The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: AgathaChristieFan's self-publishing journey

AgathaChristieFan's self-publishing journey

Hello everyone! It's been a real eye opening reading your self-publishing diaries on here. It's my favorite forum on Absolute Write

Ten days ago, I published my debut novel, and I'm very excited! Since I'm self-publishing for the long haul, I thought it'd be beneficial to learn formatting myself. That night I only got 4 hours of sleep, but it was worth it to see my mystery thriller on Amazon as a kindle book.

Two days ago, my proof from Createspace came in the mail. It was pretty cool to have a physical copy in my hand There's a copy of things I have to fix (like getting rid of some blank pages and making the header disappear on the front matter pages and the first page of each chapter). My friend said she'd help me if I need it.

Soon, I plan to download my story to Nook and Smashwords. I hope the process is easy as Amazon was. I've read some horror stories that other authors went through. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So far, I've had 6 sales. Three were from family members and 1 from my writing buddy. The other 2 are mysteries. I think it's time to play Harriet the Spy LOL.

I really don't plan to promote it until I get back from my New York City trip next week. Two bloggers offered to review, which is cool. I'll set up a blog tour and do a giveaway on Goodreads.

I'm really excited to share my publishing experience with you guys. And to continue reading about your journeys

Feeling like an old timer rainsmom's Avatar
    Congrats! I look forward to reading about your journey. Here's to huge success!
    Melissa C. Alexander

Click for Joy!
    Click for Joy!
    Sunshine Books, 2003
    Winner "Best Training/Behavior Book 2003" by Dog Writers of America

WIP: Doubting River (est. completion 2014)
    Winner mainstream category of "The Sandy" literary contest, 2010

Blog: A Plotter's Guide to Novel Writing
    Twitter: @M_C_Alexander

Thanks Rainsmom

practical experience, FTW Celeste Carrara's Avatar
    Yay! I'm glad to see you self published your book! Congrats and I wish you all the best.

For some reason, that Twitter link is just taking me to the main site, not your Twitter page. I'd like to follow you on Twitter so send me the link when you can.

It's all about grace
    Congratulations, ACF! Looking forward to watching your progress in your journey.
    Chew the cherries & spit the pits!

Heart Song on Amazon

Congratulations! I can't wait to read more about your journey!

Writing! Writing! Writing! Requiescat In Pace
    Looking forward to following your journey and glad you're sharing it with us.
    [URL="http://www.amazon.com/author/merrihiatt"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]
    I'm a clickable link to Amazon

[URL="http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/merrihiatt"]Smashwords[/URL] [URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/merri-hiatt?store=allproducts&keyword=merri+hiatt"]B&N[/URL] [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/merri-hiatt/id458595119?mt=11"]iTunes[/URL] [URL="http://www.allromanceebooks.com/storeSearch.html?searchBy=author&qString=Merri+Hiatt"]AllRomance[/URL] [URL="http://merrihiatt.com/"]Website[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste Carrara View Post

For some reason, that Twitter link is just taking me to the main site, not your Twitter page. I'd like to follow you on Twitter so send me the link when you can.
    I fixed it

Thanks Celeste, Ann Joyce, and RL McKeown! I'm supposed to be writing for NaNo (only 2 days left YEA!!!) but I can't stop rotating from this site, Goodreads, and my blog. It's like an addiction LOL. I should start packing soon since I leave tomorrow. Eventually I'll get it done

Quote Originally Posted by merrihiatt View Post
    Looking forward to following your journey and glad you're sharing it with us.
    Thank you!

Go you, and I wish you much success.

tri

Engineer Sonneteer Norman D Gutter's Avatar
    Congrats, ACF, for getting to this point. May you have many sales.

NDG
    I blog, therefore I am.

My author page at Amazon's Kindle Store.

I'm gonna give all my secrets away Spell-it-out's Avatar
    Congrats ACF! It's great to see you've taken the plunge and put your work out there, I hope it goes well for you. Well done on the 6 sales so far.
    Angel of Death on Amazon
    The History Maker on Amazon

Thanks Triceretops, Norman D Gutter, and Spell-it-out!

