thanks for the suggestion! I signed up for June 22nd (my brother's b-day). I'm listed as A Writer's Blog (I think # 14 or #15). Next time I'll make sure to put my name instead LOL. I'm excited to participate. So many options to chose from, regarding sharing my excerpts.

I'm looking forward to July 22nd (my grandma's birthday). The Virtual Bookcase on Wordpress said she'll feature one of my books on that day. I've noticed recently bloggers have been getting back to me about reviews and guest spots instead of being ignored.

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
@Jazen, I hope Fire and Ice gets back to you soon. You'd think they would answer in a timely manner if they want new business. I was thinking about using them in the fall around Halloween. I look forward to reading your updates too :)

I'm looking forward to July 22nd (my grandma's birthday). The Virtual Bookcase on Wordpress said she'll feature one of my books on that day. I've noticed recently bloggers have been getting back to me about reviews and guest spots instead of being ignored.

Sadly, as of today I still have not gotten a response back from them. I've even checked my spam folder to see if it landed there.

Very exciting about being featured next month! Glad you are getting responses back from people now. Hope things continue to go well.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
@Grayworld, thank you!

@Jazen, if you're ever interested, I offer author interviews, book spotlights, or guest posts on my blog. Some of my followers may be interested in your book :) My email is Author.Yawatta.Hosby(AT)aol(DOT)com

@HistorySleuth, I'm enjoying Weekend Writing Warriors so far! I've already signed up again for this Sunday. They welcomed me with open arms, and I've met some cool people :)

JUNE SALES:

Amazon
One By One--4
Something's Amiss---3

For July, I've gotten 3 sales so far (1 from U.K. and 1 from Amazon ES). I was so excited. Going international :)

Jazen

Registered
Reaction score
Your numbers are looking good! I'll shoot you an email shortly. :)

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I haven't posted in over a year. That's bananas!

Overall, my sales have been:

--One By One: 2,193 books (some have been free downloads from Amazon)
--Something's Amiss: 594 (some have been free downloads)
--Plenty of Fish: 179 (some have been free downloads)

My writing dream finally came true. My short story was accepted in the Ink Slingers' Halloween Anthology this year. I was so excited. Even though I'm listed as a contributing author, I can't see the book stats except on Smashwords and Goodreads. My other short story would have been accepted in the DIY MFA Anthology but she didn't get enough submissions.

I'm finally feeling confident about my writing. I keep submitting to magazines and journals, getting personal rejections instead of form ones. I'm involved with the Eastern NaNoWriMos, and I suggested to them that we should make an anthology that features the local writers in our area. After taking a poll on Facebook, it looks like the idea is a go (it wasn't worth pursuing if we couldn't get any submissions).

Over the year, I've been a busy bee. Besides writing fiction, I've also dabbled in screenwriting (me and my 2 writing buddies are working on a teleplay now) and freelance writing (which takes up SO MUCH time). I haven't given up on being an author, but man, I realized that it takes me forever to revise once I hear back from editors or critique partners. It's taking me way too long to publish my books. So, I figured I can make my income another way. My ultimate goal is to be able to quit my 9 to 5 and write full time.

I've stuck with Goodreads because that seems to be the best way to connect with readers. I interact in my groups not even revealing that I'm an author. Some people end up adding my books to their TBR from a post of mine. I'm not in KDP select anymore, opting to go to other book channels. Often I regret that decision because since then, my sales have taken a nose drive. I was tired of giving my books away for free, but man, I was getting exposure, especially with those borrows. I'm debating if I want to go back to KDP select or not.

Wednesday runs my Fussy Librarian ad for One By One. I'll see how that works out. Someone's SP diary had success running ads for her books, so I'm going to start an advertising budget. It's worth a try. I have plenty of reviews and ratings on Goodreads, but I need better numbers on Amazon. Right now, One By One is the only book that can be considered for book sites, like Fussy Librarian, eBookHabit, etc. because it's the only one that has over 10 reviews.

I still consider self-publishing a marathon, not a race, having realistic expectations. I'm sorry that I've been gone for so long...

