• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Pyat

Most grateful for any light on the following.

Does anyone know when the statement was posted in Scott Hoffman’s profile announcing that he is temporarily not accepting unsolicited queries?

If you queried him before this announcement, was it about a literary novel?

And one with political, historical, scientific delving? If so, I’d really love to meet you.

And about a time, place, and people not extensively written about? Spooky. We should collaborate on the next.

And is it also spiritual, religious-themed? Then perhaps we were separated at birth.

And is this same story dark, dark, as in light cannot escape it? If so, then that’s quantum. Are you sure I’m not you?

Right. That’s not all he looks at. Just uncanny, his preferences, and unfortunate, his announcement.

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
I really want to query this one. Anyone know how long that "not accepting" announcement has been up? I have some hope that it'll be down in a month or so when I'm ready to query...a girl can hope right?!

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Jeff Kleinman was my first agent rejection--on a manuscript that I just sold at auction last week.

He was incredibly nice though, and I did requery Folio via Paige Wheeler. By the time Paige requested the full, I'd already had five offers of representation and was inclined to move forward with someone else.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
JamieFord - how long did you wait to requery Folio?

I was rejected by one of the agents there. It was a form letter rejection. Do I need to wait before giving them another shot? And is it really OK to try with a different agent there? Thanks.

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
This is going to sound insane, but this is the second time I've looked at their website and can't for the life of me find an email address. (Paige Wheeler). HELP, please! :tongue

Nevermind. Just found it on another site. My guess was right. Lol!

Last edited:

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a partial request from Erin Cartwright Niumata. Has anyone had any experience with her, as an agent? I love her agent page on the Folio website - she has an impressive editing background and seems very enthusiastic and professional. The page didn't mention anything about particular sales, though. I was just curious...

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Chelsea,

What type of material do you write?

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Chelsea,

What type of material do you write?

I write women's commercial fiction.

Ms. Niumata's fiction interests seem right up my alley. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I had a pretty great experience with Scott Hoffman. I queried him, and he asked me to send him the whole thing. I sent it. He got back to me THE SAME DAY.

Now, before you guys get too excited, he did reject me. And he admitted he didn't read the entire thing, But his rejection was probably the longest, most sincere one I've ever gotten, and he invited me to submit to him again when I have something new.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
I had a pretty great experience with Scott Hoffman. I queried him, and he asked me to send him the whole thing. I sent it. He got back to me THE SAME DAY.

Now, before you guys get too excited, he did reject me. And he admitted he didn't read the entire thing, But his rejection was probably the longest, most sincere one I've ever gotten, and he invited me to submit to him again when I have something new.

I had a similar expereince with Scott about 2 years ago, when I was pushing my soap queen chick lit novel. Since then, I have been signed by Folio, but for a different novel and by a different agent (Rachel Vater)

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a partial request from Erin Cartwright Niumata. Has anyone had any experience with her, as an agent? I love her agent page on the Folio website - she has an impressive editing background and seems very enthusiastic and professional. The page didn't mention anything about particular sales, though. I was just curious...

I have. :) I'll PM you.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Twizzle,

Just have to tell you that I really like everything about your website. Who designed it?

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Why thank you, scope. :)

It was me. I'm cheap so I just used one of the avail templates. It was very quick and easy.

Regarding Erin Cartwright-Niumata--I was telling ChelseaWriter I didn't have much to offer other than she's very fast, very polite. She was first to pass on my full ms. :( blpphhh. I didn't have much luck digging up recent sales, however. As an aside, I did see she's advertising privately in Writer's Digest for editing.

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* Got a rejection (of the requested 100 pgs) from Erin Niumata's assistant. At first, I didn't think it was a "form" rejection (it felt more specific and personal), but then realized it was, word for word, what others have been getting from Folio:

You have a great imagination - Erin and I loved the premise - and you're a good writer, but I'm sad to say that Erin just wasn't passionate enough about this to ask to see more. I wish I could offer constructive suggestions, but I thought the dialogue was fine, the characters well-crafted, and the plot well-conceived. I think it's the kind of thing that really is subjective - why some people adore the book on the top of the NYTimes bestseller list, and others don't.

Ah, well. Onward and upward...

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Chelsea. Keep your chin up. It will happen.

Boomergirl

Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Erin Niumata around July 10th. According to her profile on the Folio website, she said she responded within 2 days on average for e-queries and if she hadn't responded after that to resend the original query. I waited around three weeks and resent on July 30th. It's now a week since I sent in my resent query and still haven't heard a word from her. I'm sorry to say that I'm not at all impressed by her professionalism. If she said that she didn't respond to projects she passed on, I'd dislike it but at least forewarned is forewarned. To say that you respond promptly and then to leave people hanging is just plain rude.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez. It's only been a month. Right now, agents are swamped, so rather than bitch about how late she is, I'd suggest you give it another month. Hey, sometimes agents can't promise anything. They're only human.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Fionn & Boomergirl,

Fionn, you don't know how right you are.

Boomergirl, Why jump to any conclusion before at least sending an email to check out the status of your work? There happens to be several reasons why you haven't received a reply.