• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing Paige found them in the misplaced area...I'd give her a few weeks to catch up before requerying.

toomanycarbs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,
Has anyone had a successful query to folio? I am looking for some advice. Their website has a sample query letter format that seems to go against everything I have read here about writing queries. Just wondering if those who did have success with folio did so with a traditional query, or following their site's direction.

Robinboots

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.RobinTidwell.com
I queried Paige on July 31; in light of the email issue, I re-queried Aug. 21 and on Aug. 22, yesterday, received a "no" with a form rejection.

Eh. I can deal, because:

Late yesterday, I received a wonderful email from a publisher who had requested a query, then a full. She said she is "likely" to be offering me a contract and had a couple questions.

Yay! I can go at least a few days on this!

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Late yesterday, I received a wonderful email from a publisher who had requested a query, then a full. She said she is "likely" to be offering me a contract and had a couple questions.

Yay! I can go at least a few days on this!

Congratulations, Robinboots! What cool news. :D

I also queried Paige Wheeler in July, and now I wonder if I should re-query because of the lost email thing, too ... Hmm.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,
Has anyone had a successful query to folio? I am looking for some advice. Their website has a sample query letter format that seems to go against everything I have read here about writing queries. Just wondering if those who did have success with folio did so with a traditional query, or following their site's direction.

I queried Scott Hoffman in 2010 with the standard ("traditional," as you say) query I sent to everyone else, and I received a request for a full. It shouldn't matter what your format is as long as you catch their eye!

MaraudingDon

Searching for Arthur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
musingsofapennilesswriter.blogspot.com.au
Hi All,

My requests from Folio agents were all from my standard query that I sent to every agent. Read QueryShark for great advice on how to write a query.

Robinboots

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.RobinTidwell.com
Thanks, Stella! I'm bouncing all over the place with this, but am trying to focus on the contract itself. Not easy, esp. since I've got an event at the bookstore tonight and have to concentrate on that too!

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Hi All,

My reading of their query letter tips was that they were essentially the same as what other agents describe as a traditional query letter.

They may have listed the necessary elements in a different order (Writer's experience before story description), but they were all the same elements I already had in my traditional query letter. So, yes, I sent my traditional query letter and got a partial request.

I hope this helps!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Erin Harris moves to Folio from Irene Skolnick

From today's Publishers Lunch

Erin Harris has moved from the Irene Skolnick Literary Agency to Folio Literary Management, where she will continue to work with existing clients and focus on growing the agency's fiction list, in addition to representing YA and select narrative non-fiction titles.

Ayles

Still Learning the Ropes.
Registered
Reaction score
Paige Wheeler

Has anyone had any recent contact with Paige Wheeler? She's at the top of my wish list for agents. I've heard mostly good things about her. :)

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From Publishers Lunch:

Melissa Sarver has joined Folio Literary Management as the co-director of international rights and will continue to represent authors in the areas of Young Adult, select literary and upmarket adult fiction, narrative non-fiction, business books and cookbooks. She was previously at The Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh- oooh! Just got asked for request for a full ms from Erin Harris at Folio!

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Merlot- Congratulations and Good luck! When did you send her your query?

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Any recent news on Jita Fumich? My partial is out with her.

TheCakeNovelist

Magically delicious
Registered
Reaction score
!!!OFFER!!!

I got an offer of rep on Feb 12th from Melissa Sarver after she requested my full on Jan 31!!!! She is wonderful! We spoke for an hour and a half, and she was just as excited about the book as I am. I have five other fulls pending, so I did my due diligence and let the other considering agents know about my offer; I plan to make my final decision on Tuesday the 19th.

I've been querying for nine months, and for all the waiting that comes with the process, when it finally happened it happened so FAST. I couldn't be happier :)

*Proof of my overwhelming joy: my not-even-two year old car up and died today in a billow of black smoke and it barely dented my buzz. (That might also be because I'm under warranty, but still ;)

Oh, ETA, mine is literary/upmarket fiction.

Last edited:

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
I got an offer of rep on Feb 12th from Melissa Sarver after she requested my full on Jan 31!!!! She is wonderful! We spoke for an hour and a half, and she was just as excited about the book as I am. I have five other fulls pending, so I did my due diligence and let the other considering agents know about my offer; I plan to make my final decision on Tuesday the 19th.

I've been querying for nine months, and for all the waiting that comes with the process, when it finally happened it happened so FAST. I couldn't be happier :)

*Proof of my overwhelming joy: my not-even-two year old car up and died today in a billow of black smoke and it barely dented my buzz. (That might also be because I'm under warranty, but still ;)

Congratulations! Melissa had my full and, though she passed on it, she was really nice to work with. I hope you two have great success working to sell your book! :)

TheCakeNovelist

Magically delicious
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all! I did accept Melissa's offer and officially signed with her last week. I have a little bit of editing to do and then we're off! :hooray:

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com

Congrats TCN!!!!!!! :D:TheWave: