new user of ywriter having a bit of a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelley_Hernandez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
yesterday i downloaded ywriter5 and started using it because I found it to be a great organizational tool for novels and it helps me remember who my major and minor characters are and everything, and i love the software. the problem i have with it is i can't do anything with the things i write on it. i can't copy and paste them into another word processor or anything. i wrote 4 scenes on there in chapter 30 of my novel yesterday and i don't know what i'm going to do with them because they're in scene mode, you know and i don't know how to manage that. i don't know what the procedure is in writing it in a new document or anything. i'm just lost. it's a minor problem, but i still need help.

Shelley_Hernandez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I seem to recall that there is a way to export the yWriter project to a .rtf file, which is readable by most word processing software. You might be able to do other popular file types. I'll have a look when I get home tonight, as I use yWriter too, but not here at work. :)

thank you so much for your help, jimmy.

p. s. i just tried the exporting option and all it exported into rtf was the asterisks i used to indicate scene breaks, so although i didn't get exactly what i wanted i know i'm getting somewhere.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Editing with MS Word. Right-click on the scene in the scene list and you should have a menu item named "Open content with default RTF editor". If you have MS Office installed, this will be MS Word. Once you have edited and saved the contents from within MS Word, select the menu item "Finished with External Editor" so that you can unlock the file.

Exporting. You have the option to save either as an RTF, HTML, TXT or EPUB formats. Note that exporting does exactly that. You can edit the exported file as long as you want, but there is no link back to yWriter (i.e. modifications to an exported file are not reflected in its yWriter source).

> they're in scene mode

Chapters, Scenes, and Granularity level. A scene is the only level of granularity in yWriter. If you are used to writing whole chapters and disregard scenes altogether, the workaround is to have ONE scene per chapter and leave it at that. If you want to go lower in terms of granularity and separate dialogue from the narrative within a single scene, then you need to stitch together scenes using the "Append to Previous Scene" flag which is found in the Details tab of the scene editor. Repeat for scenes in the chain. This will remove the three-star separators on the printed / exported output.

-cb

Last edited:

Shelley_Hernandez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Editing with MS Word. Right-click on the scene in the scene list and you should have a menu item named "Open content with default RTF editor". If you have MS Office installed, this will be MS Word. Once you have edited and saved the contents from within MS Word, select the menu item "Finished with External Editor" so that you can unlock the file.

Exporting. You have the option to save either as an RTF, HTML, TXT or EPUB formats. Note that exporting does exactly that. You can edit the exported file as long as you want, but there is no link back to yWriter (i.e. modifications to an exported file are not reflected in its yWriter source).

> they're in scene mode

Chapters, Scenes, and Granularity level. A scene is the only level of granularity in yWriter. If you are used to writing whole chapters and disregard scenes altogether, the workaround is to have ONE scene per chapter and leave it at that. If you want to go lower in terms of granularity and separate dialogue from the narrative within a single scene, then you need to stitch together scenes using the "Append to Previous Scene" flag which is found in the Details tab of the scene editor. Repeat for scenes in the chain. This will remove the three-star separators on the printed / exported output.

-cb

i'm going to try that. thank you.

edit: i played with it for a few minutes and then i right-clicked copy to clipboard, opened Wordpad, my program for RTF files, and I clicked paste, and although there are a whole bunch of codes and tags, all the text is there. i'm going to have to stop using this program because i don't understanding. thank you, jimmy and cbenoi for your help.

shelley

Last edited:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Hmm...it worked perfectly for me. File>Export Project, then pick Text or RTF or whatever, and it gives you a save as box to name the exported file, and that's it.
Just out of interest, why do you want to copy it into another word processor anyway? Unless you are readying it for submission, I suppose?

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Also copy and paste:

Ctrl A to select the text. Ctrl C to copy. Then you can paste using Ctrl V. I do this all the time as I generally edit outside of ywriter after exporting.

There should be no codes when you copy and paste. You wrote the scenes in the scene editor correct?

Shelley_Hernandez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
yes, i write the scenes in the editor. i'm sorry i took so long to come back. i am writing my scenes in word pad now because what i would do is, instead of writing a little bit of the scene, i'd write the whole scene in the editor. i know i made a mistake, but i needed to copy and paste the new scenes into the main document of my draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.