McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
My McAfee firewall suddenly is trying to block this site saying that it is dangerous. What's with that?

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My McAfee firewall suddenly is trying to block this site saying that it is dangerous. What's with that?

I'm getting the same message, just started today. Anyone heard anything?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so tech ignorant that I' don't know what the issue was but after a couple hours the McAffe tab went from blinking red to solid green. When I opened it, it said that the issue was with something AW was linked to but that the issue was now resolved, whatever that means.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so tech ignorant that I' don't know what the issue was but after a couple hours the McAffe tab went from blinking red to solid green. When I opened it, it said that the issue was with something AW was linked to but that the issue was now resolved, whatever that means.

I suspect it was triggered by a would-be spammer's sig link.

I banned and deleted all of a would-be spammer's posts this morning because of sig spam.

The AW server itself is clean; I just scanned it again.

But you can receive malware warning because someone has linked, often unknowingly, to an infected site. Or because you're the victim of an attempted injection attack, where a site you visited days or weeks or hours ago has inserted javascript and waits for an iframe (used by ads) to insert malicious code.

Always feel free to contact me if you get such a warning; I want to know about it, and the more data you can give me (what thread, had you just done new posts, was there a specific malware or URL?) the easier it is for me to track it down.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Just checked mine, but it's still showing red.

I suspect it was triggered by a would-be spammer's sig link.

I banned and deleted all of a would-be spammer's posts this morning because of sig spam.

The AW server itself is clean; I just scanned it again.

But you can receive malware warning because someone has linked, often unknowingly, to an infected site. Or because you're the victim of an attempted injection attack, where a site you visited days or weeks or hours ago has inserted javascript and waits for an iframe (used by ads) to insert malicious code.

Always feel free to contact me if you get such a warning; I want to know about it, and the more data you can give me (what thread, had you just done new posts, was there a specific malware or URL?) the easier it is for me to track it down.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I just went to the site, it happened to me as well. I was about to make a thread, only to see one already there. Thanks for letting us know what's going on though.

Dragonwriter

Fluorescent Pudding-Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlkingwriting.com
Yep, I'm still getting red. I've got McAfee on this machine but it's pretty bare-bones. I was also getting warnings on my work machine today, which has a much more formidable firewall and VPN. So something was definitely up. I wonder if it's one of the ads...?

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, I'm still getting warnings about AW too.

Deleted member 42

Could someone take a screen shot of the warning and send it to me [email protected].

Any additional information would be helpful; i.e. you were on the top page of the site, or a particular thread, or use New Posts . . .
It may be that there's a malformed iframe in one of the Google ads, but everyone potentially sees different Google ads, based on your individual settings and browsing.

You may have McAfee citing a specific URL that isn't an AW address; that would be helpful too.

Thanks

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Medievalist, I clicked to ignore the warning before I saw your post.

Have sent you an email.

Hope it helps.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
McAfee Site Advisor

FYI I've been getting intermittent McAfee SiteAdvisor warnings about this site. Sometimes the site seems to come up clean, and sometimes it comes up "red." But when I tried to submit a review (on this page), it didn't go through.

But McAfee SiteAdvisor is weird. Now and then, I've gotten warnings about blocked content here. And when I unblocked it, it turned out to be a banner for an AW's new book. OMG those dangerous authors! :rolleyes

ETA:
Urgh! I'm getting the red button, but when I click it to see the review or whatever, it comes up clean. Which is good, and yet at the same time frustrating because it doesn't really help, does it?

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Urgh! I'm getting the red button, but when I click it to see the review or whatever, it comes up clean. Which is good, and yet at the same time frustrating because it doesn't really help, does it?

That actually does help, and it suggests that McAfee doesn't like iframes or Amazon.

I at least have something to work with, so thanks very much.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
On my system, it's because of one of the adverts. It doesn't happen always, but it's the second banner ad up from the bottom (in the site footer, under the forum area). McAfee highlights that it's blocked content on the page, and that's the thing with the blocked content logo.

Deleted member 42

McAfee is one of the services I use constantly to check the server.

I suspect that McAfee hates iFrames, but just the same, never hesitate to contact me.

I wanna know.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Logged in today and all's well again. McAfee has a lovely Irish green tint:D

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just a few minutes ago, I got one of those McAfee warnings where they block the banner ads. I clicked the button to show the blocked content anyway. (The ad for Archlight is so shockingly dangerous. :tongue) And the first page I ended up at was a page that was blank except for containing this URL:
sacore:whitelist?url=http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Don't know if that helps any? If I get the blocking message again, I'll try to see if I can get more information.

FWIW the ads I can see now are the Arclight one at the top, IllustriaBooks.com, 48HrBooks.com, Salt Cay Writers Retreat, Editing for Authors, and the Kindle ad.

Deleted member 42

sacore:whitelist?url=http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35

That's the notification from McAfee that AW is on their "whitelist" of safe domains because they scan us at least once a day.

Don't know if that helps any? If I get the blocking message again, I'll try to see if I can get more information.

FWIW the ads I can see now are the Arclight one at the top, IllustriaBooks.com, 48HrBooks.com, Salt Cay Writers Retreat, Editing for Authors, and the Kindle ad.

The first three "ads" are served by AW; they're just images with a link. The last two banners at the top are Google ads.

Thanks Anne; I appreciate it.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Just a few minutes ago, I got one of those McAfee warnings where they block the banner ads. .
Considering the google banner ads are sometimes horrendous scammers maybe McAfee has a point. (just kidding)

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
McAfee is banninated from my computer, like anything else that comes bundled with sneaky installers/downloaders. I just use ad-blocking browser add-ons (which leave the nice AW stuff on). Quiet, peaceful.

Deleted member 42

Considering the google banner ads are sometimes horrendous scammers maybe McAfee has a point. (just kidding)

We do try to block them, but it's hard because they keep changing their IDs which means blocking them all over again.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
McAfee is being hysterical. It's a little hyper. That's a direct link to Amazon; it's the book by Colorado Guy at the top of the page.
Or maybe McAfee wants to keep your children in the emergency room instead of out of it. :Eek:

It's assuming an iframe is hostile.
Down with hostile iframes! Up with kind and polite iframes!

Status
Not open for further replies.