Victorian Prostitute Re-enactor MmeGuillotine's Avatar
    Congratulations and good luck!
    I blog as Madame Guillotine and tweet as MmeGuillotine.

Thanks MmeGuillotine!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Congratulations, that is awesome! As a fan of Agatha Christie myself and a new self-published author, I say, Go You!
    "You gotta write to be a writer!"
    The Natural Victim (Amazon)
    Twitter
    Blog

Thanks PeterReynard! I've loved Agatha Christie's novels since high school too. For lunch, I would spend my time in the library. My debut novel is inspired by "Then There Were None."

I just downloaded your mystery. I can't wait to read it. You had me at 'as a fan of Agatha Christie myself' LOL. Good luck with your publishing journey. Do you have a self-publishing journal on here too?

For May, it looks like my total sales on Amazon were 6. I'll take whatever I can get. I published on May 20th.

Last night, I was pumped, attempting to download my book to Nook. I signed up, but I was at a standstill until I received an email to continue registering. I didn't get that until this morning, so after work, I'll go home and try again. By this weekend, I'd like to try downloading to Smashwords. I'm still having trouble formatting my headers/footers to match for Createspace, so I'll continue tweaking it.

Starting last night, I've complied a list of bloggers who specialize in the mystery, thriller genre to see if I can guest blog, have an author interview, or book review. It's time to start marketing. Later, I'll look on Goodreads to see if I can join any groups--I don't want to do that until I know for sure that I can commit time to something else.

They say the best promotion/marketing is getting another book out. So I should definitely make time to write and edit. For my women's fiction novel (the next book I plan to publish), I'm almost at the beta-reader stage. So excited! Then the NaNo novella I did for this month will be the next one published.

Since I write in cross genres, I plan to rotate every other book with a different genre. Hopefully everything will work out. I'll clearly label my books on my blog so readers shouldn't get confused.

Writing! Writing! Writing! Requiescat In Pace
    Thanks for the update!
    [URL="http://www.amazon.com/author/merrihiatt"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]
    I'm a clickable link to Amazon

[URL="http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/merrihiatt"]Smashwords[/URL] [URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/merri-hiatt?store=allproducts&keyword=merri+hiatt"]B&N[/URL] [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/merri-hiatt/id458595119?mt=11"]iTunes[/URL] [URL="http://www.allromanceebooks.com/storeSearch.html?searchBy=author&qString=Merri+Hiatt"]AllRomance[/URL] [URL="http://merrihiatt.com/"]Website[/URL]

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Congrats and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AgathaChristieFan View Post
    Thanks PeterReynard! I've loved Agatha Christie's novels since high school too. For lunch, I would spend my time in the library. My debut novel is inspired by "Then There Were None."

I just downloaded your mystery. I can't wait to read it. You had me at 'as a fan of Agatha Christie myself' LOL. Good luck with your publishing journey. Do you have a self-publishing journal on here too?
    I love "And Then There Were None." It's one of my favorite books and it was what I thought of when I read the blurb on Amazon. I'll be sure to check it out. And I hope you enjoy mine.

Nope don't have a self-publishing journal on here. Didn't know there was something like that. And good luck with the next one because I hear that's the best way to get more sales.
    "You gotta write to be a writer!"
    The Natural Victim (Amazon)
    Twitter
    Blog

Thanks SeeMO. I love that publishing is a steady marathon instead of a quick race

PeterReynard, I hope you enjoy it. Anyone can start a journal on here by clicking on the new thread in this forum. There's a lot of self-publishing journals on here--that's where I learned valuable information so I could have realistic expectations.

practical experience, FTW iron9567's Avatar
    Congrats on the publish I hope you have many sales in the future.
    thanks
    iron

Six sales in six days? ACF, you're doing great!
    "Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all." -- William Goldman, The Princess Bride

Thank you Iron and PortableHal!

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast