Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Folio Literary Management

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Has anybody heard from Scott one way or another?

I queried Jita Fumich with an urban fantasy on Oct 18, 2011. I hadn't heard from her by her 2-4 week response time (as posted on her Agent Bio page), so I sent her a re-query on Jan 20, 2012 (about 3 months after the first query).

I've just passed the 4 week mark again since my re-query.

Should I just try a different agent at Folio? It's a shame, since she'd be a perfect match (in terms of interests), and I appreciate that Folio doesn't like submissions to multiple agents.

I'm no expert Tim, but you may want to cool your jets. I'm thinking that it's a no if it took 3 months on the first and it's been 4 weeks on the second. But I wouldn't send a query (on the same project) to another agent in this agency for some time, if I were you. Four weeks is still in the generally acceptable response window and sending another query to someone in this agency while this is out there would still constitute a multiple submission.
    Divination is back, better than ever. Click on the image to get it on Amazon Kindle.

Something clever here BethanyCM's Avatar
    If you haven't heard from an agent in their window of response time and they are no-response=no, you can query someone else there.
    Speculative Literary author
    Rep'd by Mark Gottlieb, Trident Media Group
    THE LAST LIFE OF AVRILIS (Month9Books, 2016)
    Author site: Bethany C Morrow
    Personal Blog:
    Expatriate Games

Thanks for the feedback! Very good points.

From what I see on her Bio, she is a "responder": "I will respond to queries within 2-4 weeks."

But I'll wait anyway. Surely two queries is sufficient. I don't want to make a pest of myself after all. Besides, I have a few irons in the fire elsewhere (or rather the same iron in other fires elsewhere). Perhaps it's just not meant to be with Folio.

I do see that Jita just joined Twitter, so maybe that's a good sign?

practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar
    I sent a query to Scott through his webform today for my historical fiction. After researching him I am excited about the prospect. I don't know how I didn't come across him earlier, because it seems like we would be a good match. Will post back once I hear something.
    Bryan

practical experience, FTW K. Victoria Chase's Avatar
    Anyone have any experience with Claudia Cross?
    K. Victoria Chase
    Author of Interracial Romance
    Amazon Amazon UK B&N Sony

Quote Originally Posted by timjolly View Post
    I queried Jita Fumich with an urban fantasy on Oct 18, 2011. I hadn't heard from her by her 2-4 week response time (as posted on her Agent Bio page), so I sent her a re-query on Jan 20, 2012 (about 3 months after the first query).

I've just passed the 4 week mark again since my re-query.

Should I just try a different agent at Folio? It's a shame, since she'd be a perfect match (in terms of interests), and I appreciate that Folio doesn't like submissions to multiple agents.
    Just got my partial request from Jita!

Turns out that SPAM filters are my bane. She was extremely apologetic about the delay in response, which I thought was very gracious, especially considering it wasn't her fault at all.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

I also enjoy that she asks for the first 100 pages: my novel takes quite a turn after the first 50, so it can throw agents off if they only ask for the first few chapters.

Whoa, two in one day! Just got my e-ject from Claudia. I might have to break open a box of Girl Scout cookies. ;-)
    K. Victoria Chase

Quote Originally Posted by timjolly View Post
    Just got my partial request from Jita!

Turns out that SPAM filters are my bane. She was extremely apologetic about the delay in response, which I thought was very gracious, especially considering it wasn't her fault at all.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

I also enjoy that she asks for the first 100 pages: my novel takes quite a turn after the first 50, so it can throw agents off if they only ask for the first few chapters.
    Best wishes!!!
    K. Victoria Chase

practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar
    Got a form rejection from Scott on Friday. Oh well, onward I go. Just sent another query out. My agent is out there!!!
    Bryan

Question to those of you who've submitted to these folks: did you use your regular query letter? Their sample query letter seems to be very different from the standard, at least as I understand it to be. Instead of "information on the novel" being the main focus, it's just one of many other points - hook, personalized "why I think we'd be a good match", background info, submission info. So it looks like they'd like people to sum up their novels in 3 sentences or so, no? Happy to do that, but if no one else is, maybe I'm reading this wrong. Posting the sample query link below.

http://foliolit.com/submissions/basi...query-letters/

Unmasking Maya on Amazon

Fashioning a Romance on Amazon

Espresso Macchiato, a FREE short story on Smashwords

My Blog

They're asking for a log line and the like in addition to the standard query blurb of about 250 words (which is the basic standard).