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back! I just ran a promo on Bargain Booksy that did ok. They don't have a review requirement so you might want to check it out.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Akaria. I'll check out that site. My Fussy Librarian ad went well. I'll probably keep doing that one. The more the merrier if they actually work :)

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in it's best to keep learning the craft of writing.

In January, I'm participating in a Short Story Boot Camp (like a workshop). The editor who didn't get enough submissions for her anthology wants to help writers get their stories published elsewhere. She offered to do this for free, which was very kind of her. I'm looking forward to connecting with new writers.

January 1st will begin my Blank Page to Final Draft 2016 program. The author Bryn Donovan set it up to every Monday we'll receive a post during 2016 with a weekly assignment. By the end of the program, we should have written, revised, edited, and completed our novels. I signed up for this free event because I have a habit of writing shorter pieces. I want to try my hand at a full blown novel--something higher than a 50,000 word count. Plus, I'm looking forward to writing assignments! It's so disappointing when I sign up for a class but there are only lectures, no assignments. I feel like I'm not really learning anything when that happens.

Last but not least, I've been taking an online novel writing workshop, self-paced. There are over 28 lectures. It's taking me awhile to get through the workshop because there's no class involvement to keep me motivated. I listen and watch a video and that's basically it. I do get to write the instructor if I have any questions, so that's a plus. I found this through Groupon for only $20.

Every year at the end of April there is a Chocolate Fest/Book Faire in downtown Martinsburg, WV. I plan on signing up so I can have a booth and sell my books. They care about integrity, not accepting every book submission. I think I'll submit my women's fiction novella, Something's Amiss, because I have a feeling that my horror books wouldn't be greeted with enthusiasm in that crowd :)

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Last night I published my fourth book TWISTED OBSESSION: A SUSPENSE NOVELLA, using KDP select as a test run. So far, I already have KEND pages read. It's no contest--I just deleted my books from Smashwords, B&N, and D2D. Once I'm confident everything is off all sales channels, I'll enroll ONE BY ONE and SOMETHING'S AMISS back on KDP select.

I'm still interested in the Chocolate/BookFest coming in April, so hopefully, I can format the paperback version of my new release in time for the review committee of the festival to accept or reject my application. My goal is to join more local events in the community. I'm tired of staying in my introverted bubble lol.

Speaking of getting out of my introverted bubble, I made a connection with my co-worker's daughter. She's a young writer and the president of the MHS Creative Writing Club. ONE BY ONE was selected (and approved by the teacher) for their book discussion. I was honored when I found out the news.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday (Oct. 15th) I had a book signing with 7 other local authors called Booktoberfest. I was nervous, yet excited. Thankfully, I came out of my shell to network and talk to anyone who stopped by my table. I bought some mystery books, sold some myself, and got a few people to sign up for my newsletter. I didn't know what to expect, so I set my goal of selling at least 10 books. I was short 4 of my goal, but I'm still proud of myself. I made a profit since there was no set-up fee. The host said she's trying to do another event in the spring. As long as it doesn't interfere with ChocolateFest, I'm in.

Books sold at the book signing:
One By One--3
Something's Amiss--2
Twisted Obsession--1

It looks like my debut novel from 2013 is still my best seller no matter the selling platform. ;)

I had the pleasure of sitting by Barry Bo Bolyard, an author of Harpers Ferry's history. He told me about a craft show in Shepherdstown for December called A Handmade Christmas in Shepherdstown. The annual event is very popular with a lot of foot traffic. He offered if it's too late for me to sign up as a vendor, then I can share a table with him. That's very cool of him. I'll be taking him up on his offer. Books make great gifts. Plus, if I don't sell anything, then I may be able to get more subscribers to my newsletter or hand out my business cards.

Exposure to potential readers is everything, so I signed up all of my books for a Goodreads giveaway. On the first night, I already had people requesting them. In the past, it took a few days or weeks to see any good traction. But last night 242 readers took a chance to win One By One; 123 for Something's Amiss; and 130 for Twisted Obsession. I'm looking forward to seeing who wins these 3 books.

