• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Too bad Folio doesn't send email confirmation to let you know they got it. I can't help but think I'm gonna wait the six to eight weeks only to find out they never received it.

Did you snail it? Next time just mail it w/delivery confirmation. Meanwhile, you certainly could email the assistant and let her know you accidentally neglected to and could she confirm rec?

If you emailed it, do they specifically state they don't confirm? There's nothing wrong with asking if they could, if not. Granted, they may not answer, but you can ask.

And good luck on your full. :)

skippingstone

Bouncing Atop the Water
Registered
Reaction score
Can't believe I finally get to post some good news:

Equery to Molly Jaffa 4/19 (YA SF)
Requested partial 4/19
Requested full 4/22
Offer of representation 4/27

Offer joyously accepted by moi 4/29

Words fail me. Which probably isn't good considering my line of work. ;)

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
That's fantastic, skippingstone! From E-query to repped in 10 days. Wow. Did you post in Goals and Accomplishments yet? You'll get all kinds of free drinks and stuff over there. : )

I've done a revision for an agent at Folio. Maybe we'll be agency mates someday.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I'm jealous. Well done, and congrats!

skippingstone

Bouncing Atop the Water
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all!

Honeysock: it was either 10 days or 10 years, depending on how you look at it. :)

I'll head over to Goals & Accomplishments later today. Nothing I love more than free drinks.

Goldsoundz

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Skippingstone.

Mr. A, have you heard anything back yet???

hoyateach

Dancing with limbo sticks
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, skippingstone! Would that go as well for the rest of us.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Goldsoundz - nope, not yet. Been 4 weeks. I think I'm going to get some serious work done on a revised draft, and if I haven't heard back by the time I finish (probably around the 5-6 week mark) I'll ask if I can send it along and cross my fingers for an update in the process.

RSned05

Registered
Reaction score
How long on average does it take for this agency to respond to a query?

I'm new here btw. I sent a query via e-mail to Jeff Kleinman a little over a week ago. I've also sent out approximately 5 other queries. I only got a reply from one (Anderson Literary Management) a few days ago. It was a nice form rejection letter saying that they really considered my novel but at this time it wasn't right for them. This is my very first time querying agents so I don't really know what to expect. Also are there different types of form rejection letters or is there only one type that they send out to everyone? Thanks for any help.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
WOW. I sent a query to Scott Hoffman on 4/6, and I just got a PHONE CALL from Cicily Janus asking for the full! She was really wonderful and very complimentary about the concept. I think I'll go prep my full. And then scream a lot.

hoyateach

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I hope it all works out.

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Congratulations, Beckstah! That's wonderful!

I confess, I've wanted to sub to Scott for a long time, but Michelle Brower told me three years ago she'd be interested in my ms once I got a few bugs worked out. They're gone, I've subbed three times now and the last time she told me she'd never received anything. It's been four + weeks, now.

Should I status query again? Just sub to Scott? He seems to have a great response time. Before re-subbing to Michelle, I took the http:// out of my signature in case that caused my emails to be blocked. I know Michelle responds to people. She responded to my Status Query four weeks ago! LOL. I just don't know what to do about it. I suspect Scott would be the better fit for my work, but she said she was interested....

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Beckstah, that's awesome!! I think if I got a phonecall from an agent I'd have a coronary:)

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! And Hester, it'll happen to you. I've seen your query, so I have faith. :D

I think I somehow managed not to have a coronary... I think. I don't actually remember that much of the conversation aside from the parts I've repeated to people several times, so for all I know, I wasn't half as eloquent as I think I was.

Ronempress, I'd suggest SQing Michelle and clearing things up with her first. If she said she was interested, that's a very good sign, and she probably wouldn't be too happy if you queried her colleague...

EDIT: Some news! Apparently Emily van Beek, formerly of Pippin Properties, will be joining Folio.
http://kathytemean.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/emily-van-beek-leaves-pippin-for-folio-management/

Last edited:

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo Beckstah!! Best of luck. I'm pretty new to this but, wow, can't help but be inspired.

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Question for those of you who submitted to one agent at Folio and were passed onto a different interested agent: How long did that process take?

Goldsoundz

Registered
Reaction score
Did everybody who got a request for a full from Cicily get the 6-8 week waiting period also? Just wondering if anyone can explain to me what goes on during that period, and why it takes so long. Not that I'm complaining. I'm okay with keeping the hope alive for as long as possible. But perhaps if I understood the process better I'd quit gnawing my fingers in anticipation. Maybe.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
gold - been just over six weeks for me. The way I understand it, Cicily reads the full, if she doesn't like it she rejects, if she does like it she passes it on to Scott, who reads and then makes the final decision about whether to offer representation or not. I actually just sent Cicily an email last friday asking if I could maybe send in a revised version of the manuscript, in the event that She and Scott had not yet gotten to it. Haven't yet gotten a response.

Goldsoundz

Registered
Reaction score
A revised manuscript, huh? I got one of those too. I'm at four weeks. Four super long weeks. I hoped to hear something back before now but since I'm new to this I wasn't sure what to expect. I'd like to think no news is good news, but thats probably not the case. Let me know how it goes when Cicily calls/emails you. I'll do the same.

hoyateach

Registered
Reaction score
I posted my experiences not long ago. In my case, it took about 3 weeks from full MS request to a decision on whether or not to kick it up the ladder. It's been about 6 weeks since it's been in Scott's hands. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to think no news is good news, but thats probably not the case.

Generally, I'd say its neither good news nor bad news - most often the agent just hasn't gotten to it yet.

However, seeing how this is a two step process, one being getting past Cicily and the other being getting past Scott, I'd say the longer you wait the better the chance is that you at least made it past Cicily.

Hoyateach, thanks for posting that link!