Yes, when I q'd, I used my normal query which begins with the reason I'm q'ing that particular agent, then the logline then the 250 words then the closing. I'm currently waiting to hear back on a full request with them.
    Personal Blog:
    Expatriate Games

Aaah. I thought it was supposed to be around 250 words total. Lawdy, I miss living in the UK where you don't have to go the query route. I should be able to rearrange a few things.

Thanks so much for answering my question, Bethany, and congrats and good luck on the full!

Unmasking Maya on Amazon

Fashioning a Romance on Amazon

Espresso Macchiato, a FREE short story on Smashwords

My Blog

All told, I think mine is only about 15-20 words over that. Other than pubbing credits, there shouldn't be too much more you need to say, yeah?
    Personal Blog:
    Expatriate Games

Does anyone know when Emily Van Beek might open up to queries again?

practical experience, FTW
    Does anyone know if Jita Fumich has had any sales?

Aspiring to be non-rejected luxisufeili's Avatar
    Sent a query to Molly Jaffa today. Stalked some of her interviews on several blogs and she seems awesomely awesome.

practical experience, FTW
    I submitted to Molly Jaffe on July 3. No news yet. Don't know if she's a non responder.

Just an update. Paige Wheeler has had my full since October. I've sent her three nudges starting at the six month mark and haven't heard back as yet. (I'll make sure to update if/when I do.)

Especially since it was an upgrade from a partial (on which she or her reader/intern/someone took 9.5 weeks to reply), I am surprised by the nonresponse. I still don't venture a guess - although I'm sure plenty of people would just write it off - as to why the lack of communication since I'm completely ignorant of how her duties as co-founder and agent break down. I'd welcome the chance to hear her thoughts on the ms, esp as I have an r&r on it from another agent.
    Personal Blog:
    Expatriate Games

practical experience, FTW D.Owczarek's Avatar
    Sent Scott Hoffman a query through the webform on 7/15/12
    Received a form reject on 7/23/12

I sent Scott a query and he rejected, but he has to be the best agent in replying--he was very positive, and even encouraged some things ie re-do the query, and try again instead of just the "sorry, but not for me goodluck finding someone" rejection
    "I want the world with no consequences" - VersaEmerge
    THE UNITY - Querying atm - 1 partial out
    Book 2 - Outline complete
    Book 3
    Book 4
    Book 5

"Prima Donna Reincarnate" - Working on outline

Hi, my name is Pauline :-)

practical experience, FTW D.Owczarek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgermanos View Post
    I sent Scott a query and he rejected, but he has to be the best agent in replying--he was very positive, and even encouraged some things ie re-do the query, and try again instead of just the "sorry, but not for me goodluck finding someone" rejection
    Yeah, even the form rejection I got had a lot of useful info in it.

Met Paige Wheeler at RWA last week. Very nice and friendly. Got a partial request. Will update on times when I send it in.
    K. Victoria Chase

in my own little corner, in my own little chair
    Paige tweeted tonight: "I just found out that my query email addy has been misplacing emails for months! Yikes. Sorry everyone."

I wonder if that means we should requery if she hasn't responded or if she found the queries she's been missing and will now be catching up?
    I haz blog--The Cinderella Diaries

I makes like a birdie here!--Tweet-Tweet!

amazon.com

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151920212223242526272829 LastLast