• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
The website definitely isn't working.

"Error code 22The proxy failed to resolve site from host name, if this site was recently added please allow a few minutes before trying again."

nubivagant

Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query to Erin Niumata for a 72k women's fiction on 4/6/16 and got a request for 50 pages on 4/26. A day later (speedy!) she sent me tons of feedback with critiques plus very flattering comments as well. It was ultimately a rejection, but the nicest rejection I've ever received! She seems like she'd be fabulous to work with. If it helps anyone, she seems to really enjoy a sense of humor and endearing characters but wants a plot with an extra kick that makes it stand out.

pinkbowvintage

♔
Registered
Reaction score
Just to add my own experience with this agency: I queried Erin Harris back in March 2015, and received a full request within 24 hours (less, I believe). She was very friendly and excited. I sent the full and waited. About two months later I nudged, and received a polite and complimentary rejection. Loved my voice, but thought my writing style might be more suited to the adult rather than the YA market. I was super bummed, of course, because I really like Erin, but so it goes.

I recently met her in person at an editors & agents meet and greet at my MFA program. She's very friendly, has a clear vision of what she's looking for, and seems to be shying away from "issue books" in YA; though I don't want to misquote her because that's just what I remember her saying, in a nutshell. She shook my hand and congratulated me when I told her my MS is now on sub, and said she loved my voice.

So from my experience, this is a courteous, professional agency.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Just wanted to say that I never had doubts about the legitimacy and integrity of the agency. After receiving a master's degree in Publishing and hanging around here for years, I knew the contract was completely legitimate. I was suffering from nerves and was thinking of all the things that *could* go wrong. I've sorted my head out and am feeling much more confident, thanks in no small part to the great support I've received here at AW.

Wow! Just saw that I posted this three years ago. Well, I ended up having a very bad experience with Erin Niumata at Folio. I dropped her this past fall for failing to give me adequate information about the submission process. If anyone wants more details, please send a PM or rep point.

Last edited:

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who chimed in on your post three years ago, I'm sorry to hear this, angeliz2k. :( I hope you have much more success with your next agent.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
Just want to add my experience.

Queried Emily Van Beek on August 15, 2018.
Form rejection August 16, 2018

I thought it was a pretty quick turnaround.

pls210

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Folio is one and done, or can you submit to other agents?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I don't know for certain, but this from their submission page implies they allow it, as long as you're not submitting to the agents at the same time: "Please do not submit simultaneously to more than one agent at Folio."

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
I don't know for certain, but this from their submission page implies they allow it, as long as you're not submitting to the agents at the same time: "Please do not submit simultaneously to more than one agent at Folio."

It took me some effort to find that submission page! Who'd think it's under "The Agency" tab?

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
FYI, Rachel Ekstrom is closed to queries until January 4th. It says this nowhere online, not on Folio's website or PM. It was only after I sent her my query that I received the following response:
Thanks for querying me!

This is an auto-reply to let you know that your email has been received.

Please note that I will be closed to queries from Monday, November 23rd through Monday, January 4th. If you're interested in querying one of my Folio colleagues during that time, I would encourage you to do so! If not, then I'll be happy to consider your query in the new year.

Thank you again for the opportunity to consider your work.

--Rachel

Extremely frustrating to go through all that trouble only to find out she's closed. And I don't even know if that means she will consider it come January or if I need to resend it. :rant:

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Folio is one and done, or can you submit to other agents?
For the record, this morning I spotted this on their website: https://www.foliolit.com/submit

"Generally, if an agent at Folio declines a manuscript, we felt it wasn’t a fit for any of the agents at the agency. That said, if an author feels strongly that another Folio agent should have the chance to review the author’s submission, please let the second agent know that the author has already submitted the project to other agents within Folio."

Reactions: Fiender

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Emily van Beek on 7/12 with MG fantasy.
Rejection came in this morning, 8/8.