• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
yay

I just received an email request for a partial from Jenny. Just in case, though, I ordered 20 pounds of chocolate to pass around if we all get rejected. :tongue

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
No, but he has clarified his submission preferences at Agentquery

Last edited:

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Ok, I'm imagining one of these:

1. Email from SH either saying "thanks or no thanks"
2. My MS back in a neat envelope in front of my door, either with a "No thanks, not for me" or a "send it back after you fix blah blah blah
3. I have a call on my answering machine from SH saying 'Congratulations, my new client."

Obviously I'd prefer Door Number 3
Deal or No Deal???????????????????

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Toni1953 said:
Ok, I'm imagining one of these:

1. Email from SH either saying "thanks or no thanks"
2. My MS back in a neat envelope in front of my door, either with a "No thanks, not for me" or a "send it back after you fix blah blah blah
3. I have a call on my answering machine from SH saying 'Congratulations, my new client."

Obviously I'd prefer Door Number 3
Deal or No Deal???????????????????
Sounds like #3 is a possibility. Take a deep breath, cross your fingers, and reply to the e-mail or call him back, explain that you're somewhat befuddled, and ask.

Good luck. Let us know.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Just to clarify:

those were all imaginary scenarios. I haven't heard anything yet, was just playing with some possibilities. You can bet if he left a message it would only take me a millisecond to return the call!

There are some schools of thought that the longer it takes the better, and others think the longer it takes the more likely you are to be rejected. I think it all depends on the agent. Some take awhile, others may know just what they're looking for and respond quickly.

In any case, I'm still praying and toes and fingers and anything else crossed for everyone who's sent Folio in manuscripts!

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, try not to worry about how long the agent has had the manuscript. If you try to read into those things that are out of your control, you'll drive yourself crazy. I've had a manuscript requested twice in the past six or eight months (both rejections)...one agent took less than a week, and the other took almost a month. I think you're right...it depends on the agent.

Good luck to all you Folio hopefuls!

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if Scott Hoffman is reading this, trying to figure out which manuscript or partial belongs to which AW poster. Well, probably not. Only I would do something that pointless.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, if you are reading this, Scott, you turned down a gem last week, man. A real gem.

Boethius

Thick skin reminder

I responded to a request for a read from Scott. Waited eleven weeks. Sent a polite note asking for an update. Ah, a new agency is afoot comes the eventual reply. I say, I understand, take whatever time you need. Waited another nine weeks. Contacted to check and also mention alternate idea. Shortly thereafter received one sentence rejection of said idea . . . or was it rejection of book and new idea? Couldn't tell. Sent quick note back, does this mean the original submission, also? The reply . . .no reply. Meaning, "you'll figure it out in a few days. I am too important to toss a one-sentence rejection your way after holding onto your manuscript for five months." Or something like that. I have been in publishing 20 years, in offices, I am positive, more busy than their tiny office. I find it unfortunate that this is the level of professionalism one has to deal with in this business. Of course, their "job is to take author's careers to the next level." Hopefully, that level isn't downward.

But don't be discouraged, fellow scribes, this is just a crappy industry you dare chose to meddle in. If you do not have thick skin, you don't stand a chance. It's a numbers game, like sales. Rejection isn't personal, it isn't anything but a challenge. There is always tomorrow. For reasons beyond all of our control, this industry (it's not a "literary world") is overwhelmed and nuts. Treat your manuscript like a product and make that sale. Assuming it is as good as any of the other silly books that are getting published, it will too, in time. If it's not as good, then you'll have to figure that out eventually. And you will.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
Maprilynne said:
Wow, that sure brightened my day.
smile.gif

Well, to paraphrase the disclaimers on weight loss program ads and gas mileage stickers, your experience may vary. Let's hope so.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
<sigh> You really took that wrong. I know how this business works and have had lots of rejections/bad treatment/ etc. I was just pointing out that that was a really downer post. Everyone on this thread has been trying to encourage each other and stay positive because we get beaten down plenty by agents.:)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Toni1953 said:
Well, law of averages usually dictates that sooner or later the odds tip in your favor (I hope, I hope, I hope)

This only applies for truly random events, and we're not dealing with a random event. If you're an experienced writer who has written an excellent novel then your chances are way better than if you're sending out the first thing you've ever written

Last edited: