• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
My first full rejection was also a form. Then I got another full form R the next day. And another full form R the day after that. It was basically a nightmare :( But we all get through it and I honestly think my manuscript is stronger. But...I guess we'll see if an agent feels that way some day.

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The first few really hurt and then, sadly, you get a little used to it. At least that's been my experience. But I new at this too, I only have nine rejections so far. I'll let you know after the first hundred or so, I may change my take on it.

Keep querying and keep writing and good luck!

hoyateach

Dancing with limbo sticks
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't bothered keeping track but I know I've been rejected over 100 times. The only thing to do is keep writing, keep improving, and keep querying.

Hang in there.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
My first novel was rejected over a hundred times.

As for this current one? So far one partial reject, and one agent, after reading the query + first ten, told me the pages were overwritten and needed a lot of work (I was depressed for two days after that...) A while later, another agent requested a partial off the query and first 10 pages, and Cicily had requested a full based on the first fifty prior to that. It's a tough, subjective business. Don't let it get you down.

Last edited:

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Rejection

Jumping into the post holiday fray. I was impressed Michelle worked on the holiday - I hadn't expected to hear from anyone on Monday, but I got my eight week-rejection letter yesterday. Can't say it made me happy - especially since it was a form letter - but at least that question's answered. ;D

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Anyone know anything about Emily van Beek's response times? I e-queried on May 23. I know that's no time at all, but I'd like some idea of whether the eight weeks is company wide. Plus, I signed on to join the handwringing chit chat.

-Debbie

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, too. I know Pippin has the 3 weeks with no reply = no, but it sounds like Folio is different.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
one person on querytracker apparently waited about two weeks. That's all I know so far.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Emily van Beek has an average response time of 4 days for positive responses and 30 days for negative responses.

She gives a response about 20% of the time, about 10% of the time she requests a partial and about 2% of the time she requests a full.

You should really learn to use QueryTracker, all the info is there.

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
My form R was quick and painless :) 1 day.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Well all those stats from querytracker are from the info that people submit, right? I assume. A lot of people are querying that aren't submitting that info, which means the results may not be 100% accurate all the time...again, I assume.

Also response times can sometimes fluctuate depending on a variety of things the author (and sometimes the agent) can't control. It's better to stick to whatever timeline they might give on their site (ie - over 8 weeks and it's a no etc.). But in the end, you never know. You might end up waiting months for an answer from a 'fast-responding' agent. Or vice versa lol.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Also, most of the info on her at Querytracker is from when she was at Pippin. Folio generally tends to send an actual response, whereas Pippin doesn't unless interested. So the Querytracker data is not necessarily an accurate representation of things as they now are. Give it a year... ;)

jennifer williams

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her on May 17 and just got a nice form rejection today. And I queried her after she joined Folio if that helps anyone :)

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
You should really learn to use QueryTracker, all the info is there.

Thanks Drachen. Query Tracker is on my list, but I'm joining one thing per week or so. Otherwise, I'd never work out how to still write.

I also didn't know if the stats would apply since Emily has a new gig.

Somehow I missed what she said on her page of Folio's site - 4-6 weeks. Of course, that doesn't mean she's true to it, but it gives us a guideline. Thanks to everyone else who replied too.

Keep us posted on the submissions fare.

-Debbie

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I just posted an interview with Molly Jaffa on my blog today. It's specifically geared toward queriers - and I made sure to ask her that age-old question about the difference between magical realism and paranormal/urban fantasy, since she likes one but not the other:)

Here's the link:

http://motherwrite.blogspot.com/2010/06/interview-with-agent-molly-jaffa.html

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back from her (or one of her colleagues)!

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Molly Jaffa

Thanks, Krista! Great interview. I've checked out their site and it looks like Molly is only interested in YA & MG and my story is Adult, but I still appreciated her comments.

hoyateach

Dancing with limbo sticks
Registered
Reaction score
Cicily wrote to me today and said she was taking a pass. Oh, well.

Next!

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that Hoyateach. :(

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Hoyateach!

Eeek, lots of answers from Scott and Cicily lately. I'm probably still a little ways down the line, but my MS has been out for over four weeks, so we're getting there.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, forgot to update with request news.

Sent a query to Emily van Beek on May 31 and received a full request half an hour later.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Sage. I'm seeing your full requests all over the place!
Congratulations and good luck!
Be sure to keep us updated.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Sage. I just got a reject from her myself. For those keeping track of dates, I sent the query May 23. The reject was very nicely written though probably a form. I like it when they take the time to have pleasant forms.

On to the next one.

-Debbie

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
lolk, so I had fulls rejected by both Scott and Emily. Weird situation, Emily was interested, spoke to Scott, who had an exclusive, Scott decided to "pass the baton" to her since she specializes in YA, the next day I get a rejection from Scott (?), and the day after that, a rejection from Emily. Emily was very quick to get back - I sent the full on a friday and she got back to me on the following Tuesday.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, that sucks - I'm so sorry!

That gets me nervous for what'll happen to my full if it gets Cicily's seal of approval, since I write YA too. At least I've already been rejected by Emily, I think. I sent her a query while she was with Pippin Properties and I never heard anything.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I sent her a query on May 24th so hopefully she gets back to me...a lot of agents I've been querying have been no-responsers to me specifically even though they've R'd other folks. It's so weird :/