• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
waylander said:
This only applies for truly random events, and we're not dealing with a random event. If you're an experienced writer who has written an excellent novel then you chances are way better than if you're sending out the first thing you've ever written
I hereby nominate this as Truth of The Day. :Trophy:

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I don't know if this helps anyone, but I just got a form rejection in the mail.

Which is odd, considering I exchanged several emails with Scott Hoffman already and requested that they pull my manuscript.

But anyhoo, I hope the timeline helps someone. (He'd had the full since 2/27, but I pulled it about a week later, so dunno)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Boethius said:
I responded to a request for a read from Scott. Waited eleven weeks. Sent a polite note asking for an update. Ah, a new agency is afoot comes the eventual reply. I say, I understand, take whatever time you need. Waited another nine weeks. Contacted to check and also mention alternate idea.

What’s the theory on this? My feeling is that it’s a mistake, because you’re giving the agent two chances to not like your stuff, not two chances to like it.

Leo

Please accept this post as my application to the "Waiting for Hoffman" club.
He's had sample chapters for one month without a peep. He's due for a follow up from this writer.

Good luck to all.

Leo

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Irysangel said:
Heh. I don't know if this helps anyone, but I just got a form rejection in the mail.

Which is odd, considering I exchanged several emails with Scott Hoffman already and requested that they pull my manuscript.

But anyhoo, I hope the timeline helps someone. (He'd had the full since 2/27, but I pulled it about a week later, so dunno)

he's had my full since 2/21. Not a word so far.
Possibly he sent the form rejection out just as a matter of form because you already found an agent?
Who knows why they do what they do? If we try to figure them out we'll make ourselves nuts (hey, maybe that's a good idea for a book :.)...WAITING FOR HOFFMAN.....

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
So has anyone heard back from Jenny Rappaport?

Daughter of Faulkner

Always a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Keep writing!

Scott was professional and nice to me. I am a writer of literary fiction for adults and young adults. And because of my subjects and settings, a traditional southern writer. I was not a fit for his list, oh about, 6 mts. ago. He responded in a timely manner. And eventually I found the right match for my voice.

I suspect he has too many "irons in the fire" however if he requested your mss then he will get around to it. I hope it is sooner rather than later for each of you. If I were you, I'd continue to query other agents in the meantime.

Keep writing!

:e2BIC:

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I heard from Folio a few days ago and got the standard rejection on my full. It wasn't from Scott, and no reasons were given. :cry:

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Leo said:
Please accept this post as my application to the "Waiting for Hoffman" club.

lol! funny.

He's had sample chapters for one month without a peep. He's due for a follow up from this writer.

Good luck to all.

right back at ya

Leo

color me nerdy, but golly, this thread is so exciting!

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
Maprilynne said:
Sorry about that baywitch. :( Keep at it! Someone will love it!

Maprilynne

Thanks
frown.gif

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maprilynne said:
Toni, are you waiting on a partial or a full?

A full.

He requested a partial in February and 3 days later requested a full. And that's the last i heard.

However, I see he's been busy. He wrote an article on "Finding an Agent" for Writer's Digest. Here's the link:

http://www.writersdigest.com/articles/hoffman_agents.asp

Ok, Scotty, now get busy and read those manuscripts! :D

Last edited:

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
From what I understand, even most hot manuscripts take at least a month to be read. I only have one full out right now and it has been out for just over a months and I am not even worrying about it yet. I'm planning on giving her three full months before I check on it. Especially since she is a very busy agent. Maybe I'm just overly patient.:)

Did he give you a timeline? In the email requesting my partial he said to resend if I hadn't heard from him in 8 weeks. Was there anything like that for you? That might help you figure out a timeline.

Thanks for the link. I am going to go read it now.

Maprilynne

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maprilynne said:
Did he give you a timeline? In the email requesting my partial he said to resend if I hadn't heard from him in 8 weeks. Was there anything like that for you? That might help you figure out a timeline.

Maprilynne

No, no timeline. I emailed him after i sent it to be sure he had received it cause I mailed it over President's Day Weekend and he emailed me back that Tuesday that he'd received it in good shape. I understand that he's probably busy starting up the new agency, so I'll give him a few more weeks and then send a discreet inquiry.
He told you to resend after 8 weeks? He'll have mine 8 weeks next Tuesday, so maybe I'll email him after the first of May unless I hear sooner.
I was never a patient person but i am learning...slowly....;)

Branwyn

Registered
Reaction score
I think you'll get good news Toni, we sent ours out about a week apart and I got the thumbs down what? 2 weeks ago.

I'm pulling for ya!

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Folks, remember that PMs and rep comments are great for touching in. The less chatter on the threads, the easier it is for newbies to find information.

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
In case anybody wants a timeline, this is how my submission to Jenny Rappaport went :)
Sep 12, 2005 - Query
Sep 15, 2005 - Wanted 3 chapters & synopsis. Emailed and posted Sep 27.
Oct 9, 2005 - Wanted full MS. She received full MS on Oct 24. Heard back on Dec 8 saying she's almost done reading it after I sent a query as to what was happening
Jan 2, 2006 - She wrote back saying that the novel was not for her since she wasn't enthusiastic enough about it but wanted me to contact her again with my next novel :p

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Fahim said:
Heard back on Dec 8 saying she's almost done reading it after I sent a query as to what was happening

Almost done reading it? I'm willing to bet that's agent speak for it's almost to the top of the stack.