The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clean Teen Publishing / Crimson Tree Publishing

Clean Teen Publishing / Crimson Tree Publishing

http://www.cleanteenpublishing.com/index.html

Anyone ever heard of them? They sound like either a self-publishing co. or vanity by their submissions page.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

A faithful friend & a good library AphraB's Avatar
    "Clean Teen?" As opposed to . . . dirty teen? Ew.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    The are a small YA publisher that features warning labels in their books rating it for levels of sex, violence etc. They will also make a warning label for your book for $99.

I don't see the point of the appeal of the whole concept, but that's just me. Despite their name their three books so far do include some naughtiness based on their own ratings.
    Emily Veinglory

Yeah, I know. And their books are the opposite of clean. It's a bit contradicting.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    Site's registered to a Courtney Nuckels. She's co-authored 4 teen novels, all "published" via Amazon Digital Services. Her bio on Amazon states that she is or was a middle-school teacher. No mention of any previous publishing experience. That would be enough for me to give them a pass.

Their "rating" system makes me gag, honestly. "He hit a home run" is a "Level 1" naughtiness phrase? Really? Do people even still use the "first/second/third/home" euphemisms for fooling around? What if it's a book about a baseball player? And they're basing it on a paper put out in 2000 by the BBC and the British Broadcasting Standards Commission? That makes me both give them a pass and a strong desire to hack-up a hairball on their foot. (ETA: That sounds wrong--it's not because it's based on BBC/BSC standards; I'd dislike it as much, if not more, if it was based on FCC standards. Using 13 year-old standards from broadcasting, though? That's just odd.)

Also adding: I don't know about the rest of the images yet, but the "Angel" image they've "been working on!" is from a royalty-free, stock image site. The only "work" they did on it was to draw a circle around the face and color it yellow.
    Last edited by FluffBunny; 05-24-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

Even if I wanted my book rated, I personally would not pay for a system someone knocked together like this. It has some embedded values I disagree with and the public won't know what it means anyway. Also the graphic is busy and unattractive. but again, that's just me.
    Emily Veinglory

Shiny new cover! AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    My immediate thought on reading the thread title was "fluffy Christian teen fiction."

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    My immediate thought on reading the thread title was "fluffy Christian teen fiction."
    My first thought was the scene in the original Hairspray where Divine sneers, "Roaches? Our little Tracy's a clean teen!"

</derail>
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. Torgo's Avatar
    "Please list all supernatural creatures in the book."

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    "Please list all supernatural creatures in the book."
    "Well, there's Bob, the somewhat androgynous, part-time vampire; Esme, the burgeoning were-sloth; Francis, the talking mule and, of course, Antioch, who works for PublishAmerica."

*laughs at the Hairspray reference and ends her own derail*
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

If a teenager says they are in any way 'clean', I start wondering about hidden deviance. I was a teenager. I remember.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

Back in the black, & staying there! Marian Perera's Avatar
    Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    "Any use of heroine, crack, and/or methamphetamines etc."

"The novel has a dark, eerie, fairy-tale feel." Washington Post's review of The Beast Prince

AmazonWebsite

There is nothing worse than a used heroine.
    Emily Veinglory

5/5 for you, missy.
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Adult imprint, Crimson Tree Publishing: http://www.crimsontreepublishing.com/index.html
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

None of the 'team' appear to have any publishing experience, aside from this, and a couple of them appear to have self-published their own books.
    And, all of them prominently mention their families, and two of the four indicate that they are 'stay-at-home' mothers, which suggests that your books will not be their first priority if push comes to shove.

My one book is on Net Galley right now and I noticed one of Clean Teen's books, which is on the first page of the most requested. So I of course checked into it further. Seems like most of their books are doing very well. Some of the covers I really love. I think their done well.

I thought to give them a try and submitted. Wish me luck!

Twitter

Eviscerate the Proletariat cwschizzy's Avatar
    Seems a bit too *rolls eyes* for me, but that's just me. Congrats and good luck to you.

Well I tried it anyway. I haven't done "extensive" research and maybe the contract won't be so good. They look much better than that Crushing Butterfly one. I got a contract on that, very poor. Then when I went to the thread my heart sank. I quickly passed on it.

Twitter

Does anyone have more info on these guys? I see their books popping up everywhere, in libraries and Goodreads and getting good reviews. Some have the School Library Journal and Kirkus for reviews.

Twitter

"LMAO" is a Level 2 in the language section, and "making fun of religious beliefs" qualifies as Violence Level 2. They have a VERY low bar for content indeed.

Odd: "Girlfriend/boyfriend emotional turmoil" is Violence Level 3. Emotional turmoil could mean anything, yet they call it violence? Weird.
    MAYBE IN PARIS - YA contemporary - coming June 6th 2017 from Sky Pony Press! Now available to preorder on Amazon!

Represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!

Add my book on Goodreads!

Facebook - I don't really know what I'm doing there yet
    Twitter - Sometimes I'm funny there
    Tumblr - My blog

Two cups sugar with a dash of crazy oceansoul's Avatar
    The intense focus on religious morality in their system means this publisher is definitely not for me.

Julia Ember
    http://www.julia-ember.com
    @jules_chronicle

Unicorn Tracks (Harmony Ink Press, 2016)
    YA Fantasy Romance
    Buy it and Be Awesome

The Tiger's Watch (Harmony Ink Press, 2017)
    YA Fantasy Romance
    Add to GoodReads!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    Does anyone have more info on these guys? I see their books popping up everywhere, in libraries and Goodreads and getting good reviews. Some have the School Library Journal and Kirkus for reviews.
    I was wondering the same thing. I saw them on Pit2Pub on Twitter yesterday and did some searching. I saw they made their first appearance at BEA this year. Many of their books are currently available for free on Amazon and while I haven't read any cover to cover, they seem well done.

Too religiously inclined for my liking. If their books are doing well, then good for the writers. My guess is they're aggressively marketing to a certain religious element, but hey, if it works, go with it. Not for me. I like to keep all religion out of my books. Their standards are wonky, to say the least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast