Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bright Lights Associates (Suzanne Hoos)

Sandra1950

Bright Lights Associates (Suzanne Hoos)

Does anyone know what happened to Suzanne Hoos of Bright Lights Associates?
    I was working with her two years ago, and she seems to have disappeared off the planet..
    I'm also trying to find out if Bookworm Literary Group is legit...I got an email from a Phyllis Jager who wants to see a manuscript, but I can't find a site for her.

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Sandra,

Found this on Preditors and Editors:

Bright Lights Associates/Literary Group: a literary agency. 2/18/05: a writer reports this agency is defunct. Not verified.

That's about all I could find on Bright Lights.

As for Bookworm, couldn't find much on them, either. The most I found was something on Preditors and Editors:

http://invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pealb.htm

Just scroll down the page. There's a paragraph on what they're looking for, which is nice, and also that they don't charge fees, blah, blah, blah. They don't seem to have a website, only an email addy. And they only list a post office box as an address.

Which means they might be legit, might not. Listing just a p.o. box sounds a bit fishy to me, but that might just be me. Anyway, as I couldn't find much on either of these two, I think I'd pass.

Dave and Victoria, feel free to jump in here with anything you might have.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you, Sandra. Good luck!

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Sandra1950

Thanks

Thanks Nancy,
    I've had a strange feeling about Bookworm. If they don't have a website, it's hard to know anything about the company...
    It's just so frustrating to try and find an agent who is legit...

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Hmm...bouncing back to Suzanne Hoos for a moment, she is/was an 8th-grade English teacher, and involved with local theater groups through Bright Lights Entertainment. I can only hope this PA book is not the same Mrs. Hoos.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

gotpup1

Suzanne Hoos, MIA

Hi Sandra

My experience was similar to yours.
    She sent my MS around, sent me copies of replies, and Poof...
    heard no more.
    That was a few years ago.
    Her email link is still there.

Does she still have your work?
    Have you taken it elsewhere?

I am unsure how to preceed as I would like to give it another shot.
    (She is a 'bodice-ripper' author...I'm certain that book is hers as
    she is very involved in community theatrics.

Love to hear your suggestions...
    Thanks
    Terry

The only agent worth giving another shot is one who has verified sales to advance/royalty-paying publishers. Anyone else is a waste of your time and material costs.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    The only agent worth giving another shot is one who has verified sales to advance/royalty-paying publishers. Anyone else is a waste of your time and material costs.
    And that's what they think about writers, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth
    And that's what they think about writers, unfortunately.
    Huh?
    ICAO
    ---------

gotpup1
    Actually I was wondering if one is still 'attached' to an agent who becomes lost in the ether.
    Is there some sort of statute of limitations that applies when a few years has passed with no communication?

Sorry, I'm new to this.

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by gotpup1
    Actually I was wondering if one is still 'attached' to an agent who becomes lost in the ether.
    Is there some sort of statute of limitations that applies when a few years has passed with no communication?

Sorry, I'm new to this.
    IANAL, but a good-faith attempt to contact said agent to terminate representation should do the trick.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

What does your contract say? Most are only for a year or two, so even if there isn't specific termination clause, it probably expired on its own. IANAL, YMMV, but CYA.
    ICAO
    ---------