One of these events worked yesterday because this morning I see that I have a kindle sale for Twisted Obsession and KENP pages read for One By One. October is looking like a good month.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Hey, congrats on your book signing! And good for you for pushing yourself to do that. This kind of thing is so nerve-wracking for me.

Good news about the Handmade Christmas event, too. That sounds like a lot of fun and good exposure for your books.

Nice to see your update. :)

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Next Monday, I'm doing a book signing with Bo and another local author named Erin. Should be interesting--it's in the grocery store Weis. Our event also has a wine tasting and eating samples from the deli. Being realistic, I don't plan on selling many copies of my books, but I hope to add readers to my mailing list and pass out business cards.

For the past two months, I've found a writing schedule that works around my 9 to 5. I've been producing more work and, most importantly, been editing my butt off. So far this month, I've already dedicated 24 hours to editing my WIP. My motivation comes from connecting with other writers on Facebook and writing forums. I've joined Ninja Writers and 10 Minute Novelists.

Thanks to my blog readers, I came up with the title for my soon-to-be-release--SIX PLUS ONE. It's the sequel to One By One. I'm expecting it to be ready the beginning of next year. Hopefully, December I'll have enough money saved so I can afford an editor.

Goodreads is still the best place for me hands down in connecting with readers. I've been posting general updates of my writing progress, and I'm still rating books I read, acting like a reader instead of an author. My giveaways helped with exposure. Readers are emailing me to get a free copy of my books in exchange for honest reviews when they don't win the giveaways. At first, I was skeptical, thinking it may be a scam, but so far, the readers have come through with their promise. I used to only have around 20-something followers, but I'm up to 55. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. I've been making some leeway on Twitter too by talking to other horror authors. If one of their readers like my tweet, then they tend to check me out. I'm still not impressed with Facebook...my blog posts never reach many people but random photos I upload do.

For 2017, I'll elevate what social media is working and what isn't, so I can start prioritizing my time better. I need to find a way to have a faster publishing schedule than one book a year...

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the supermarket signing!

I'm glad connecting with other writers is working for you. All it does is distract me from writing. ;)

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Akaira! The only one that distracts me is Pinterest. So many eye candy pics...I can't get enough of my favorite male celebrities haha.

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Over a year later, and I’m back :)

Overall (up to 2016):

—ONE BY ONE 113 sales
2,211 kenp pages read
3,205 free downloads

—SOMETHING’S AMISS 48 sales
0 KENP pages read
419 free downloads

—PLENTY OF FISH 25 sales
26 KENP pages read
183 free downloads

TWISTED OBSESSION 48 sales
3,377 KENP pages read
222 free downloads

Right before Thanksgiving, I published Six Plus One, so I’m excited for that. I’ve been trying to get my name out there since I won’t be able to afford doing Goodreads giveaways anymore. I did a podcast interview, which will hopefully come out before Christmas. That was my first podcast, and I was nervous!

I’m looking forward to a YouTuber who does book reviews to have my new release in one of his videos. I’m still waiting on my paperbacks to come. When I ordered from Createspace, my estimated delivery time was Monday the 18th. My books haven’t even shipped yet! I’m getting nervous...

Something tells me 2018 will be a great year

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the podcast!

On Nov. 27 I placed an order with CreateSpace with an estimated delivery date of Dec. 15. I got a notice it was shipped Dec 15th. Hopefully yours will go faster; there are 8 different books in my order.

I enjoy the updates on the self-publishing journals, even if they are yearly. It gives me a glimpse into the reality of self-publishing. When there is a journal started and later abandoned, I always wonder if they have continued to write or if they've given up. Thanks for coming back to give us the scoop.:)

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Catherine, I was wondering if it was just my order. Must be Createspace. I remember when I’d order books, and it’d take less than a week and a half to get. The good days :)

I love reading the self-publishing diaries too. Even though I hardly post, I lurk on the website every day. I’m hoping 2018 I’ll go back to posting on the regular. It’s good to share my triumphs and failures for others to get insight into self-publishing. I started my diary back in 2013 because I had learned so much from other self-publishers that I wanted to give back.