• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Got my rejection from Scott Hoffman first thing this morning. He said that I'm a very good writer, but the voice was too adult, and the first fifty pages weren't quite strong enough to draw in a reader. I'm glad he was nice about it, at least.

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaargh! I'm sorry, Beckstah. I was so hoping this would be the one for you. Next time? Big hugs to you and I'm glad he had some ?helpful? comments. Or at least specifics as to why it was a no go. I think that helps with possible rewrites.

I know this has been said before, but it really stinks knowing you're good, but...

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Got my rejection from Scott Hoffman first thing this morning. He said that I'm a very good writer, but the voice was too adult, and the first fifty pages weren't quite strong enough to draw in a reader. I'm glad he was nice about it, at least.

:Hug2: I'm sorry, Beckstah.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my entire correspondence with him:

4/07: Query
5/08: Phone call from Cicily Janus asking for the full
7/1: Message from Cicily telling me that she sent it to Scott with her recommendation
7/14: Rejection

MrKennedy

Registered
Reaction score
I hate to do it because he was a dream agent of mine, but I guess I have to put Scott in the no respondy = no likey column. It's been over four months with no word on my first 50 pgs and no response to either of my follow ups. I can understand being busy delaying someone a couple of days, or even weeks, but it's only my first 50...why is it taking months when other people who have submitted after me have had their fulls read?

jennifer williams

Registered
Reaction score
I got a partial request from Marcy Posner but couldn't grant her exclusivity. Luckily, she told me to send it anyway but to let her know if I got an offer from the other agents. :) Even though I got an auto-responder that she was out of office, she still responded to my query and email pretty quickly.

Kaitlin Bartlett

Registered
Reaction score
Just queried Molly Jaffa! I'm really excited; according to her page on the Folio site, she has a two-week max turnaround time! And she sounds like such an amazing agent, just from what i've read in her bio! :)

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I got a partial request from Marcy Posner but couldn't grant her exclusivity. Luckily, she told me to send it anyway but to let her know if I got an offer from the other agents. :) Even though I got an auto-responder that she was out of office, she still responded to my query and email pretty quickly.

This is good to know! I just got a request from her but likewise an unable to grant an exclusive. But her request was worded so strongly with regards to the exclusive that I was unsure about asking if I could send it regardless.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I got an email from Marcy Posner a few days ago, saying my writing was "very good" (I had sent her a query +10) but the premise was not her thing. She told me to think of her for future projects. I knew it was a long shot but I replied saying I was working on something new at the moment, gave her a one line pitch, and told her I could send her what I had if she was interested. She responded today saying it didn't really sound like her thing. So being the persistent bastard that I am I clarified what the story was about...and managed to talk her into requesting the full. But only after I finish it, put it away for a while, and edit it (her words). lol.

Last edited:

LA Carlson

Registered
Reaction score
YA Query

Marcy Posner of Folio Literary Management appears to be a professional agent. She offered a suggestion for my query letter and reviewed the first few chapters of my manuscript for 30 days. I consider getting an invite to look at anything during the summer a bonus. While she decided not to pursue it I didn't take it personally. Instead I took the opportunity to send her a professional reply, revise my letter and began sending out queries again. Remember this is a subjective business, keep writing and believe in yourself!!
It will happen.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have the somewhat dubious honor of being rejected twice by the same agent for the same work, lol. A couple months back I got an email from Cicily saying that Scott was passing on my manuscript. So I'm like, kay. Well, sort of, but anyway, today I have an email from scott hoffman sitting in my inbox and I'm like OH CRAP HE CHANGED HIS MIND but it was just another full rejection, but this time directly from him. Pretty sure it was a form, though I have to give him credit, it was a very nicely worded form.

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
Molly requested a first 50 + synop today. Queried on 7/30, pretty good turnaround time I say.
I would love to be agent buddies with G. Stein.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Anyone hear from Paige? She requested a partial on 4/27 and I nudged her earlier this week, but haven't heard anything.

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Molly Jaffa on a partial lately? Judging from Querytracker, she seems to have really quick turnarounds--especially with works she likes.

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Molly Jaffa on a partial lately? Judging from Querytracker, she seems to have really quick turnarounds--especially with works she likes.

LOL I think we have requests from the same agents and all :D
She told me she usually replies within three weeks for a first 50. She replied in 12 days for my query.

Loquacis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, tilt! Three weeks is coming up really soon for me, so I guess we'll see, huh ;D

Funny how we have requests from a number of the same agents! I wish you all the best.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
Anyone hear from Paige? She requested a partial on 4/27 and I nudged her earlier this week, but haven't heard anything.

Queried her on 07-30-10
Received a request for partial on morning of 08-02-10
Sent partial on evening of 08-02-10
Waiting patiently....

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I finally heard from Paige. My stats:

Query: 4/25
Partial request: 4/27 (sent same day)
Rejection: 8/31

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
Emily van Beek

Hi,

On Emily van Beek's page she writes: If you're a novelist, please include a synopsis, the first ten pages of your manuscript, and any relevant information (such as previous publishing experience) in the body of your email.

Does that mean a query letter + a separate synopsis + the first ten pages? Or does she mean the synopsis should be part of the query?